Tropical Storm Jose

stev5138

What you're eating will impact your water needs too, someone eating canned soup will likely not need as much water as someone eating peanut butter on crackers for days, if you don't have access to veggies etc, you may end up drinking more than you normally would.

Sometimes that's the ONLY time people can book a cruise. We've cruised several times over the years in Hurricane season due to the significant difference in price, as well as just the timing of our vacations and never had any problems with hurricanes. However, we are due to leave out of Galveston on the 23rd of September and headed to Jamaica and are praying for a great but safe trip - after all it is our 20th wedding anniversary and while I want it to be memorable, I do NOT want it to be memorable due to a hurricane. Continuing to pray for all involved and in Harvey, Irma's and Jose's path.....

Understand 12 months in a year.... pick your poison and hope gor the best. I wish you and yours a Happy Anniversary...

To all: Please don't let anyone shame you for booking a cruise during hurricane season. The official 2017 Atlantic hurricane season runs for a full SIX MONTHS. People with other problems in their lives are taking the opportunity to momentarily feel superior/smug by making these comments. Ignore them. Really.

Shame someone for booking during hurricane season? Hell I care less if you buy half of a house in the gulf....

Some people want to feel sorry/ hurt when others just never know the the story behind the comments!

To all: Please don't let anyone shame you for booking a cruise during hurricane season. The official 2017 Atlantic hurricane season runs for a full SIX MONTHS. People with other problems in their lives are taking the opportunity to momentarily feel superior/smug by making these comments. Ignore them. Really.

I agree.

Keith

We had an ice storm here in Quebec about 20 years ago, my parents had no power for 3 months.
And we had an ice storm in Boston ten years ago and we were without power for less than 3 minutes. The point is which is the more general case and which is the extremely unfortunate rarity?

Hurricanes are not rarities. This hurricane is a bit unusual, but its impact on cruises is not unusual: The same kinds of impacts are felt by some cruise passengers every year, like clockwork.

" It could just be a whole lot of rain like last year when they predicted Matthew to wreak havoc, and all it did was rain all day. "

Matthew did not just rain all day, it flooded a huge part of the county I live in, it killed 43 people. There are still people not back in their homes because the homes were under water to their roofs. Hope you never have to live with a hurricane like Matthew.

This post is not aimed at anyone and is just my thoughts. Cruising is like a bargain all inclusive vacation with some exceptions and the cruise lines don't make any itinerary promises. It is the chance you take. Their first concern is your safety and if that means changing the itinerary or canceling the cruise then you shouldn't get upset. You have every right to be disappointed but remember, the cruise lines want you to live!!

The ocean can be merciless and I have seen how bad she can get so I would rather have a Cruise canceled then live through one of those again. Be thankful the cruise line has the safety of it crew and passengers as their priority.

Safe and happy cruising everyone![emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Man, Barbuda and St. Maarten just can't catch a break this week. Barbuda is back under a hurricane watch again and St. Maarten is under tropical storm watch also. Hurricane Jose is now a Cat 3 hurricane and its projected path takes it right over Barbuda and almost over St. Maarten. What Irma did get now Jose will finish it off. 2 major hurricanes in a weeks period is insane.

I think it was Anthem, or at least Anthem sailed into a nasty late winter storm and made news doing it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/02/08/anthem-cruise-ship-storm/79997114/

I suppose eventually someone will come along and say, "I would NEVER book a cruise outside of the month of May ..."

Actually Anthem has sailed into two winter 'hurricanes', and it's amazing no one was hurt.

It's always wise to be prepared, and you can never have enough water, but the hoarding that's going on already is a bit absurd and I solely blame it on media.

LOL...blame someone I guess...once again, people have free will and a brain (well???) to make their own decisions in life and those that stayed behind in their homes in TX only to be stranded and needing help to get out (putting others in danger in the process) in the end are probably really sorry now that they didn't listen...people LOVE to blame for others for everything these days....:confused:

It's always wise to be prepared, and you can never have enough water, but the hoarding that's going on already is a bit absurd and I solely blame it on media.

LOL...blame someone I guess...once again, people have free will and a brain (well???) to make their own decisions in life and those that stayed behind in their homes in TX only to be stranded and needing help to get out (putting others in danger in the process) in the end are probably really sorry now that they didn't listen...people LOVE to blame for others for everything these days....:confused:

I doubt the media told folk to build their houses in a flood plain, or next to a bayou, or in the path of emergency releases from lakes and reservoirs? Some of the homes in Texas have been flooded 3 years in a row.

I doubt the media told folk to build their houses in a flood plain, or next to a bayou, or in the path of emergency releases from lakes and reservoirs? Some of the homes in Texas have been flooded 3 years in a row.

Most of the houses are not in a flood plain, thus, the reason most don't pay the extra premium for a flood insurance. But yes, do tell us Texans all about it from NY :rolleyes:

Local government told residents to shelter in place. It is mathematically IMPOSSIBLE to evacuate a metro area that has a population larger than 30 other entire states in the US, in a 2 day period even with contraflow lanes. Over 100 people died on the highways during Hurricane Rita trying to evacuate. Cars were stranded for days out of gas and people's water supply was used up. Had Rita not took a last minute turn, thousands would have died stranded on the highways. Harvey was a 1000 year flood event. People LOVE to talk about what they don't know about...especially from other states :confused:

Man, Barbuda and St. Maarten just can't catch a break this week. Barbuda is back under a hurricane watch again and St. Maarten is under tropical storm watch also. Hurricane Jose is now a Cat 3 hurricane and its projected path takes it right over Barbuda and almost over St. Maarten. What Irma did get now Jose will finish it off. 2 major hurricanes in a weeks period is insane.

And don't look now, there's another tropical wave developing off the west coast of Africa. Maybe this one will deteriorate and not turn into Hurricane Lee.(yn)

Local government told residents to shelter in place. It is mathematically IMPOSSIBLE to evacuate a metro area that has a population larger than 30 other entire states in the US, in a 2 day period even with contraflow lanes. Over 100 people died on the highways during Hurricane Rita trying to evacuate. Cars were stranded for days out of gas and people's water supply was used up. Had Rita not took a last minute turn, thousands would have died stranded on the highways. Harvey was a 1000 year flood event. People LOVE to talk about what they don't know about...especially from other states :confused:

Katrina was a 100 year storm and Harvey was a 1000 year storm. Yet there was, what, 12 years between? Worse storms at a higher frequency, yet there isn't global warming? Hmmm....:confused:

Hurricane cycles, like sunspot cycles, are rhythmic. A 1,000 year storm means 1 chance in a thousand it will occur EVERY year. The good coming out of Harvey and Irma is we are having it plainly pointed out that it should be illegal to build residential property, timeshares, or hotels within flood plains or within 1,000 feet of a shoreline.

Cars were stranded for days out of gas and people's water supply was used up. Had Rita not took a last minute turn, thousands would have died stranded on the highways.

Then it sounds like the media was spot on and you should stock up (or hoard as many call it) if you can not get out...sounds like a plan to me and I would do the same....good luck!!!

yet there isn't global warming? Hmmm....:confused:

Exactly....just a bunch of hype I guess....

Most of the houses are not in a flood plain, thus, the reason most don't pay the extra premium for a flood insurance. But yes, do tell us Texans all about it from NY :rolleyes:

The knuckleheads love their armchair quarterbacking, don't they? They have no idea that a lot of people in the Houston area that flooded are actually advised whether to buy flood insurance or not when they bought their houses depending on where they live. Our realtor told us there was no need as we weren't in a flood zone. We were lucky the retention ponds in the neighborhood did their job. The few hours that the rain slacked off on the second morning saved us. Those few hours let our streets drain, and luckily it never got heavy enough over the next few days to be a threat. So many other weren't so lucky. Next thing you know they'll be giving Earthquake advice to people in California.

Everyone knows that you can get blizzards in Dec. Jan. and Feb. Why take a flight then?

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Forums mobile app

Exactly my thoughts! I Strongly dislike flying and winter months terrify me. I also fear being stuck in airports. I always purchase insurance and have cruised September and July.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Yes, no perfect season. Life happens and no need to bash people. What works for one may not work for the other. Praying all are safe and vacations enjoyed.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app