Breakfast attire in dining room

DoggyDaddy

My God, will people PLEASE stop with the "dumbing down" comments...

Just because people do not want to play "Downton Abbey" 24/7 on a cruise anymore does not mean they are now playing "People of Walmart." "Dress up" for breakfast and lunch?? Seriously??? If people are clothed within the HAL guidelines, it's no one's damn business to be the HAL clothing police. If someone is not happy with the more casual atmosphere now dictated by HAL's own guidelines, there is always another cruise line to try. There is room between the two without resorting to immediately calling something dumbing down.

I agree... Very well said. In trying to cast aspersions on others' preferences, all that is accomplished is projecting an offensive air of elitism and myopic disregard for anything other than what one personally values.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I'm one of those who still dresses for dinner and enjoys wearing my tux on Gala Nights. That being said, if I'm in the Caribbean, or about any other warm locale, I'm going to be in shorts and a polo at breakfast, and probably my swim trunks at the Dive-In or equivalent at lunch. What others do, up to a point, doesn't affect or bother me. Bathrobes at breakfast in the Lido, and ball caps in the MDR at dinner are not acceptable to me, but it doesn't affect us. If I considered all the changes in society that have occurred in my lifetime as "dumbing down", I'd have to have started, and ended, with a very high opinion of myself. To quote another like-minded philosopher, Dennis Miller, "That's just my opinion, and I might be wrong".

bb

Edited by blizzardboy

I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find it. What is the acceptable attire for breakfast (and lunch) in the main Dining Room? Is it acceptable to wear shorts and a Polo or T shirt? I assume that this is OK in the Lido.

DD

I have seen it in the dining room at breakfast.

:eek::eek: I certainly hope that they're 'dress' flipflops! :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I do wear my Birkenstock sandals ;)

This thread is educational.

From what we see, pax on longer cruise often dress up a bit more for breakfast and lunch in the MDR. Of course in the Lido anything goes.

That has been my experience as well :)

Not to say there aren't shorts, but nice shirts, etc.

No biggie for us. We wear what we want and let others wear what they choose ;)

Edited by kazu

Just because people do not want to play "Downton Abbey" 24/7 on a cruise anymore does not mean they are now playing "People of Walmart." "Dress up" for breakfast and lunch?? Seriously??? If people are clothed within the HAL guidelines, it's no one's damn business to be the HAL clothing police. If someone is not happy with the more casual atmosphere now dictated by HAL's own guidelines, there is always another cruise line to try. There is room between the two without resorting to immediately calling something dumbing down.

My God, will people PLEASE stop with the "there is always another cruise line" comments ...

Whether it is gala nights, smoking, entertainment, food, (... add your own if you wish ...), telling people to go elsewhere will not resolve the issue.

Perhaps you would share your personal experiences, what you have witnessed first-hand, regarding clothing on the HAL ships. Or will your personal experience on a HAL ship be sometime in the future?

Those definitely do not qualify as dress footwear. ;):o

For breakfast and lunch? OK, I give up ;)

I am slovenly and badly dressed if I have inappropriate foot wear. You haven't been on my cruises to see that they match my skirts though ;). LOL.

I'm just curious here, but will "your God" be giving you a public response to your public statement/question to him/her? :o

If people are clothed within the HAL guidelines, it's no one's damn business to be the HAL clothing police. If someone is not happy with the more casual atmosphere now dictated by HAL's own guidelines, there is always another cruise line to try.

I wasn't aware there were "HAL guidelines" for breakfast attire.

Please elaborate on exactly what they are, or where they can be found on the HAL site.

My God, will people PLEASE stop with the "there is always another cruise line" comments ...

Whether it is gala nights, smoking, entertainment, food, (... add your own if you wish ...), telling people to go elsewhere will not resolve the issue.

There are always other cruise line boards if you don't like this one. ;) I'm telling you this because it will definitely resolve the issue.

Why is it that so many people are appalled by the notion of wearing a bathrobe outside of the cabin? Pretty much anything goes shipboard - which is fine ----- so what is so bad about bathrobes?

Do you wear your bathrobe outside your house:p?

Recently someone posted that their captain said bathrobes were for inside the cabin only.

Why is it that so many people are appalled by the notion of wearing a bathrobe outside of the cabin? Pretty much anything goes shipboard - which is fine ----- so what is so bad about bathrobes?

Wearing a bathrobe anywhere on a cruise ship outside one's cabin is about as uncouth and rednecky as one can possible be.

Your wrong, anything DOES NOT go shipboard.

Q: Did HAL change their dress code?

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads:

• Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.
  • Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

Q: Why the change from “Formal” To “Gala” night?

A: To many, the “Formal” term was misleading as it implies a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) that has never been a requirement. “Gala” still implies festive or dressy without misleading guests to bring attire the majority of guests don’t wear.

Q: What about ladies’ gala attire?

A: Dressy attire is appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and slacks are all acceptable.

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men?

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

Q: Is the dress code the same on Grand Voyages?

A: Yes. The policy applies to all Holland America Line voyages.

So, there you are, the entire HAL dress suggestions.

If people do not like HAL changes, you can either stay with it and "suck it up buttercup" or see if another line still has the old style code you want. Or, order room service. Yes, I did say that again.

And, no lying here, as someone intimated. I saw country club casual and shorts and Tshirts in the MDR for breakfast and lunch. Flip flops were also seen. No one looked like they came off the basketball court.

If those offended by bathrobes - here's partial list of where you might not want to go: St. Regis Bal Harbor, St. Regis Bahia Beach, St. Regis Aspen, St. Regis Deer Valley, Westin Hilton Head, Westin Mission Hills, JW Marriott Phoenix, Four Seasos Scottsdale, Monarch Beach Resort, Ritz Carlton Dana Point, Stein Eriksen Lodge, The Chateaux Deer Valley, Mauna Kea Hotel, Hapuna Beach Hotel, Montage Laguna Beach, Montage Deer Valley, Montage Kapalua, Ritz Carlton Kapalua, Alpenhotel Zechmeisterlehen (Konigsee, Germany)...

I wasn't aware there were "HAL guidelines" for breakfast attire.

Please elaborate on exactly what they are, or where they can be found on the HAL site.

Ruth,

You are correct; there are no guidelines listed. So, telling people what to wear reeks of elitism (Not talking about you Ruth)...

The closest is this about some very casual: " Shorts, flip-flops, swimwear, distressed jeans and men's tank tops are best left to daytime and the poolside." Notice is says "daytime" AND "poolside" - not just "poolside."

We chuckle when we see the comments about bathrobes. It is not uncommon to see them poolside in five and six star resorts. In North America and in Europe.

The basic issue is that there are people who actually believe that what is de riguer in their world or indeed their country must absolutely be the standard throughout the world.

Sorry, but that is not how it is. Maybe across the street, around the block, next state over, but certainly does not have to be so in another country, another type of vacation option.

We chuckle when we see the comments about bathrobes. It is not uncommon to see them poolside in five and six star resorts. In North America and in Europe.

The basic issue is that there are people who actually believe that what is de riguer in their world or indeed their country must absolutely be the standard throughout the world.

Sorry, but that is not how it is. Maybe across the street, around the block, next state over, but certainly does not have to be so in another country, another type of vacation option.

Here in Europe it is acceptable to go from your hotel room to the spa centre, pool or similar wearing a bathrobe.

It would not be acceptable in the dining room or other public rooms of a hotel. The only difference would be at a health farm where you wear bathrobes all the time except at dinner.

Poolside isn't the breakfast line at 8 a.m. in the lido. We travel well, and bath robes in dining venues would raise eyebrows where we stay. I personally wouldn't do it, but I don't think twice about someone in a bathrobe grabbing early morning coffee to take back to their cabin/room in "private" spaces like the Neptune Lounge or in a hotel Club Floor lounge, but not in the main dining venues. Maybe some will think that's a double standard, but it's just one guy's opinion.

Maybe some will think that's a double standard, but it's just one guy's opinion.
"Standards" is the issue, and we guests have an obligation to abide by the standards the cruise ship sets forth. That works both ways: We must comply with those standards ourselves and not allow our own personal standards to affect other guests' enjoyment of their cruise even if our own standards exceed that of the cruise ship. That doesn't mean anyone needs to dress down, but rather only that one's dissatisfaction with the fact that someone else does not wish to exceed the same standards in the same way shouldn't manifest as behaviors or attitude toward that other guest.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Edited by bUU