CPAP. Carry on or pack in checked bags?

Mak7464

I have done both, depending on whether I have room in the bag or not! In my cpap bag, I have an extension cord and small surge protector. I have never had an issue taking it onboard, regardless of whether I carry on or pack the machine. Also, I know everyone's water is different but I stopped (mostly due to laziness and convenience) using distilled water many years ago. Both at home and traveling. Never a problem with my machine. Even if you're not comfortable "living on the edge", the water on the ship will not affect the machine after a week or so. If you want to use DW, great. But, I wouldn't stress if you don't have it.

Never check it!! There is no need to because a CPAP is considered to be a medical device, therefore, is not counted as a piece of carry-on luggage per FAA Rules. Make sure that it is packed in its original travel case, which is easily regonized by TSA and airline personnel, which reduces the chance that it is grabbed by a flight attendant and moved to being a "gate check". I also have a medical ID tag attached to my CPAP case.

Why is this a question? Carry on. It would never occur to me to put in checked baggage.

Could be because he is not the user of said machine and his FATHER who is NEW to cruising doesn't know??? Never make someone feel stupid for a legitimate question, isn't that what CC is about? ASKING???? :rolleyes::o:eek:

Do not use a surge protector on a ship! (1) it is unnecessary, ship's electricity is different than land-based, and (2) it can start a fire (see: ship's electricity is different than land-based). The fire can be anywhere 'upstream' of your outlet, so saying "I'll only use when in room" is no protection for you or the thousand plus people endangered.

Just because it wasn't caught in your bag does NOT mean there is no issue, just means screening missed it.

Always carry on IMO. Never put in checked luggage for fear of loss or damage.

Always notify cruise line ahead of time. Royal Caribbean has a form you need to complete.

Recently had problems taking my own extension lead so request one when you notify cruise line.

takin my dad on a cruise next week...

What do other CPAP users do with theirs?

I know ill have to carry it off because he needs it the last night.

I haven't read your replies yet, but be aware Airlines are not allowed to count a medical device as a carry on, so you can carry it on and still have a carry on with you.