Caribbean ports changed due to storm damage?

kingstonKouple72

The OP's question is not out of line or the post that is being targeted. It's some of the replies about actually going to these islands in 3 months time and expecting them to be up and running so passengers can stimulate their economy that are being targeted. Then there are those who are not happy with Jamaica which I can't blame them for. However, if you book a Caribbean cruise during the height of hurricane season you had better be prepared for a change in itinerary. I am sure that any new port of call added as a replacement will be happy to receive the unexpected additional spending to help their economy.

Maybe I'm missing something but January isn't even hurricane season let alone the height of it as far as I know...and just for the record,I didn't target the post, I merely replied to it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Maybe I'm missing something but January isn't even hurricane season let alone the height of it as far as I know...and just for the record,I didn't target the post, I merely replied to it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I was referring to booking a cruise for Sept, Oct, Nov. as a general reference. Allow me to add if you book Canada/ New England during this time frame you may also be looking at an itinerary change. I have a cruise booked on Princess for Nov 2018. It calls on Aruba, St Maarten and Antigua. With another hurricane season to hit before my sailing I'm prepared to either cancel before final payment or an itinerary change. I have a good friend who lives on Antigua and she has family on St Maarten. She arranged to have her granddaughter flown by helicopter to her home on Antigua. Her daughter was on a business trip and missed the hurricane however her son in law has a business and home on St Maarten so he stayed on the island. The chain retailers and hotels will come back sooner because they are insured. However the mom and pop establishments that actually make the trip unique may never come back.

I realized that you didn't target the post. I was just trying to explain that the OP isn't the one who is being targeted. It's a reasonable question given the circumstances.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Here is an update on the US Virgin Islands

http://www.usviupdate.com/

From USA Today

Cruise lines haven't talked much in the past few days about how long they might have to divert ships from the affected islands. For now, they're focused on relief efforts. But in a research note sent to investors on Monday, Instinet analyst Harry Curtis estimated it could take "several quarters or more" to repair infrastructure on St. Martin and St. Thomas, suggesting it could be an extended period before ships return.

Edited by gentlemancruiser

Here is an update on the US Virgin Islands

http://www.usviupdate.com/

From USA Today

Cruise lines haven't talked much in the past few days about how long they might have to divert ships from the affected islands. For now, they're focused on relief efforts. But in a research note sent to investors on Monday, Instinet analyst Harry Curtis estimated it could take "several quarters or more" to repair infrastructure on St. Martin and St. Thomas, suggesting it could be an extended period before ships return.

I'm not surprised. This was a horrific storm.

The OP's question is not out of line or the post that is being targeted. It's some of the replies about actually going to these islands in 3 months time and expecting them to be up and running so passengers can stimulate their economy that are being targeted.

And targeted unnecessarily when there is factual evidence to support the idea that cruise lines may return within a month or two based on other islands like Cozumel and Grand Cayman that were also massively devastated by hurricanes in recent times. Every situation is different and NO ONE knows what will happen with these islands. But people need to stop with the scolding and dismissing of people whose posts do not agree with their own opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here are the just released (9/15) port changes for sister company RCCL. Seems like a fair assumption that X would make similar arrangements.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Adventure of the Seas:

9/16, 10/7 – St. Maarten to St. Croix

9/23 – St. Thomas to Bonaire

9/30 – St. Maarten to St. Kitts

10/14 – St. Thomas to St. Croix

Allure of the Seas:

9/17 – St. Maarten to St. Kitts

10/1 – St. Thomas to Labadee

10/15 – St. Maarten to Labadee

Enchantment of the Seas:

9/18, 9/25, 10/2, 10/9 – Key West to Freeport

Harmony of the Seas:

9/23 – St. Thomas to St. Kitts

10/7 – St. Maarten to St. Kitts

Oasis of the Seas:

9/24 – St. Maarten to St. Kitts

10/8 – St. Maarten to Nassau

Royal Caribbean's FB page. I also follow Celebrity there, no information yet about X itinerary changes. I'm sure info will come.

I have both St. T. and St. M. on an itinerary in December, doubt we will go to either.

Celebrity has already altered two Equinox itineraries:

9/15 - Key West replaced with Falmouth

9/25 - St. Thomas, Tortola and St. Maarten replaced with San Juan, St. Croix and Martinique

The 10/6 sailing only has a Key West issue so the assumption is it will be replaced with Falmouth but no announcement made yet. Sounds like Key West port will not open again until Oct 20th at the earliest.

The OP's question is not out of line or the post that is being targeted. It's some of the replies about actually going to these islands in 3 months time and expecting them to be up and running so passengers can stimulate their economy that are being targeted. Then there are those who are not happy with Jamaica which I can't blame them for. However, if you book a Caribbean cruise during the height of hurricane season you had better be prepared for a change in itinerary. I am sure that any new port of call added as a replacement will be happy to receive the unexpected additional spending to help their economy.

Chances are that some of these islands will still be closed to cruise ships in December and January, after hurricane season has ended.

You might as well say "if you book a Caribbean cruise at any time of year you had better be prepared for a change in itinerary."

Chances are that some of these islands will still be closed to cruise ships in December and January, after hurricane season has ended.

You might as well say "if you book a Caribbean cruise at any time of year you had better be prepared for a change in itinerary."

Yes but at least you have time to cancel for Dec or Jan if it's before final payment.

Irma leveled some of the ports for my next cruise. Maria is headed for more of the ports on my cruise. The hurricanes are ruining my cruise. Not sure what are the limits on how many ships can visit a port. Wondering when and if Celebrity will change ports. Do I reevaluate whether or not to cruise the Caribbean this year?

Irma leveled some of the ports for my next cruise. Maria is headed for more of the ports on my cruise. The hurricanes are ruining my cruise. Not sure what are the limits on how many ships can visit a port. Wondering when and if Celebrity will change ports. Do I reevaluate whether or not to cruise the Caribbean this year?

Depends on your cruise date and itinerary and of course Mother Nature.

With even more damage on the way from Maria, to islands that were up until today viable ports of call there is no way of knowing what changes will have to be made.

When the time for final payment approaches that would be the time to make the ultimate decision, because things will be changing for sure.

bosco

Cat 5 direct hit on Dominica. Roseau, where the cruise ships dock, passed directly under the south-south west edge of the eye, which remained almost perfect despite the mountains. The eye passed directly over the island.

I can't imagine the devastation. :(

rgb-animated.gif

rb-animated.gif

Edited by A Sixth?

We were on Dominica a few months after Andrew and there were still impassible roads. I can only imagine what Maria is doing to this beautiful island. I hope, and pray, that lives are spared and the tremendous ecological advancements that these gracious people have made are not deterred. With luck we will still set food in Roseau in December.

The people of Dominica are so lovely. Can't imagine how they are coping as many have so little. Our media reported that the President had to be rescued after the roof of his home blew off and his house flooded.

This is a truly horrendous hurricane season