New Itinerary:

denims

A fellow cruiser on our 11/5/17 cruise got this note from Princess:

ITINERARY CHANGE

To follow up on our previous communication regarding your cruise to the Caribbean, we are pleased to report that Aruba, Bonaire, and Grenada are open and accepting cruise calls, and we anticipate that St Thomas and Grand Turk will begin accepting port calls in early November and will be available for your cruise.

With an eye towards the safety and enjoyment of our guests, we have made the necessary decision to replace our call to Dominica on Saturday, November 11, 2017 with a call to Martinique from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM on the same date. As a result of this change, we will now arrive in St Thomas at 9:00 AM on Sunday, November 12, rather than at 9:00 AM as previously scheduled.

Guests who booked Princess shore excursions for Dominica will receive a refund to the original form of payment. Shore excursions for Martinique will be available within the next two weeks or may be booked on board.

The part about Grand Turk in early November is incorrect because my wife just got notice today of a swap from there to Princess Cay for her Nov 8-13 trip.

Our email came directly from Princess. Don't know why we are goig and you aren't!

I imagine with all the damage to the USVI and TCI, it is going to be some time before they are able to host cruise ships. Further when they do start to allow cruise ships, there may not be much to see or do once the ship is in port. Unfortunately these islands were torn apart by two terrible hurricanes and it is going to take some time to repair. Stay tuned.

The part about Grand Turk in early November is incorrect because my wife just got notice today of a swap from there to Princess Cay for her Nov 8-13 trip.

I think this is because they are on the Royal Princess sailing November 5 and you are on a different cruise with a different itinerary.

Our NYE Royal has had the same change - Martinique in place of Dominica. St Thomas remains on the itinerary for now. Very sad about Dominica. Not sure how they will recover as the rain forest was a huge part of their tourism draw.

When were you notified? We are on the Regal departing 2 days before you with the same itinerary as you, and our itinerary hasn't been updated yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I imagine with all the damage to the USVI and TCI, it is going to be some time before they are able to host cruise ships. Further when they do start to allow cruise ships, there may not be much to see or do once the ship is in port. Unfortunately these islands were torn apart by two terrible hurricanes and it is going to take some time to repair. Stay tuned.

Sounds like St Thomas will be open this year. So, no, it won't be "some time."

I thought I read somewhere (sorry, I just can't remember where) that Grand Turk would only be accepting one ship at a time for awhile. Perhaps that explains why some ships will call there and some will be diverted. Just a guess.

I am pleased with the change to Martinique as it is new to me, but my heart is heavy for the people of Dominica.

And, FWIW, I didn't get notified about my Nov 5 Royal cruise, but I do see the change in my personalizer.

I thought I read somewhere (sorry, I just can't remember where) that Grand Turk would only be accepting one ship at a time for awhile. Perhaps that explains why some ships will call there and some will be diverted. Just a guess.

I am pleased with the change to Martinique as it is new to me, but my heart is heavy for the people of Dominica.

And, FWIW, I didn't get notified about my Nov 5 Royal cruise, but I do see the change in my personalizer.

I read the same about Grand Turk only accepting one ship at the time ... so am also guessing that is why.....

Did anyone else notice that. Huh?! :confused:
LOL, I noticed it, too, Bobbie. ;) Something got lost in the cutting and pasting rush.

Something else to consider with the port switching ...Princess still has to figure logistics along with the other cruiselines. Not every ship/itinerary that was scheduled for port A can be changed to Port B. And then there is the time/distance/fuel calculation for Day 1/PortA to Day 2/PortB. What used to be repeat itineraries could end up going literally all over the place, as much as they will try to minimize that happening.

Sounds like St Thomas will be open this year. So, no, it won't be "some time."

On ours, I noticed the change to Martinique from Dominica in the Calendar and Planning tab in my Personalizer last night around 10:15. Then I received a revised Booking Notice via email from Princess at 12:27 a.m this morning. We book directly with Princess.

Hope that is helpful.

Safe Journeys, Paul

Sent from my iPad using Forums

LOL, I noticed it, too, Bobbie. ;) Something got lost in the cutting and pasting rush.

Something else to consider with the port switching ...Princess still has to figure logistics along with the other cruiselines. Not every ship/itinerary that was scheduled for port A can be changed to Port B. And then there is the time/distance/fuel calculation for Day 1/PortA to Day 2/PortB. What used to be repeat itineraries could end up going literally all over the place, as much as they will try to minimize that happening.

Thanks, Cheryl. Glad I wasn't the only one. :D