Royal Caribbean and NCL helping in Hurricane aid

buggins0402

I saw photos and read stories about Americans, Canadians, Europeans and others standing in huge crowds on the tarmac at the St. Maarten airport waiting to be taken off the island before Jose comes. That island is at or close to anarchy.

SXM is being managed by the Dutch military, and is open only for humanitarian/rescue efforts.

Do you have a source for your "anarchy" claim besides reports of looting?

I saw photos and read stories about Americans, Canadians, Europeans and others standing in huge crowds on the tarmac at the St. Maarten airport waiting to be taken off the island before Jose comes. That island is at or close to anarchy. I hope that all are off the island by now.

I hope everyone remembers the two cruise lines that are helping out: RCCL and NCL. Carnival hasn't made up its mind and we haven't heard from the others. They need to step it up. Here was a quote:

"Carnival Cruise Line, the other major cruise line in the world, based in Doral, has not yet announced plans to participate in the relief effort:

Spokeswoman Jennifer De La Cruz said the line is reaching out to find out how best to help, and “active conversations and planning” are underway."

The people in St. Maarten were likely tourists on land based vacations. This turn of events shows that cruising is likely much safer when these natural disasters occur.

The decision to use cruise ships to aid the islands is not something that NCL and RCI have made on their own. Their assets (ships) have been accepted by the governments involved. Just because no Carnival asset has been accepted does not mean that Carnival has not made the offer (either before or at the same time as the other lines), it just means that the NCL and RCI assets were considered to be the best choices for availability (no passengers onboard), disposition (distance to the point of aid), and suitability (can they dock at potentially damaged ports). It is way too early to assess shame on Carnival or any cruise line that does not currently have any assets involved in relief measures. Unless, that is, that you have insider information from Carnival, or the US, Bahamian, Turks & Caicos, Dutch and French governments that shows that Carnival has not offered assets at least as soon as the other lines.

I saw photos and read stories about Americans, Canadians, Europeans and others standing in huge crowds on the tarmac at the St. Maarten airport waiting to be taken off the island before Jose comes. That island is at or close to anarchy. I hope that all are off the island by now.

I hope everyone remembers the two cruise lines that are helping out: RCCL and NCL. Carnival hasn't made up its mind and we haven't heard from the others. They need to step it up. Here was a quote:

"Carnival Cruise Line, the other major cruise line in the world, based in Doral, has not yet announced plans to participate in the relief effort:

Spokeswoman Jennifer De La Cruz said the line is reaching out to find out how best to help, and “active conversations and planning” are underway."

The people in St. Maarten were likely tourists on land based vacations. This turn of events shows that cruising is likely much safer when these natural disasters occur.

Carnival is just being prudent and erred on the conservative side. To pull an operation off like this successfully, there are a lot of planning, coordination and manpower involved as well as legal and insurance liabilities to cover. Cruise lines are not the military and don't have the logistical support required or experience to rush in and do this.

You and I can also error on the prudent side and keep our money tightly tucked away in the bank after we have a few weeks to access the damage. Nothing wrong with a positive shout out to those who donate money, ships, supplies, assistance, etc. when they see a valid need and do so QUICKLY.

I've already donated a few times in the past two weeks to a solid charitable organization that was on the ground immediately in Houston and also has already delivered a plane load of emergency supplies to St. Maarten.

There is nothing that legally compels these cruise lines from helping. They are only required to come to another ship's aid when they are in distress as long as it does not put them in significant jeopardy (summary of maritime law).

And from what others on the Carnival board have posted, from JH, Carnival's only two empty ships are positioned well to the north and east of the storm, and could not reach the Caribbean in a timely fashion. They do have a ship scheduled to load relief supplies from San Juan when the ship returns there to discharge passengers. So, again, Carnival has already "stepped up", and their assets are being deployed in the most efficient ways.

Appears this has gone right over most people's heads. :o

It's CC. If they thought that, they would've said it.

It zoomed over my head! I thought pseudoware was a pessimist, not a punster. Oh well.:o

And I spelled his/her name wrong. That's it, I'm drinking way more coffee in the mornings from now on, and none of the decaf crap my GP wants me to drink!

The decision to use cruise ships to aid the islands is not something that NCL and RCI have made on their own. Their assets (ships) have been accepted by the governments involved. Just because no Carnival asset has been accepted does not mean that Carnival has not made the offer (either before or at the same time as the other lines), it just means that the NCL and RCI assets were considered to be the best choices for availability (no passengers onboard), disposition (distance to the point of aid), and suitability (can they dock at potentially damaged ports). It is way too early to assess shame on Carnival or any cruise line that does not currently have any assets involved in relief measures. Unless, that is, that you have insider information from Carnival, or the US, Bahamian, Turks & Caicos, Dutch and French governments that shows that Carnival has not offered assets at least as soon as the other lines.

Have you ever actually been involved with disaster recovery operations?

They will accept aid from anyone that can get it there. If you could load up your personal boat and get there, they will accept the aid.

From another thread:

Carnival has 2 ships getting ready to deliver supplies to St Kitts & another island. They are also gathering info on what supplies are still needed. They have pledged $2 million in funds.

Post 35: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2542302&page=2

They will accept aid from anyone that can get it there. If you could load up your personal boat and get there, they will accept the aid.

Actually, I have. Remember Typhoon Yunya and Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines? Involved there for 3 months while the volcano was still spouting steam and ash.

From what were reported so far, the harbor and dock facilities are mostly destroyed. Roads and streets are full of debris, flooded and situation unsafe. Without prior coordination with the authority in charge, what is a big cruise ship going to do when it gets there?

Are you speaking officially for the governments of these islands, or just off the top of your head?

And yes, I have responded to some pretty large disasters in my career. Unorganized response doesn't help chaos.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Actually, I have. Remember Typhoon Yunya and Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines? Involved there for 3 months while the volcano was still spouting steam and ash.

Then you should know better. Aid is accepted from anyone who can get it there. No pre-approval needed.

From what were reported so far, the harbor and dock facilities are mostly destroyed. Roads and streets are full of debris, flooded and situation unsafe. Without prior coordination with the authority in charge, what is a big cruise ship going to do when it gets there?

Off load onto the beach if needed. People will walk to where the supplies are to get some.

Some supplies (fuel) can be floated to the shore.

A LOT of things.

And MOSTLY destroyed is not destroyed.

But if you think it is better to NOT take supplies there is better than getting them there, where you might be able to, at worst trickle them in, is the best way to handle it, I hope you are never in a disaster area wondering if anything will EVER show up.

Oh, and think of the moral. You are in a hard hit area, have little or nothing, and here comes a BIG WHITE SHIP, carrying supplies. It may take some work to get them to you, but they are HERE, in the harbor. Yeah, that too can help.

Are you speaking officially for the governments of these islands, or just off the top of your head?

And yes, I have responded to some pretty large disasters in my career. Unorganized response doesn't help chaos.

Yes, I have worked a number of disasters. Several multistate major disasters from ice storms to hurricanes.

And aid is accepted. Disaster groups can coordinate the supplies when they arrive. And some needs are universal: food, clean water, ice, baby supplies, clothing. Once you get past the basic needs, yes, better to ask and be told what to bring. But first days, pretty obvious.

Off load onto the beach if needed. People will walk to where the supplies are to get some.

Some supplies (fuel) can be floated to the shore.

A LOT of things.

And MOSTLY destroyed is not destroyed.

But if you think it is better to NOT take supplies there is better than getting them there, where you might be able to, at worst trickle them in, is the best way to handle it, I hope you are never in a disaster area wondering if anything will EVER show up.

Oh, and think of the moral. You are in a hard hit area, have little or nothing, and here comes a BIG WHITE SHIP, carrying supplies. It may take some work to get them to you, but they are HERE, in the harbor. Yeah, that too can help.

Yeah, free for all. Total mob scene. Just like Mogadishu and Saigon 1975. There are looting and gunfire going on in the city. Local gangs are going around robbing tourists. Law and order have seized to exist. Who do you think is going to end up with all the precious supplies coming ashore? Worst yet, wait until some armed gangs hijack a cruise ship tender and its crews on the beach. And you now have a whole new serious situation in your hand you are not equipped to handle. Better off to stay out of the way and let the military handle the rescue mission.