Changing Itinerary?

JennieCoconut

Hello all.

I'm scheduled to take my honeymoon on the Gem on 10/31 for an 11 night Caribbean cruise. Irma is pretty much hitting all of our expected ports (San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, St. Martin and Tortola). If the docks are damaged, what happens? Will NCL let us know ahead of time if we are changing our itineraries? We have never been to Caribbean before so any islands will be great. Just wondering because I like to plan ahead.

Thanks!

Yes, they will let you know.

As to when - NOBODY and I mean nobody knows when that will be. They will continue to monitor and work with locals as to when they are ready to take tourists. They want folks there as soon as possible, but the cruise line wants to make sure it is a reasonable visit. You may not hear until a few days or weeks before hand.

We were due to dock in Honningsvåg earlier this year but had to tender as the wharf had been hit by another boat, MS Trollfjord, two days earlier. You never know what will happen at any port till you arrive there, or not!!

We were also due in Kirkwall but it was cancelled 36 hours out much to the disgust of the locals!!!

Hello all.

I'm scheduled to take my honeymoon on the Gem on 10/31 for an 11 night Caribbean cruise. Irma is pretty much hitting all of our expected ports (San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, St. Martin and Tortola). If the docks are damaged, what happens? Will NCL let us know ahead of time if we are changing our itineraries? We have never been to Caribbean before so any islands will be great. Just wondering because I like to plan ahead.

Thanks!

Give them a couple of weeks to assess the damage. There is another hurricane heading that way right now. Until they can assess the damage there is no way for the cruise lines to plan. It will be a very fluid situation for the foreseeable future. Don't believe anyone who tells you it will be OK in seven weeks, that is not likely to be the case. Irma is one of, if not the most destructive storm to ever hit the Caribbean.

I am booked on the same cruise and was getting very curious as to how NCL handles these delicate situations so I called them about 3 hours ago. I was told that they have to evaluate each stop (both the pier and the island itself) and then they make the decision if they will stop at the island. They told me not to expect an answer for several weeks. I was told that they try to find other ports first before having to make it another Sea Day.

I agree. I saw pictures of St Martins cruise dock along with many other photos. I do not see that being back to normal by the time we get there. I just hope we stop at other islands. I do not want more days at sea!

Give them a couple of weeks to assess the damage. There is another hurricane heading that way right now. Until they can assess the damage there is no way for the cruise lines to plan. It will be a very fluid situation for the foreseeable future. Don't believe anyone who tells you it will be OK in seven weeks, that is not likely to be the case. Irma is one of, if not the most destructive storm to ever hit the Caribbean.

I am booked on the same cruise and was getting very curious as to how NCL handles these delicate situations so I called them about 3 hours ago. I was told that they have to evaluate each stop (both the pier and the island itself) and then they make the decision if they will stop at the island. They told me not to expect an answer for several weeks. I was told that they try to find other ports first before having to make it another Sea Day.

I hope they will find other ports. We already have quite a few sea days. Not sure about the other stops but I've heard St Martin and St Kitts are pretty much destroyed. So terrible.

Op,I don't think anyone can answer your questions right now, not even NCL. Lord knows thery have a lot on their minds right how, they probably would rather not have a lot of calls with questions that absolutely can not be answered at this time. I remember working for a major hotel chain during and after Andrew. Everyone wanted answers, we were just trying to help those who were in need of a place to stay. I do know, as others have said, NCL will do all they can to visit the ports scheduled or find another port if possible.

Good luck and have a great wedding. Things will work out.

With the possibility the Easten route is a no go, Western will more than likely be the choice.

Then it becomes how many ships can the Western ports handle a day.

You will NCL, Carnival, RCI , and others vying for dock/tender space.

It's going to be interesting for sure.

you will be fine. If the ship can not dock, then can tender instead. If they can not tender or dock, they just skip the port and have another sea day

If the docks are damaged tendering won't help if their is nobody to run the excursions. From the photos I have seen from St Maarten, St Thomas, Tortola many many cars and buses have been under 5-8 feet of water not to mention the destruction to the homes and businesses.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4403243/richard-branson-hurricane-irma-necker-island/

So this is a post from someone in st Thomas usvi today. Mostly describes the hotel up on the mountain you see with the red roof tops when your sailing in

This is a post from Jr Goldsmith:

So to give you all some insight St Thomas is completely devastated! The Castle was hit extremely hard! Roof is off Hilltop 1, and Villas, as well as one building in PP. other buildings roofs that are not off are in very bad shape. 245 plus sliders have been blown out, and pretty much every unit has taken in massive water in every building. The ceiling in the lobby is down for the most part. As I have heard up to this post everyone survived so that's all that matters, we can always re build, but it will take quite sometime! What people did not realize in a storm like this that hurricane shutters are great but if there wasn't and windows cracked open just a little but to get cross ventilation through the pressure was so massive it was like an explosion. Walls and ceilings are cracked and crumbled, the damage is massive at the castle to say the least. French town is gone, buildings and is under water, as well as the airport under water. The Hospital top two floors all windows blown out and roof is off. Storm surge is at 12 feet and rising, it is floor blocks past Main Street at this time of the post. There has been over a foot of water dumped, and half a foot more to fall over night. They are still receiving 75 mph gusts at this time. Please keep praying as this storm makes Hugo and Marilyn look like bad thunderstorm!

The world-renowned Maho Beach is totally lost.The beach where landing planes fly flat over the beachers before landing is no longer.

The same goes for the adjacent bars like Sunset Bar and Grill and Tortuga Beach Café.

For example, the Character Beach bar has been completely wiped away.

the damage to the Princess Juliana airport is high

I know it's not just the OP that will have these questions, and after reading some first-hand damage assessments this morning, I realize that answers may not be available for months.

The USVI's, BVI's, SXM are the most busiest cruise ports in the E. Caribbean. They are so damaged, basic infrastructure is destroyed. There are so many power polls down, there are not enough replacements. The hospital on STT has lost its roof. The tourist bars and restaurants are gone. Taxi drivers vehicles were flooded. Vast amounts of the islanders are homeless and without basic necessities. These islands will have to save their own populous before they could ever consider taking on a cruiseship, whether the pier is damaged or not. I don't know what is going to happen, no one does. I do know that it will reshape the cruise industry, at least in the short term, probably longer.

If you have a Caribbean cruise scheduled in the next--who knows-- 2, 3, 4, 5 months?-- it will probably be different than what you originally expected.

This is all aside from what could happen in the home ports of MIA, FLL and PC this weekend.

Thanks. I wouldn't have called. I know they are dealing with people whose trips are cancelled. I don't care where we go, it'll all be new to us!

Op,I don't think anyone can answer your questions right now, not even NCL. Lord knows thery have a lot on their minds right how, they probably would rather not have a lot of calls with questions that absolutely can not be answered at this time. I remember working for a major hotel chain during and after Andrew. Everyone wanted answers, we were just trying to help those who were in need of a place to stay. I do know, as others have said, NCL will do all they can to visit the ports scheduled or find another port if possible.

Good luck and have a great wedding. Things will work out.

Thanks. I wouldn't have called. I know they are dealing with people whose trips are cancelled. I don't care where we go, it'll all be new to us!

Best of luck to you on your cruise and congratulations. You might want to think about going to Hawaii ;) I have a strong suspicion many Eastern Caribbean cruises will turn into Westerns. My wife and I have a 14 day Eastern on the BA in February, hopefully will make most of the ports

Edited by Laszlo

Best of luck to you on your cruise and congratulations. You might want to think about going to Hawaii ;) I have a strong suspicion many Eastern Caribbean cruises will turn into Westerns. My wife and I have a 14 day Eastern on the BA in February, hopefully will make most of the ports

If it's the 14 day BA cruise I am thinking of NCL can judge if the ports are ready and do a few changes if they are not.

Since it is a 14 night cruise and has 8 ports of call they could always eliminate one or two and head to ports to the South that were not affected as badly if at all and would make excellent alternatives to the usual Eastern ports...It would mean a few extra sea days but it would still be a welcomed cruise to the Caribbean in the tail end of the Winter months ..

I hope the Islands most affected by Irma can shake it off as quickly as possible and put their lives back together after what appears to have been a catastrophic disaster.

We were on one of the first cruises to Labadee after the Haitian earthquake and remember the truck loads of bottled water, food and supplies that were off loaded from the ship. Lets hope the cruise lines can not only help with tourist dollars but needed aid as well as soon as possible.

bosco

I am watching a live report right now from Puerto Rico. It appears to have dodged the worst of Irma. High winds and seas but in the Condado area and Old San Juan areas the damage appears to be minimal and according to the reporter things will be back to normal quickly.

As for St. Maarten and St Thomas they look like they have been run over by a giant lawn mower. Only time will tell when they can begin the healing process..

Thoughts and prayers to those affected.

bosco

We're cruising October 1st out of NYC on NCL Breakaway to the Bahamas. I'm not sure what is going to happen. We're thinking if the ports are damaged it will turn into either a Western Caribbean, Canada cruise or cancel altogether since Jose hasn't even hit yet.

***Our hopes and best wishes to anyone in the path of this terrible storm!***

Glad we are booked to Southern Caribbean out of San Juan in March 2019. Hopefully most will be rebuilt in time and everything will semi get back to normal.

We are on the first Southern cruise (Barbados, Martinique, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, St. Thomas) out of Puerto Rico in two months. If we do end up stopping at some of these places, I plan on spending money. I can't conceive, however, how St. Maarten will be ready for us by then. I haven't seen anything regarding St. Thomas, but from what little I've read, that may be a no-go as well.

In February, we are on the Escape on the Eastern itinerary. I saw that the bars on Jost Van Dyke are pretty much all gone. Such a mess for everyone down there.

We're cruising October 1st out of NYC on NCL Breakaway to the Bahamas. I'm not sure what is going to happen. We're thinking if the ports are damaged it will turn into either a Western Caribbean, Canada cruise or cancel altogether since Jose hasn't even hit yet.

***Our hopes and best wishes to anyone in the path of this terrible storm!***

According to the latest predictions it looks like JOSE will track along the same path as IRMA and pass over the same islands but will begin a northern turn before it gets to Puerto Rico and will then head off to the northeast and out to sea. (we hope).

It will not be as powerful a storm as IRMA but any storm on top of the devastation dealt them already will be a major problem..

bosco

If it's the 14 day BA cruise I am thinking of NCL can judge if the ports are ready and do a few changes if they are not.

Since it is a 14 night cruise and has 8 ports of call they could always eliminate one or two and head to ports to the South that were not affected as badly if at all and would make excellent alternatives to the usual Eastern ports...It would mean a few extra sea days but it would still be a welcomed cruise to the Caribbean in the tail end of the Winter months ..

I hope the Islands most affected by Irma can shake it off as quickly as possible and put their lives back together after what appears to have been a catastrophic disaster.

We were on one of the first cruises to Labadee after the Haitian earthquake and remember the truck loads of bottled water, food and supplies that were off loaded from the ship. Lets hope the cruise lines can not only help with tourist dollars but needed aid as well as soon as possible.

bosco

Agreee. The BA is labled as a southern anyway. I cam easily see them missing maarten and thomas and head to aruba/curacao

My heart goes out to all of those put out by Irma. I cannot believe Jose may take the same path!

I'm not sure if an 11 night would go south since there's not a ton of time. I just hope it's still the Caribbean. Would they change it to Canada? And if so, would I be able to then cancel? We have zero interest in a Canadian honeymoon.

My heart goes out to all of those put out by Irma. I cannot believe Jose may take the same path!

I'm not sure if an 11 night would go south since there's not a ton of time. I just hope it's still the Caribbean. Would they change it to Canada? And if so, would I be able to then cancel? We have zero interest in a Canadian honeymoon.

I doubt they would take you North in October.

SanJuan looks like it will be fine, there is always Bermuda, but it does look like you itinerary will be changed.

I know you will have a memorable Honeymoon and cruise NO MATTER where the Gem takes you.

Best wishes...

bosco

Thanks bosco!

We are excited to go wherever we go! I just like to research and plan. I had some excursions in mind and I'm glad I didn't book them (they weren't thru NCL). So I'm hoping we hear before we board so I can plan some stuff.

I doubt they would take you North in October.

SanJuan looks like it will be fine, there is always Bermuda, but it does look like you itinerary will be changed.

I know you will have a memorable Honeymoon and cruise NO MATTER where the Gem takes you.

Best wishes...

bosco