Alaska - Inside passage or not?

Lolou127

Hi everyone, thanks for letting me join the forums, I’m trying to plan an Alaskan cruise for next August/September, I think the inside passage round sailing from Vancouver is what is best for us, but the better deals are with celebrity to the Hubbard Glacier, I’m looking for some expert help on this one, would the celebrity cruise be very much in rougher seas?

Another question, Can I as a U.K. citizen book with a US TA? I’m getting conflicting information on this

Hmmm..yes, the link is funky. Try again here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Or find the Alaska board here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/

Seas can be rough anywhere, anytime. If you are sailing roundtrip from Vancouver, you have a better chance of smoother seas than sailing roundtrip from Seattle.

Hi everyone, thanks for letting me join the forums, I’m trying to plan an Alaskan cruise for next August/September, I think the inside passage round sailing from Vancouver is what is best for us, but the better deals are with celebrity to the Hubbard Glacier, I’m looking for some expert help on this one, would the celebrity cruise be very much in rougher seas?

Another question, Can I as a U.K. citizen book with a US TA? I’m getting conflicting information on this

You'll be in the Alaskan Inside passage for a number of days. Most Vancouver cruises are one to Alaska (either Whittier or Seward) Celebrity and Holland have round trips out of Vancouver . Before deciding which cruise and departure port . Compare port times for the cruises. Seattle cruises have a tendency to has shorter port times because they ave to syop in Victoria BC.

If from Vancouver are you doing a one way north or south bound to Alaska . If a one way consider the extra cost of airfare to Anchorage or Fairbanks. If one way do you want to do a Alaska land tour before or after your cruise.

You'll really have to do your homework before choosing.

We have done over 8 Alaskan cruises on various lines.

No. The difference is only the glacier the ship goes to. Princess and Holland America have ships that sail to Glacier Bay. The route from Vancouver to Ketchikan will be about the same--to the east of Vancouver Island. It's the round-trip cruises from Seattle that have more chances of rough seas since they sail west of Vancouver Island.

Thanks all, the plan is to do round trip from Vancouver so the celebrity cruise would not be too much difference (rough seas wise) to the HAL one?

No one is going to be able to promise you that. However, I bet the HAL cruise out of Vancouver goes over 80% or more of the same route the Celebrity cruise does. They have too. There aren't that many alternatives.

As mentioned before, seas can be rough any time and any location...you are on a ship on the water, and both move. If you have issues with sea sickness, you need to be prepared every day you are on ship. Picking one cruise line over another to avoid sea sickness is overthinking this. You should be selecting a cruise line or ship based on the itinerary- the ports stopped at, or cruised (like Glacier Bay), time in port...things like that.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

No one answered your other question. If you are from the UK you can not book through a US travel agency.

HAL and Princess have the majority of the permits for Glacier Bay.

Not true re booking with a US travel agent if you are from the UK. Daughter and her cousin found one and saved £400 each on their recent cruise. The problem is finding one who will accept bookings from the UK. They are out there, you just have to search.