Caribbean ports changed due to storm damage?

kingstonKouple72

Just in:

If you read French (or not-use google translate). St-Martin (French Side) situation is stable but serious. All school destroyed (18 out of 21) and no return in class before at least sometime in November. Water distribution also difficult (20L per week/person). No reliable water distribution for at least 3 months (on the French side)

Make your own conclusion.

http://www.francetvinfo.fr/meteo/cyclone-ouragan/ouragan-irma/centre-de-soins-de-grande-capacite-rentree-scolaire-reportee-les-principales-annonces-d-edouard-philippe-six-jours-apres-le-passage-d-irma_2367811.html

Edited by dandee2
Change number

I predict St Maarten will be accepting cruise ships sooner than anyone would guess now...I'll bet by October (Nov at latest) they will be back to operational.

St Marteen is like a combat zone right now. I hope you are right, but trust me Oct Nov phew, don't think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leaders of St. Martin already reported that no tourist at least until first of the year, if then.

And as someone already posted, there is nothing there for tourist to even see.

Burt

Burt

And they will be the one who have secondary residence, time-share, etc. Sending people this year will overtax the little resource they have.

And they will be the one who have secondary residence, time-share, etc. Sending people this year will overtax the little resource they have.

It's really bad they have evacuated their medical school students to San Juan PR. Tourist on the islands are trying to leave. People are walking around armed looking for basic necessities.

It's really bad they have evacuated their medical school students to San Juan PR. Tourist on the islands are trying to leave. People are walking around armed looking for basic necessities.

According to a resort manager on the French side of St Martin armed men were breaking into his vacant rooms and stealing the flatscreens.

I was supposed to visit St. Maarten for a land vacation Oct 18th. We received a notification that resort would not open until Nov 20th, but this could change. They are also not taking any new reservations until April 2019. I know the port may open before this but just thought I would share.

Just announced.

The US Government is sending the largest flotilla of ships, carrying men, equipment and supplies, in its history to the Caribbean in response to the damage done by Irma.

They will be working to aid and assist Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and other Caribbean Islands that were devastated by Irma.

bosco

Just announced.

The US Government is sending the largest flotilla of ships, carrying men, equipment and supplies, in its history to the Caribbean in response to the damage done by Irma.

They will be working to aid and assist Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and other Caribbean Islands that were devastated by Irma.

bosco

That good news!

If they change the port, it will likely be another good island. Most of the islands in the Caribbean are interesting for at least a day trip. If you are intent on going to a particular island, you may need to wait until your next cruise.

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

First-hand information on excursions we've taken in 26 Caribbean ports. With photos!

My prayers are with these desperate people. Without getting overly dramatic, it seems to have quickly turned to a struggle for survival. St. Maarten got wiped. Watch the videos. There are many to see now. As much as you say you want to go there and support them by spending your money, FORGET IT. There will be many itinerary changes throughout the industry to accommodate this catastrophe. A totally destroyed major airport, very limited fresh water, and worst of all, disease spread by sewerage, and whatever, mixed together. And you wanna go there ?? I love it there too. But honestly, it's not gonna be safe for several reasons, for a very long time. Everything to rebuild will have to be brought in by ship for now. Shelter and fresh water are first. Tourists are last. The only cruise ship going there will be bringing relief supplies. You can bet that there will be armed guards surrounding the delivery of any and all aid supplies. Tourists are gonna be targets of fighting for survival locals, for a long time there. Attacks have started already. Desperate times, lead to desperate measures. There are many, many good people there. Again I pray for their recovery.

I would say that St. Maartin will probably will be done for at least til January. We are on Celebrity in early December and the island is pretty much a mess. What would we due once off the ship. Have not heard anything about Orient beach but it must be pretty much gone ! Would rather do a different port like Aruba or St. Kitts ! The people down there are in our thoughts !

I would say that St. Maartin will probably will be done for at least til January. We are on Celebrity in early December and the island is pretty much a mess. What would we due once off the ship. Have not heard anything about Orient beach but it must be pretty much gone ! Would rather do a different port like Aruba or St. Kitts ! The people down there are in our thoughts !

January?

bosco

January?

bosco

Cruise ships returned to Grand Cayman after eight weeks following Hurricane Ivan and to Cozumel only three weeks after Hurricane Wilma and those islands had similar devastation. It will obviously take much longer for businesses to rebuild but that won't stop the ships from coming there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruise ships returned to Grand Cayman after eight weeks following Hurricane Ivan and to Cozumel only three weeks after Hurricane Wilma and those islands had similar devastation. It will obviously take much longer for businesses to rebuild but that won't stop the ships from coming there.

I'm scheduled for an overnight in St. Maarten at the end of January. I don't want to stop there. Reliable news outlets are reporting violence in the streets and people doing whatever they can to find clean water and crumbs of food. There is no way the infrastructure needed to support 4000 passengers on a cruise ship will be there in January. This was a Cat 5 hit. Wilma was a Cat 3 and had a glancing blow on the Yucatan. I'm pretty sure it's going to take more than 3 weeks to get things up and running again. And, think of the bad press the cruise lines would get if the ports in question were not in top shape to accept tourists. In a competitive industry like the cruise industry, bad press travels like fire in a gasoline refinery, and no company would risk bad press....

My prayers are with these desperate people. Without getting overly dramatic, it seems to have quickly turned to a struggle for survival.

You can bet that there will be armed guards surrounding the delivery of any and all aid supplies. Tourists are gonna be targets of fighting for survival locals, for a long time there. Attacks have started already. Desperate times, lead to desperate measures.

Which island are you talking about?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I hope you are right..

bosco

I'm scheduled for an overnight in St. Maarten at the end of January. I don't want to stop there. Reliable news outlets are reporting violence in the streets and people doing whatever they can to find clean water and crumbs of food. There is no way the infrastructure needed to support 4000 passengers on a cruise ship will be there in January. This was a Cat 5 hit. Wilma was a Cat 3 and had a glancing blow on the Yucatan. I'm pretty sure it's going to take more than 3 weeks to get things up and running again. And, think of the bad press the cruise lines would get if the ports in question were not in top shape to accept tourists. In a competitive industry like the cruise industry, bad press travels like fire in a gasoline refinery, and no company would risk bad press....

Wilma was a Category 5 but had weakened slightly to a 4 when it hit Cozumel directly with 150 mph winds. It moved slowly which is why the island suffered so much damage. In fact the cruise piers were destroyed. They had to tender passengers in when the ships started to return as the piers weren't rebuilt yet.

https://thisiscozumel.com/news/70-latest-news/1608-cozumel-hurricane-wilma-anniversary

My point was, other islands have suffered massive storm devastation but rebounded for cruise business relatively quickly. Remember that these islands entire economies depend on tourism so they will make sure cruise ships are able to return as quickly as possible regardless of whether the island is fully rebuilt. I would estimate that cruise ships will start to return by November when all the ships positioned elsewhere in the world come back to the Caribbean.

You're very optimistic. St-Martin resident will get help from France to rebuilt and will not line the street with beer bucket and t-shirt or Tanzanite ring to make ends meet. Living condition were quite different on St-Martin (Sint Maarten) than on Cozumel/Riviera Maya.

Many business owner already left never to return, many without hurricane insurance in the first place. Hotel will have to assess damages before deciding on rebuilding or tearing down the building and selling the property. Insurance issue will certainly arise. This is just the begining. 21% of the active population on St-Martin (French side) is unemployed and 10% on social assistance. Note as nice as the glossy travel brochure. Good luck.

http://www.msn.com/fr-ca/video/actualite/irma-survol-en-drone-de-saint-martin-d%C3%A9vast%C3%A9e/vi-AArOcrd