Ruby Princess - Gelato in Int'l Cafe?

Coffeeluvr05

Is it true that the IC on the Ruby Princess has gelato? What is the charge and does the coffee card cover gelato as well? We are serious gelato lovers, but it has to be GOOD gelato. By good, I mean the proper consistency.

Yes.......

$1.50 for 3 scoops.

The coffee card..........sometimes it does and sometimes it does not. Just ask.

Is it true that the IC on the Ruby Princess has gelato? What is the charge and does the coffee card cover gelato as well? We are serious gelato lovers, but it has to be GOOD gelato. By good, I mean the proper consistency.

Except do NOT waste a coffee card punch on the gelato. A coffee card punch is worth significantly more than $1.50. Just put it on your cruise card and enjoy.

If you are not sure if it is up to your standard, ask for a small sample.

Except do NOT waste a coffee card punch on the gelato. A coffee card punch is worth significantly more than $1.50. Just put it on your cruise card and enjoy.

If you are not sure if it is up to your standard, ask for a small sample.

Right! Thanks for pointing that fact out about not wasting a coffee card punch! $1.50 isn't too bad.

In another recent thread folks say the gelato is "okay" but not great. I don't know as I've never had gelato in my life. Of course I'm also the guy who has never purchased anything from Starbucks either. ;p

Gelato is very cheap and good.

I could be wrong but the place is called Gelato but I think its premium ice cream. Did not taste like Gelato to me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Gelatos are only on the Regal and Royal I believe. Have had gelato at IC on other ships. Not a connoisseur of Gelato by any means but what I had on the Caribbean was very good. Definitely worth 1.50 :-)

Yes, specific gelato/ice cream place on Regal/Royal (probably Majestic too). See the IC for gelato on Ruby/Emerald/Crown and Caribbean (I am pretty sure that was the exception not many years ago and it always seemed odd as to why not there as well). Should be anywhere there is an IC, but I have not been on every ship with an IC. :(

I could be wrong but the place is called Gelato but I think its premium ice cream. Did not taste like Gelato to me.

On the Ruby, the place is called International Cafe, deck 5, mid-ship, port side. The IC is somewhat L-shaped, with coffee at the bend in the L, sandwiches and small dessert nibbles in the middle, and a gelato case at the upper (forward) end. It's somewhat tucked away so you'll pretty much have to walk up to the counter to see that it's Gelato, 3 scoops for $1.50, and what flavors they have.

I'm by no means a gelato connoisseur, but I did enjoy it two or three times last week as a mid-afternoon fun "snack". The Straciatella (or whatever it was....supposedly strawberry and chocolate or something like that) was a lot closer to vanilla than what I expected, but it still disappeared from my bowl quickly. Interestingly, the first time, my gelato was served in a "simple" bowl, whereas on my last visit it was served on a neat glass plate with three depressions to hold the gelato. If there's not enough space to sit and eat NOW, or if you're planning to go anywhere else, I'd suggest asking for a bowl to help contain it.

Yes, specific gelato/ice cream place on Regal/Royal (probably Majestic too). See the IC for gelato on Ruby/Emerald/Crown and Caribbean (I am pretty sure that was the exception not many years ago and it always seemed odd as to why not there as well). Should be anywhere there is an IC, but I have not been on every ship with an IC. :(

The CB did not have gelato when we sailed in April 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In another recent thread folks say the gelato is "okay" but not great. I don't know as I've never had gelato in my life. Of course I'm also the guy who has never purchased anything from Starbucks either. ;p

Well I see you are fairly local to me. If you have a Nugget Market near you, try their gelato. It’s really good. It’s served in much smaller quantity than ice cream because it’s very rich and you just need a little. Surprisingly, it has less fat than ice cream. Ice cream uses cream, but gelato is mostly milk. You would never guess it though!

I totally agree with you. IMHO the gelato is not they good.

Tony

When I heard that there was a special place for Gelato on the Royal, I was very excited, although a bit concerned about how my blood sugar and weight would fare. After all, I had coffee cards to spend! Well, I had it exactly once. I too was not that thrilled with it. It was lacking something and the consistency seemed wrong. And I haven't gone back for seconds. Maybe I'll try it again next month on the Regal.

Maureen

The CB did not have gelato when we sailed in April 2017.

This always made no sense to me - at least on a continuing basis now. Anyway, I seem to recall reading someone posting having it on that ship. But I cannot say for sure. Friends are on the TA right now, but he doesn't do CC posting. I will have to ask out of curiosity when they get back.

Correct, it was only on ships that had the IC from the start. (Ruby/Emerald/Crown)

Royal/Regal have a dedicated gelato counter/area.

Ships that were refitted with an IC did not have room for the gelato machine.

Keith

Have a great cruise & smooth sailing !!

Srpilo

We have enjoyed the gelato on several ships...most recently the Ruby and Regal. In our "expert" opinion it is pretty good, but not close to some of the fabulous gelato we have enjoyed in both Italy and France. The best gelato is made from the freshest ingredients.. which can not be done in the middle of the sea.

Hank