HAL Laundry

Maureenxx

What's your experience with HAL laundry? Do things come back in good shape? Are there items you would advise not to send to laundry? Do you think they wash everything in hot water and if so what is the effect? Shrinkage, fading. Thanks for input to a new laundry user.

We sent laundry out on our Amsterdam Alaska cruise. For delicates, or anything I did not want to shrink, I would mark cold water wash, cool dry. Everything seemed to come back just great.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

For Alaska cruises, I wear men's oxford button down shirts with sweaters and tweed jackets or rain jacket. So. I am ready for anything. Except Gala Night dress.

Confession: Instead for letting the airlines wrinkle my shirts, I brought dirty laundry aboard the Eurodam in August.

I turned them in to the steward as soon as my luggage arrived in the cabin just before the lifeboat drill AND THEY WERE RETURNED BEFORE EARLY—SEATING DINNER! Turnaround time a little over two hours. Light starch; front placket and collars were perfectly smooth, no puckering along the seams.

The one comment is that I don't bring the "first string" shirts (rare stripes, superheavyweight fabric) because commercial laundries can use temperatures which "cook" cotton fibers. I save those for the hand laundry.

And because checked airline luggage may become lost.

I rank Holland America above my favorite commercial laundry / dry cleaner.

Overall, I have had good experience with HAL's laundry. I do bring mostly cottons that have been washed many times. I never have them wash anything new or that has to be washed in delicate. No problem with jeans, polos , tshirts, socks , underwears, handkerchiefs. Being 4 star with free laundry, I take advantage of this service.

Love HAL's laundry service. Shirts and pants come back on hangers (no shrinkage, no stains) and underwear and socks and delicates come back in a wicker basket wrapped in tissue paper.......all in perfect condition. We were laughing today, though, because one of my husband's t-shirts still had the little laundry tag attached after 4 months! Those things are hard to remove, you really have to rip it off or it's there for life...lol! Worth every penny!

I happily send my daytime clothes to the HAL laundry, with no special instructions regarding water or dryer temperature.

My nice clothes for evening, though, I will only wash myself, at home. I don't trust HAL that much. I've never been gone long enough that clothes brought to the ship clean, and worn only in the evenings, needed laundering.

Very pleased with HAL's laundry service with underwear pressed (they don't get that at home) and often socks as well. (The crew do a better job of pairing matching pairs of socks that I sometimes do!) Service is prompt. sometimes same day (without request), but usually less than 24 hours.

Once, only once, I had a pair of cotton/polyester pants that were returned a couple of sizes less than when they were sent. Therefore, I always, repeat always try on the pants/shirt I am going to be wearing prior to leaving the ship if they have been laundered on-board.

I turned them in to the steward as soon as my luggage arrived in the cabin just before the lifeboat drill AND THEY WERE RETURNED BEFORE EARLY—SEATING DINNER! Turnaround time a little over two hours. Light starch; front placket and collars were perfectly smooth, no puckering along the seams.

Very nice to know! I'd planned to do this on Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas, using my free bag of laundry, but was told I had to wait until day 4 and get it back on day 6.

We sent laundry out on our Amsterdam Alaska cruise. For delicates, or anything I did not want to shrink, I would mark cold water wash, cool dry. Everything seemed to come back just great.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Ditto. And dry clenaing works quite qell too

I have not had an issue other than some greyer items on a couple of cruise - but on the Prinsendam everyhthing was perfect. Westerdam did a pretty good job too :)

Rotterdam was right up there with P'da. JMO expereience.

Had good experience on recent Westerdam cruise. Sent a bag on 7 of the 10 days and normally got it back the following afternoon. Shirts were ok except the collars needed better pressing. We got the unlimited package and it was a deal at $90. Just wish I had not packed so much. But it was great every afternoon to take off sweaty clothes and immediately send them to the laundry.

We have been pleased with HAL's laundry service. However, we did have a bad experience once for dry cleaning. A men's sport coat came back with a horrible pressing job, mainly around the collar. Had to send it back twice, but it finally came back looking OK.

Another positive vote for HAL Laundry...I was overjoyed to finally get it for free!:) I will send all whites/hot water one day, then colors the next time, that way there is no time wasted separating colors or chance that a dark item will accidentally fall in with the whites. . I specify no drier for DH's shirts (line dry), and have been pleased with the results. I am always amazed that they come back sooner than expected. On our July cruise items on hangers were returned in a clothing bag with a plastic pocket that held the laundry receipt. Classy!

Karen

Love HAL's laundry service. Shirts and pants come back on hangers (no shrinkage, no stains) and underwear and socks and delicates come back in a wicker basket wrapped in tissue paper.......all in perfect condition. We were laughing today, though, because one of my husband's t-shirts still had the little laundry tag attached after 4 months! Those things are hard to remove, you really have to rip it off or it's there for life...lol! Worth every penny!

Same here!!!! LOL this past weekend one of my husbands shirts still has the tag on the inside too! Even some of my underwater!

I do agree with you. We have had great service also

Denise:)

I have to give a warning here having read all of the glowing reviews. I am a 5 star mariner and have free laundry. I have had something ruined on virtually every cruise. I never send out anything that I don't want damaged. I take older clothes for daytime wear and do send those to the HAL laundry. However, anything good, I will do in the self serve laundry if that is available, or by hand.

Is there an all inclusive plan on the Prisendam?

The Prinsendam has the same plans as all the other ships. That is, you can pay per piece (very expensive), $20 per bag ($30 in Europe), or unlimited at $7/day for every day of the cruise ($9 in Europe).

Does the Eurodam have washers and dryers for guest use?

Sadly, no.

The ships with washers, dryers, and irons are Maasdam, Veendam, the four R-class ships: Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam, Zaandam, and the Prinsendam.

We are 5 star and have been getting the free laundry for quite some time. Over the last 150 day of cruising on various HAL ships they have ruined 2 of my "T shirts" and lost a pair of shorts and one sock. They have just asked what they cost and have given me credit on our account each time - no questions asked. We normally send out laundry every other night. One thing we do is put on the sheet for them to remove the laundry tags - those are sooooo hard to get off some times and they often put them on a seam which often damages the seams when you remove them.