Cheddar on Norwegian?

GetMeOnThatShip

Cheddar cheese is from Cheddar Gorge in Somerset, UK. The "orange cheddar" is what we call Red Leicester cheese. Made in Leicester

Right on but none compare with Long Clawson Stilton!!

a pint or two of bitters

Now that would be a lip puckerer. Bitter is great but bitters!!!

If ever someone has tasted proper Red Leicester then they would realise that orange rubber 'cheddar' is not even an attempt at imitation.

I am afraid to say that many of our US cousins have been conned into what constitutes cheese. We did find some decent cheese in NYC but in upstate NY it was a cheese desert.

My first move on returning home to UK was chomping on a lump of Wensleydale whilst cooking a proper bacon sandwich.

Cheddar cheese is from Cheddar Gorge in Somerset, UK. The "orange cheddar" is what we call Red Leicester cheese. Made in Leicester

Right on but none compare with Long Clawson Stilton!!

a pint or two of bitters

Now that would be a lip puckerer. Bitter is great but bitters!!!

A pint of Angostura would be a real eye opener..:eek:

Whether it's an ordinary bitter, a best bitter, an extra special bitter they are all good, but all mine are ordinary.. LOL

bosco

If ever someone has tasted proper Red Leicester then they would realise that orange rubber 'cheddar' is not even an attempt at imitation.

I am afraid to say that many of our US cousins have been conned into what constitutes cheese. We did find some decent cheese in NYC but in upstate NY it was a cheese desert.

My first move on returning home to UK was chomping on a lump of Wensleydale whilst cooking a proper bacon sandwich.

We've made a little progress since the Revolutionary War and Upstate New York has several shops selling almost exclusively foods imported from across the pond and two of my local supermarkets have enough cheese from the UK and The Emerald Isle to stock a cruise ship.. LOL

Smooth sailing to all.

bosco

I'm guessing you have never traveled to Vermont or Wisconsin. Some of the best cheeses in the world.

We've made a little progress since the Revolutionary War and Upstate New York has several shops selling almost exclusively foods imported from across the pond and two of my local supermarkets have enough cheese from the UK and The Emerald Isle to stock a cruise ship.. LOL

Smooth sailing to all.

bosco

I bet you've got drive miles and miles to get to them though;). I agree that you folks are catching up on some of the better comestible things in life - your upsurge in proper beer was a pleasant revelation from my first (of many) visits to USA this year.

Interestingly,the hotel we stayed in NYC had a little shop next door with a load of Brit stuff in it (Marmite etc..) - eye-watering prices though. Mind you, we have the same problem in UK - we need Graham crackers for DW's Boston Cream pie base and for S'mores - very expensive for us but there is no real UK equivalent.

I'm guessing you have never traveled to Vermont or Wisconsin. Some of the best cheeses in the world.

Not yet been there - maybe there is hope for us all though - do they do proper Stilton, Parmesan, Gorgonzola, Roquefort, Reblechon - the list could go on...?

(You might just have guessed that I am a beer and cheese geek - some things just have to be right).

25+ cruises and lots of cheese plates in place of desserts and rare to find a cheddar that couldn't pass for an unholy Swiss.. A few times in the older specialty rooms on Celebrity (Olympic-Normandie) their cheese cart presentation had some really flavorful cheeses.. Buffet choices are flavorless or at least have proven so on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and HAL. We will soon see how NCL stacks up.. LOL

bosco

First NCL cruise we did in 2008 they had Reblechon - I filled my boots - next cruise - no sign of it.

BTW - US Munster cheese is not the same as European Munster.

Not yet been there - maybe there is hope for us all though - do they do proper Stilton, Parmesan, Gorgonzola, Roquefort, Reblechon - the list could go on...?

(You might just have guessed that I am a beer and cheese geek - some things just have to be right).

My local has plenty of each of those and all are imported from the UK, Italy,or France. As far English bacon goes, I make it and it's called cured pork loin over here.

bosco

My local has plenty of each of those and all are imported from the UK, Italy,or France. As far English bacon goes, I make it and it's called cured pork loin over here.

bosco

Clearly you know and appreciate your cheeses - respect to you and enjoy!

You do realise that you are setting yourself up for hosting a cheese, bacon and beer party don't you?:*

Clearly you know and appreciate your cheeses - respect to you and enjoy!

You do realise that you are setting yourself up for hosting a cheese, bacon and beer party don't you?:*

Love to do it. I don't know how well NCL would view it if I tried to sneak a few cases of my home brew and a seven or eight pound cured pork loin through the carry on screening.. LOL. You can bring the cheeses..

bosco

complaining about Cheese what a very British thread :-)

Real cheddar of course makes your mouth do an O and then the mouth waters for what is to come - delicious

but it is never orange

that is Red Leicester which while milder is also delicious

Waiting for the PG Tips thread next ha! [emoji87]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a nasty habit of throwing that stuff in the harbor...

I grew up getting tea only as a last resort when we were dying of an illness like a cold.... LOL.

bosco

So many updates to reply too...

1) when you got stuck in the mud in the Spring in Vermont, that was not spring but our 5th season..Mud Season.

2) would definitely put our VT white Cheddar against any NY stuff.

3) I have to decide if I want to spend my money on some of the UK cheese or another cruise!

4) VT cheese increases brain cell development.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Sort of gives one a newfound appreciation for butter & honey. On Norwegian, when a staffmember is asked for something that's missing, they tend to (at first) point to what they have instead & insist that's what you're asking for. Might be a "saying no in a positive way" customer service thing.

As the song goes, Yes, we have no bananas today! Am I showing my age?

As the song goes, Yes, we have no bananas today! Am I showing my age?

Oh don't! Feeling the love in this thread! Has cruising entered into the Cockney Sparrow world yet? If so, which cruise company/ship would it be on?

And better add, to keep on theme, which John Cleese would they choose?

Cheese and Rice, this'll confuse them across the Pond! [emoji23][emoji893][emoji506]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to protest against those suggesting orange US cheddar is the same as Red Leicester. It's like suggesting a French Burgundy is the same as a Californian Zinfandel because they are both red wines (no disrespect to either)! Takes me back to when I first started visiting Israel and the only choice was whether you wanted white cheese or yellow cheese.

Adding to the list of US food related items it's hard to source in the UK, liquid smoke and pickle pebbles. However, having just paid a lot of money to ship over my pickle pebbles, a UK store has just started advertising they sell them. On the other hand, my friends from New Jersey had never heard of fried gefilte fish balls, which are more common in the UK than boiled gefilte fish.