Wasn't Irma Enough?

cherrypop

Irma passes and now we have tropical storm Maria and they figure she will hit Puerto Rico as a category 3 hurricane. Like we know from Irma things change, let's hope. Some of the same islands that were hit by Irma might be hit by Maria.

It's that time of the year.

This feels like the worst hurricane year since 2005 (Katrina et al), but I'm not sure if that's factually correct.

That is correct.

On a happy note, my Brother finally got power back today in Orlando, one day ahead of schedule. A week without power...thankfully he has a whole home generator the size of a small car :D

We are now in the middle of September but we still have to get through October. Hurricane season ends on November 30 but has been seldom active that month. October on the other hand has seen some really nasty hurricanes so the worst may not be over for another four weeks or so. Let us hope the worst is over. Hopefully Maria will stay in the Atlantic away from the islands and mainlands.

Made it thru Irma without damage, and now I'm just hoping we don't get hit with another significant storm so we will be able to fly out of FL in a few days, and then out of ATL, and from there, head across the Atlantic so we can board our cruise out of Dover next week!

We are now in the middle of September but we still have to get through October. Hurricane season ends on November 30 but has been seldom active that month. October on the other hand has seen some really nasty hurricanes so the worst may not be over for another four weeks or so. Let us hope the worst is over. Hopefully Maria will stay in the Atlantic away from the islands and mainlands.

My first Princess cruise in November 1999 - over Thanksgiving - had Hurricane Lenny (Cat 4) affected by it. Not sure how much damage it did but we felt it! We did switch ports.

There HAVE been storms as strong or stronger in the past. I love how people with no knowledge on the subject feel they know it all(Al Gore): Let's try 1926 Miami Hurricane/1928 Okeechobee hurricane/1935 Florida keys hurricane/The 1938 hurricane/The 1944 hurricane/Hurricane Carol & Edna 1954/The 1893 hurricanes. It's happened before, it will happen again. It is NOT, I repeat, NOT global warming. As to the "Official Records" in history, like how far back do they really go.....

Edited by keithm
additions

2005 was worse with both Katrina and Wilma. It's been about 12 years since there's been an active hurricane season in the Caribbean.

Maria is supposed to turn north to northeast after crossing the Dominican Republic.

75af9e50f0cf0a36e147083a4661ef81.jpg

Don't necessarily expect Maria to curve out so fast. The strong Bermuda high is holding fast. I'd be more concerned about the southeast coast if I were them.

There HAVE been storms as strong or stronger in the past. I love how people with no knowledge on the subject feel they know it all(Al Gore): Let's try 1926 Miami Hurricane/1928 Okeechobee hurricane/1935 Florida keys hurricane/The 1938 hurricane/The 1944 hurricane/Hurricane Carol & Edna 1954/The 1893 hurricanes. It's happened before, it will happen again. It is NOT, I repeat, NOT global warming. As to the "Official Records" in history, like how far back do they really go.....

A little more recent but we also had Camille in 1969 and Betsy in 1965. I also don't believe in the Al Gore mess. It's a natural cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Slightly off topic. I have no higher education but like to refer to myself as self-educated. Every time something happens (hurricanes, floods, fires, a recent murder on a cruise ship, etc.) I try to take a little time to learn about the particular disaster. How it happened. Where it happened. A bit of arm-chair quarterbacking, I guess, but I learn so much about weather, history and geography this way. And a lot about human nature.

Often one the first places I come is Cruise Critic. There are so many knowledgeable people here. The information gleaned never ceases to amaze me. And after reading the posts here I feel better equipped to then scour the internet for more info. Maybe to verify things stated or to expound on what was said.

My sisters and I are leaving a week from today on a New England cruise out of New York and were wondering how the weather would affect us. So of course I came here to look for a little info and have not been disappointed.

Anyway, just wanted to say thank you for everyone for your knowledge and willingness to share.

My first Princess cruise in November 1999 - over Thanksgiving - had Hurricane Lenny (Cat 4) affected by it. Not sure how much damage it did but we felt it! We did switch ports.

Our very first cruise was also in mid-late November 1999, at the tail end of hurricane season. It was a 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the new Grand Princess. A hurricane (Lenny?) had hit St Maarten and St Thomas, so our cruise, dubbed the Magical Mystery Tour", became a western Caribbean cruise. We were so awed by our first cruise; it made no difference to us where we went. It was the start of our love of cruising!

Exactly. There will always be folks that will pull out information that is convenient to support their narrative and hope that others won't take the time to look at the real facts such as were cited above. I know living here in Florida, the hurricanes we faced over the last two years although significant were not as bad as others long ago, were still

Living here in Florida, we know that cruise travel during the months of August thru October is a crapshoot. We are doing a B2B TA from Southampton to Port Everglades and then the following October 7th voyage around the Caribbean. You would think we would know better, but the original itinerary was interesting and the price was right. The itinerary has changed from the impact of Irma and now we might see more adjustments as result of Maria's visit. Doesn't matter, we are going anyway. I've changed the voyage name from Circle Caribbean Tour as described in the brochure to the Caribbean Mystery Itinerary Tour. Wherever we get to in the eastern Caribbean we will be met with open arms for sure.

I googled "Hurricane Irma records", linked the first article that came up, and the climate-change deniers came screaming out ... when I hadn't actually said anything about climate change.

Interesting psychology at work there. Changing of the status quo is frightening for some.

I googled "Hurricane Irma records", linked the first article that came up, and the climate-change deniers came screaming out ... when I hadn't actually said anything about climate change.

Interesting psychology at work there. Changing of the status quo is frightening for some.

You may not have said anything, but the article is a thinly veiled attempt to say Irma is a result of climate change, when it is not. Records go back to roughly 1870(official)unofficial go back to colonial & before. You hear about the "shrinking" ice caps. How long have satellites been observing? Since about 1960. Hardly a true barometer. Hurricanes go through cycles. If you notice the uptick in Atlantic basin hurricanes, you should note the reduction in overall Pacific storms. The hurricanes of 1926/28/38/1944 were cat 4-5 storms. We had to rely on ships at sea for readings. Any of those storms could & were quite likely as strong or stronger than Irma. Irma was strong for the following reasons: Very warm water/low wind shear/high pressure above the storm(bet you didn't know that one!)that allows for good outflow of the storm. Irma simply had the "best" of everything & grew into the monster it became. If it had not "dragged" along Cuba, which allowed dry air to penetrate, the storm likely would have gotten back to cat-5 status, as the warmest water it encountered in it's life was near the Keys. I was an Earth Science major & Meteorology minor in college, So I "might" have a bit of knowledge in this area. Al Gore? I suggest you do a little research on "Joe Bastardi". The guy forecast Sandy over a week in advance & was within 50 miles of it's complete track. Pretty good in my mind.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.