From Ncl getting tourist off will help with resources for residents . I hope other l

murfette

Hurricane Irma

Update #5

September 9, 2017 12:30 PM

Norwegian Cruise Line is continuing to closely watch the forecasted path of major Hurricane Irma and respond as necessary to ensure the safety of our guests and crew. We have cancelled this week’s scheduled sailings aboard our two ships that depart from Miami, Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Escape and both ships are currently navigating a safe course around the path of Hurricane Irma. Norwegian Escape is sailing at full capacity with approximately 4,000 displaced guests from both ships that were unable to secure flights back home. The ship is currently alongside in Cozumel, Mexico and will remain there until 7 a.m. Sunday, September 10. Guests who have secured flights home may disembark the ship in Mexico if they wish. Due to the devastation in the Caribbean caused by Hurricane Irma, all of Norwegian Escape’s upcoming Eastern Caribbean sailings will be altered to a Western Caribbean itinerary until November. All guests scheduled to sail on any affected cruises will be notified of the change.

Acting as a responsible corporate citizen and supporting the destinations that our ships operate in is a core value of Norwegian Cruise Line. In the wake of this devastating storm, we will be deploying Norwegian Sky from her current position off the coast of Cancun to St. Thomas, USVI to retrieve approximately 2,000 travelers who were unable to evacuate the island prior to the storm. The ship is departing immediately and will arrive in St. Thomas in the late evening hours on Monday, September 11. Norwegian Cruise Line is working closely with the Florida-Caribbean Cruise Association and the Governor of St. Thomas to execute this rescue mission. When all designated vacation guests have boarded the ship, Norwegian Sky will sail back to her homeport of Miami and is expected to arrive on Thursday, September 14.

Considering the airport damage on St. Thomas this is great news and an excellent use of available resources. Hopefully other cruise lines follow suit and help with delivering supplies or making large donations for recovery on the hardest hit islands.

I wondered which cruise line would be the first to turn resources to rescue/relief efforts. Bravo NCL, they have been a leader w/Irma. Might have learned from the star debacle last year ;). Regardless, warms me to see the cruise industry being used to assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother and his wife will be two of those estimated 2000 stranded passengers who will be boarding the NCL Sky in St. Thomas on Monday night. Our whole family is so grateful for this generous act - good on you, NCL! I think you've now got a whole Pennsylvania contingent of first time NCL cruisers in your future. Thank you, thank you.

Edited by Assateague Island Princes
spelling

I have a questions about going to (hopefully) Cuba on thew 17th - I would like to bring necessities, ie soap, toothpaste etc for people who may have been affected by hurricane. Will customs let me bring in such items?

I would suggest that your cruise is most likely to be canceled, or rerouted. Cuba, near Havana has been dealing with a Cat5 storm all day.

Yes, but Havana is not in direct path. I understand they don't have the same resources as us but thinking Havana will be Ok.

The direct path is over 200 miles wide. I hope you are right but I would not count on it.

Online news edition of Miami Herald:

NCL is sending the Sky and Royal Caribbean is sending 4 of its ships on rescue mission to those islands, especially USVI - along with relief supplies, to help evacuate stranded tourists (many are said to the U.S. citizens but probably nationals from other countries as well)

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article172281352.html

Two thumbs up for being a caring corporate citizens :halo:

This is a huge deal! Probably the equivalent of 10-15 jetliners of people.

Curious though, I'm guessing NCL would need or has received an emergency waiver for the PVSA.

Actually, transportation between the USVI and the mainland of the US is exempt from the PVSA, as is Puerto Rico, Samoa and Guam.