Cheddar on Norwegian?

GetMeOnThatShip

It drives me insane that people outside the U.S., and sometimes within, equate processed "American" cheese slices with "cheddar" or as the only cheese American's make or eat. We have a lot of really, really wonderful cheese in the U.S.! Wisconsin even hosts the World Cheese Championship. We don't just eat it on sandwiches and burgers. In fact, a part without a cheese and cracker tray just isn't a party where I come from. Super sharp cheddars, soft goat cheeses, gorgonzolas, brie, gouda, swiss, we make them, too, and they are delicious!

Yes, we still eat the weird rubbery processed cheese, too. It's cheap generally reserved for three applications: cheap hamburgers, melted into a dip for tortilla chips, cheap grilled cheese sandwiches. Yes, it's fake cheese. Yes, many of us enjoy it for a specific purpose. We are weird like that. No, it's not our only cheese we make. And hey, look, a Swiss inventor is credited with inventing the fake cheese: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processed_cheese

On ships, the cheese doesn't melt because the burgers aren't hot when they put any cheese on it. If they threw it on the grill and put a lid over the burger for 30 seconds, you'd have melted cheese. The type, country of production, doesn't matter in this case. It's about sloppy production, not the cheese itself.

Bosco,

Lox is less common here, smoked salmon is more usual, and is great in a bagel or onion platzel (I think you call them bialys) with cream cheese, cucumber, freshly ground black pepper and a squeeze of lemon.

The best known salmon smoker is Formans in East London, who invented the London cure. We are invited to a wedding reception in a couple of weeks at a function suite at Formans' premises, which I'm really looking forward to. When I was a pre-teen some fifty years ago, smoked salmon was very expensive and for us to be had only on special occasions only. Nowdays there is a lot of cheap smoked salmon available, from around £2 a quarter, though I understand a lot of the cheap stuff has a short smoke and added smoke flavour - the weight loss through dry salting and the time needed for a proper smoke are not viable for the cheap end smoked salmon. The very best quality hand sliced and properly smoked wild salmon is still expensive but a great experience, though Saturday night I had compliments that my smoked salmon was the best my guests had ever tasted!.

BaWBarmy,

Proper brie is made with unpasteurised milk, which I understand raises health concerns in the US and apparently is stabilised when exported to the States for increased shelf life, so it may not be the real thing as we know it.

In fact, a party without a cheese and cracker tray just isn't a party where I come from. Super sharp cheddars, soft goat cheeses, gorgonzolas, brie, gouda, swiss, we make them, too, and they are delicious!

Yes, we still eat the weird rubbery processed cheese, too. It's cheap generally reserved for three applications: cheap hamburgers, melted into a dip for tortilla chips, cheap grilled cheese sandwiches. Yes, it's fake cheese. Yes, many of us enjoy it for a specific purpose. We are weird like that. No, it's not our only cheese we make. And hey, look, a Swiss inventor is credited with inventing the fake cheese: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processed_cheese[/

It all really boils down to lifestyle and convenience and how much you're prepared to pay for cheese.

I enjoyed reading your list tho, made my mouth water! Has anyone tried Camembert straight from the oven?

Divine to share and decent crackers or toast to dip in!

A good Brie is a bit runny still. But at the end of the day all cheese is processed (or it would be milk!).

Fattening but lovely. Who on earth would buy a burger on board a cruise ship, let alone the cheese slices on top! So many other things to try.

We did have some Wagyu steak burgers the other day, cooked in the oven as they were thick, between a brioche burger bun with salad and a slice of the below pic....guilty!

4bd151ec44ef1377de785142ce2f6601.jpg

Fattening but lovely. Who on earth would buy a burger on board a cruise ship, let alone the cheese slices on top! So many other things to try.

We do not "do" burgers at all but in deference to the host country have ONE on every visit to the States or Canada and also ONE during a cruise just to say we have!!

I actually did a weekend cheese-making course last year. Very enjoyable, but came to the conclusion that I didn't have the right facilities at home for doing most cheeses. However, I've just taken delivery oif a newly developed culinary centrifuge from the US. Great for making butter and labeneh cream cheese, and still exploring other uses.

I actually did a weekend cheese-making course last year. Very enjoyable, but came to the conclusion that I didn't have the right facilities at home for doing most cheeses. However, I've just taken delivery oif a newly developed culinary centrifuge from the US. Great for making butter and labeneh cream cheese, and still exploring other uses.

Cheese making, aside from mozzarella and Ricotta which are simple, is too much for me. I play with meats, breads and homebrew.. LOL

bosco

It drives me insane that people outside the U.S., and sometimes within, equate processed "American" cheese slices with "cheddar" or as the only cheese American's make or eat. We have a lot of really, really wonderful cheese in the U.S.! Wisconsin even hosts the World Cheese Championship. We don't just eat it on sandwiches and burgers. In fact, a part without a cheese and cracker tray just isn't a party where I come from. Super sharp cheddars, soft goat cheeses, gorgonzolas, brie, gouda, swiss, we make them, too, and they are delicious!

Yes, we still eat the weird rubbery processed cheese, too. It's cheap generally reserved for three applications: cheap hamburgers, melted into a dip for tortilla chips, cheap grilled cheese sandwiches. Yes, it's fake cheese. Yes, many of us enjoy it for a specific purpose. We are weird like that. No, it's not our only cheese we make. And hey, look, a Swiss inventor is credited with inventing the fake cheese: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processed_cheese

On ships, the cheese doesn't melt because the burgers aren't hot when they put any cheese on it. If they threw it on the grill and put a lid over the burger for 30 seconds, you'd have melted cheese. The type, country of production, doesn't matter in this case. It's about sloppy production, not the cheese itself.

In a regular store Stop & Shop next to us there are about 300 cheese types from all over the world including our own. And this is not even Whole Foods or some gourmet Boston's store. Just a supermarket in suburbs.

We do not "do" burgers at all but in deference to the host country have ONE on every visit to the States or Canada and also ONE during a cruise just to say we have!!

We live in US and don't eat burgers.

Only nice fresh steaks or steak tips.

And on cruise ships with all nice dishes available we wouldn't even think of doing so.

Now it's meat etymology 101. LOL

It isn't bad enough to discuss the differences in cheese now it's meat.. HaHaHa.

In the States during the rationing days of World War 2 the Government put meat on the rationing system and described the meats by name, like Chopped beef, beef roasts etc... To bypass some of these rules butchers started coming up with different names to avoid the problem. Delmonico steak, NY Strip, Porter house, top round, bottom round, prime rib, rib eye and more and more to today the supermarket ads need a dictionary.

And my last thought on the topic is the difference between what is jelly and what is jam.. (U.K. vs U.S.)

According to the hit song in 1944 (the definitive word on this subject) the Words are, " IT MUST BE JELLY CAUSE JAM DON`T SHAKE LIKE THAT."

Great fun on this thread..

Have a good night all.

Edited by boscobeans

But we do have "Jelly" in the English speaking world as well as "Jam"!!! What about "Conserve?"

And marmalade and conserve and preserve and Chutney and butters and AARRGH my head is spinning..Now I am fearing doing the shopping.. LOL

Thanks to all on either side of the pond for some friendly comic relief in today's messed up world.

bosco

I've enjoyed this thread too. It's food related, something we all have in common.

As jelly came up (casofilia) I thought I'd check the various forms on Wikipedia, my favourite place to go!

I bought some quince jelly the other day, such a rock hard fruit to make jam from, let alone clear jelly. My Dad used to make it as he had an abundance of the fruit that used to ripen all at once! Took him forever to get one jar as the stones are large and very little fruit. Memories. It's lovely with white meat, as a kind of chutney-type-accompaniment.

These threads don't have to stay on subject, it's a discussion, and so digression is acceptable, yes? I hope you all agree.

Here's a read on the different types of jelly (just for fun). Right down to beach shoes ha!

Now to start the day, 10 degrees here in Kent, soon have our first frost no doubt. Have a great day when you all wake up. Toodle pip!

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/jelly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone who makes preserves (cooking is much more interesting than my day job) here are the differences:

Marmalade: originally from Portugal and made with quince, it is now made with citrus fruit, traditionally orange but can also be lemon, lime or grapefruit or a mix (possibly pomelo would also work but ntr tried it) and usually includes shredded peel which can be cut thin, thick or in between. There is a variant in the UK of ginger marmalade containing shredded ginger. Orange marmalade is usually and best made using bitter Seville oranges from Spain, lots of pips and very bitter, for cooking only and not eating. It has a short season of January and February.

Jam: Similar to marmalade but uses fruit other than citrus, and includes pieces of the fruit.

Jelly: Starts out the same as jam, but after cooking the fruit the juice is drained off and the pulp removed before adding sugar to the juice and boiling for a set.

Fruit butter: Similar to a jam but contains the whole fruit pureed, and is cooked for longer at a more moderate heat. Has a firmer set then jam.

Fruit cheese: Similar to a fruit butter but has an even firmer set than fruit butters.

Fruit curd: Made wiith the addition of eggs and butter, and has a short shelf life (unless bought commercially when it has lots of additives to extend its life).

Preserves: Generic name for all of the above, and is a way of preserving fruit for use beyond the end of their season.

Should have added that chutneys are savoury and made using vinegar and sugar with the fruit cooked down, pickles are made using vinegar with less or no sugar and the fruit or vegetables are either uncooked or only lightly cooked, or pickles can be fermented in brine (eg sour or half sour gherkins, saurkraut, kimchi, etc.)

Now it's meat etymology 101. LOL

It isn't bad enough to discuss the differences in cheese now it's meat.. HaHaHa.

In the States during the rationing days of World War 2 the Government put meat on the rationing system and described the meats by name, like Chopped beef, beef roasts etc... To bypass some of these rules butchers started coming up with different names to avoid the problem. Delmonico steak, NY Strip, Porter house, top round, bottom round, prime rib, rib eye and more and more to today the supermarket ads need a dictionary.

And my last thought on the topic is the difference between what is jelly and what is jam.. (U.K. vs U.S.)

According to the hit song in 1944 (the definitive word on this subject) the Words are, " IT MUST BE JELLY CAUSE JAM DON`T SHAKE LIKE THAT."

Great fun on this thread..

Have a good night all.

When I was litttle, I thought that jelly came from the jellyfish. Glad that I was wrong.

I can't say I paid attention to whether there was cheddar cheese or not on the Escape last week but I was delighted to find some Brie on the buffet :D.

Brie? You cool dude you!

And thanks to the post before on how jams etc. are made. We'll soon have the W.I. on here Sharing Jam & Jerusalem (but that's another movie - Calendar Girls!).

If anyone reads this thread and can send cheesy pics from your cruise ship, would be fab!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greetings All!

I also like the jam, jelly,stuff lesson but I must digress back to Cheddar Cheese! Today I saw an ad for French Onion Soup topped with Vermont Cheddar Cheese! Be still my heart. I hope this does not upset the purest French Onion Soup makers but I for sure will be topping mine with a very Sharpe aged Vermont Cheddar this winter.

And yes, let's start taking whatever cheese offerings we can on you next cruise and post here.

And speaking of butter... some have a very special love for Maple Butter!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app