Why so little Roll Call thread activity for HAL cruises?

MisterBill99

I was fortunate enough to be on the Westerdam Panama canal cruise with Kazu which set a record for roll call posts. Kazu set up a number of fabulous private tours. I also was on a number of great private tours on my Oosterdam TA last November. However, my upcoming 22 night South Pacific tour with really cool ports is completely dead-16 people and 5 pages with less than 2 months to go. I think 3 of us have come up with private tours, which is too bad as the ship ones are not nearly as nice, nearly as long, or nearly as good for the most part.

1. While you could not pay me to join a Roll Call, Cruise Critic is for sharing information. That includes information on Roll Calls.

2. You are entitled to your opinion

3. Other people are entitled to their own opinion.

4. Denigrating another poster's opinion tends to make your argument look weak.

Excellent points to keep in mind when posting.

I was fortunate enough to be on the Westerdam Panama canal cruise with Kazu which set a record for roll call posts. Kazu set up a number of fabulous private tours. I also was on a number of great private tours on my Oosterdam TA last November. However, my upcoming 22 night South Pacific tour with really cool ports is completely dead-16 people and 5 pages with less than 2 months to go. I think 3 of us have come up with private tours, which is too bad as the ship ones are not nearly as nice, nearly as long, or nearly as good for the most part.

Thanks for a rational post from someone who understands the benefits to sharing private excursions and that Roll Calls can be great.

I absolutely agree with you. If I feel I know someone because they post on the HAL board, that is a whole lot different from a total stranger joining a roll call, saying "Hi, I'm Jaime. I'd love to join your tour."

How do I know we'll be compatible? Maybe one of us likes to stop at every shop along the way, while the other doesn't want any shop-stops at all. How's your stamina? Is one a chatter-box, while the other isn't? What if BOTH are chatter-boxes? :eek: Does one have a let's take it slow and savor, while the other wants to see as much as they can.

Different styles---each being fine for one, but not the other---is not going to be a good tour.

And this is one of the most ridiculous responses. Do you book your own private tour with no one other than your traveling party? If not, the odds of getting one of the people you don't like is much higher on one of the ship's bus tours of 40 people. Private tours that people organize on Roll Calls are rarely for only 4 people. Typically it's 6 -16 people. I've only had one bad experience with people on a private excursion and in that case it was the organizer's husband (and it was just the 4 of us).

Do you book your own private tour with no one other than your traveling party?

Why yes, as a matter of fact, that's exactly what we do. We are interested in an enjoyable, compatible time while we tour. Since we already know we get along with each other, we know we can make changes to the plans---such as let's stop now and just go back to the ship---without disappointing someone else.

It doesn't have to work for you.

And this is one of the most ridiculous responses. Do you book your own private tour with no one other than your traveling party? If not, the odds of getting one of the people you don't like is much higher on one of the ship's bus tours of 40 people. Private tours that people organize on Roll Calls are rarely for only 4 people. Typically it's 6 -16 people. I've only had one bad experience with people on a private excursion and in that case it was the organizer's husband (and it was just the 4 of us).

I don't understand your response. I travel solo and have booked private excursions (quite easily) for just one person. Or sometimes for 2 persons if I am traveling with a friend. Or three persons if there is a compatible couple.

Where did you get the idea that you have to have 6-16 people? If that's the case, then it isn't a truly "private" tour.

We used to love, and be very active in Roll Calls as well as the onboard Meet and Greets. For us it was a way to meet other folks, talk about the ports, help others who wanted to do some independent travel (we seldom take tours), and also meet and chat with those on the few private tours we have booked. But the Roll Calls changed. For some reason, some HAL passengers thought it was inappropriate to talk about private tours...or even do it yourself options. These self-appointed police made it clear that, in their minds) it was not appropriate to talk about anything other then dogs, cats, knitting, and overpriced HAL Excursions.

So, exit us :). Now we do still sometimes post about independent options and occasionally join a private tour. On our most recent cruise (Voyage of the Vikings) we did show-up at the Meet and Greet....but only for long enough to meet the lady who had organized a private excursion that we booked. But then we got out of there.....because it would have only been a matter of time until one of the self-appointed police tried to limit or control our speech, It would kind of be like flying on Southwest Airlines....and being told, "you are not allowed to discuss Delta or any other airline."

Hank

I absolutely agree with you. If I feel I know someone because they post on the HAL board, that is a whole lot different from a total stranger joining a roll call, saying "Hi, I'm Jaime. I'd love to join your tour."

How do I know we'll be compatible? Maybe one of us likes to stop at every shop along the way, while the other doesn't want any shop-stops at all. How's your stamina? Is one a chatter-box, while the other isn't? What if BOTH are chatter-boxes? :eek: Does one have a let's take it slow and savor, while the other wants to see as much as they can.

Different styles---each being fine for one, but not the other---is not going to be a good tour.

LOL, you just made me realize DW and I have nothing in common, and it is a wonder that we go on the same tours. :D

But, we only take private or what some want to call "small group" "non-cruise line" tours, and we somehow get along. If I get the tour together I always post a link to the provider's website which typically does a good job of explaining the tour, and points out physical qualities needed. I also add any relevant information that I am aware of that might not be obvious.

If by stamina you mean able to walk, climb mountains etc. Yep make that clear.

If shipping is important or not make that clear in the description.

If the day is packed with things to see/do make that clear.

Talking, and other personality traits. Everyone should be like me, but that would be terribly boring, and I can put up with about anyone for a day. In fact I like different kinds of people. It is so nice to meet and talk to people who are different for one reason or another. That is just me.

My point is many of the items you listed should be in the private tour description.

FWIW, we have sailed on HAL five times, but not since 2005. We left because of the smoking policy. We liked everything else about HAL. We are returning primarily because HAL has tightened up on smoking, and our cruise next year has a wonderful itineary.

LOL, you just made me realize DW and I have nothing in common, and it is a wonder that we go on the same tours. :D

But, we only take private or what some want to call "small group" "non-cruise line" tours, and we somehow get along. If I get the tour together I always post a link to the provider's website which typically does a good job of explaining the tour, and points out physical qualities needed. I also add any relevant information that I am aware of that might not be obvious.

If by stamina you mean able to walk, climb mountains etc. Yep make that clear.

If shipping is important or not make that clear in the description.

If the day is packed with things to see/do make that clear.

Talking, and other personality traits. Everyone should be like me, but that would be terribly boring, and I can put up with about anyone for a day. In fact I like different kinds of people. It is so nice to meet and talk to people who are different for one reason or another. That is just me.

My point is many of the items you listed should be in the private tour description.

FWIW, we have sailed on HAL five times, but not since 2005. We left because of the smoking policy. We liked everything else about HAL. We are returning primarily because HAL has tightened up on smoking, and our cruise next year has a wonderful itineary.

I have been on a roll call with RuthC and I understand what she is talking about.

Everyone has their limitations/specific interests in a private tour and, as you say, it is VERY important that the organizer makes the tour clear (ie. there are NO shopping stops, the steps are steep, etc.).

I get a level of comfort with my roll call members between the posts and/or emails (anyone on a tour with me needs to email as I need to reach them for any updates/changes, etc.)

For me, I get the answers for my roll call members. Sometimes a tour description isn't enough (at least, not for me). I know certain questions that will be asked and do them upfront with the operator.

Totally agree with you that is up to the organizer to make all things clear and make sure that no one is on a tour they won't enjoy. It's kind of a thankless job in some ways, but the joys of a private tour and the flexibility it brings as well as getting to know some people better make it totally worthwhile to me.

And, for the record, if our cruise hadn't been chartered out from underneath us, I knew what RuthC was looking for and I know she would have been on some of my shorter tours. Alas, the cruise didn't happen and we still haven't met in person :(

1. While you could not pay me to join a Roll Call, Cruise Critic is for sharing information. That includes information on Roll Calls.

2. You are entitled to your opinion

3. Other people are entitled to their own opinion.

4. Denigrating another poster's opinion tends to make your argument look weak.

Spot on, Venndiagam! Recent times have seen a rather nasty edge to information sharing, and a determined effort to steer posters away from asking questions on Cruise Critic.

Adding.... I was also on the Westerdam Panama in 2015 with Kazu, and all the tours arranged via the roll call were exceptional and well-researched. The same went for 2012 and 2014, but for 2017 we did very few tours, though some were arranged by people on the roll call, and the M&G was very well attended, including by the Captain and Hotel Director. All very friendly. Later reports about those tours were all very positive.

One of our current roll calls is unique, for us. Almost zero mention of tours except by a tour operator who keeps barging in but gets no response, and while the roll call is relatively quiet, it is very friendly, and there has been a lot of exchange of information on our destinations. Ideas on places to go, but no pushing of tours. It has allowed us to get to know others - as much as you can on a forum - and we look forward to meeting those folks onboard. Isn't that what it's all about?

As to quiet or indeed dead roll calls - yes we've had our share of those, mostly for Alaska TBH, but we've also done some informal get-togethers of the maybe 5 people who posted to the RC once onboard and made great friends in that way

... I'm not going to join private tours and I have no interest in Cabin Crawls or Bar Crawls. My cruises are family reunions for me so I'm more interested in spending time with my family than making new friends...

It seems like some of the Roll Calls are all about get-togethers, Meet & Greets, or other new friend bonding activities. But in my experience the main focus has gotten to be private tours, and I only book ship-based tours. I'm not going to make up the numbers on anyone's tour so I feel like I do not belong in the Roll Call group...

IMO all valid points. (y) (y) (y)

Thanks for a rational post from someone who understands the benefits to sharing private excursions and that Roll Calls can be great.

And this is one of the most ridiculous responses. Do you book your own private tour with no one other than your traveling party? If not, the odds of getting one of the people you don't like is much higher on one of the ship's bus tours of 40 people.

Not really. If you are on a big bus you don't have to talk with anyone else (except maybe the person sitting next to you) and everyone follows the directions of the tour leader. In a small group you have to interact with other people and listen to them. Buses will leave without people if they are too slow. A small group, not so much.

I don't understand your response. I travel solo and have booked private excursions (quite easily) for just one person. Or sometimes for 2 persons if I am traveling with a friend. Or three persons if there is a compatible couple.

Where did you get the idea that you have to have 6-16 people? If that's the case, then it isn't a truly "private" tour.

Most of the time, when booking a private tour (and yes, that can be for as many as 16 people, as I just had on my British Isles cruise, just so long as it's not booked thru the cruise line), you pay a fixed fixed price. So if you book a van that can seat 8 people and they charge you $500, it's $250 per person if you just use it for a couple, or $62.50 a person if you fill the van. I checked for Norway tours recently at Tours By Locals, and they were all several hundred dollars, but they could take somewhere between 6-10 people on each.

If you can afford to book one of these tours and pay for it all yourself, or if you're traveling with a large enough group that you can fill the tour, then by all means do so and skip looking for people on the roll call. My goal is to get the best private tour I can and find the most people possible to share the cost with me. Sorry if that wasn't obvious to everyone.

Some people do private tours to get a cheaper price. Others book privately to get a better tour. Very different objectives.

Quite true Ruth. I book private tours for the better tour.

Much more flexibility and ability to see so much more.

Ironically, they are often a better price than the tours on board - not always but quite often ;) and far more in depth and can take you to some places that the tour buses can't go. :)

Ironically, they are often a better price than the tours on board - not always but quite often ;) and far more in depth and can take you to some places that the tour buses can't go. :)

That is so true.

I remember my private tour on my first trip to St. Petersburg. There were two of us, so we were each able to stand next to the guide, hear, and ask questions, at the various stops. It was especially noticeable in the Hermitage where we saw HAL tours with about 25 people with one guide. The front of the group was at the next exhibit when the back of the group was just getting to the previous one.

Now, we paid more than a larger group would have, but we also saw every single thing that was on all the various HAL tours combined, and we moved at our speed. Value was significantly higher than taking a HAL tour, and certainly higher than being with a larger group, too.

Precisely put: my wife and I frequently set up, or participate in, "private excursions" - sometimes just us, sometimes with one, two, or a few others we have met (and found compatible) while on a cruise. It can involve a taxi or, if there might be six or so, a small van.

Some people do private tours to get a cheaper price. Others book privately to get a better tour. Very different objectives.

Very true. Priorities are highly individual. My goal is to have the best experience possible -- according to my own agenda (and budget of course). Often that means traveling alone by local transportation, making it a very low-cost day. Other times I have paid for a private tour for one ($500 or more) if there is no other way to see or do what I want....

I have highly specific tastes and it would be extremely unlikely that I could find a group of 15 others interested in spending a day doing the itinerary I would set. Closest I got was a private tour to Ephesus (in depth) and a stop at the local museum nearby for 8. I found it distracting herding people and worrying about the group logistics.

I, too, had a small private tour of St. Petersburg (4 people) that met every expectation I had. But truthfully I get the most out of visiting sites like museums, churches, archaeological sites, etc. when I am just by myself. I can think, ponder, read my guidebook/notes and just let it all sink in!

I've always booked private excursions arranged by people in our roll calls. *knock on wood* I've never had a bad experience. I've also made lifelong friends with some of the people I've met in roll calls and with whom I've gone on excursions with. Often, we try to see if we're cruising on the same ship at a later date. There are people you click with in the roll call and people you don't click with, just like in real life.

I've always booked private excursions arranged by people in our roll calls. *knock on wood* I've never had a bad experience. I've also made lifelong friends with some of the people I've met in roll calls and with whom I've gone on excursions with. Often, we try to see if we're cruising on the same ship at a later date. There are people you click with in the roll call and people you don't click with, just like in real life.

Exactly! That sums it up for me.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

But is that after you've at least chatted on the roll call to get to know each other? I've made life-long friends through CC too, and have had many cruises with them. It's when people talk only about setting up private tours that I have a problem. I have no idea if we "click" or not.

But is that after you've at least chatted on the roll call to get to know each other? I've made life-long friends through CC too, and have had many cruises with them. It's when people talk only about setting up private tours that I have a problem. I have no idea if we "click" or not.

Agree. There needs to be a half way point on roll calls. ;). I guess we have been lucky that way.

Also, don't forget - as a roll call member, anyone can bring up a topic so it is not only private tour oriented ;)

Agree. There needs to be a half way point on roll calls. ;). I guess we have been lucky that way.

Also, don't forget - as a roll call member, anyone can bring up a topic so it is not only private tour oriented ;)

We need more people like you, Kazu. We were lucky enough to cruise with you & Jose (FLL- BCN.....March 30-April 13/17). Thanks to all your hard work with spreadsheets, etc., so many of us had a fantastic cruise, either by the various

tours you arranged, or by just getting together. Lots of good memories, thank you! The roll calls are what you make

them to be, in my opinion.

Donna