Cheddar on Norwegian?

GetMeOnThatShip

Grommit! We've forgotten the crackers!

I can't believe this cheesy thread is still alive!

The thread may be still alive but the world will miss good old Wallace. R.I.P. to him and Norman Clegg, my favorite retired lino salesman..

bosco

Not yet been there - maybe there is hope for us all though - do they do proper Stilton, Parmesan, Gorgonzola, Roquefort, Reblechon - the list could go on...?

(You might just have guessed that I am a beer and cheese geek - some things just have to be right).

Being from Wisconsin and being a huge cheese geek myself, I can say without a doubt yes! I adore strong flavored cheeses and here in Wisconsin I can get some of the best without breaking the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here I sit watching American Football played in London! What's better is I looked up a UK recipe of Cheese and Rice and what do I find??? An advertisement for VT based Cabot Cheddar! Now how does my Sunday get better than that? Maybe NCL will put Cheese and Rice on the menu with VT Cheddar, Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog and John Cleese as guest in the comedy club!

Latkes should be shaped like a rugby ball and eaten as a side with salt beef (corned beef for our cousins across the pond). First time we were in Katz and ordered latkes we got these flat pancake things with sour cream and apple sauce (!?!)

So for us corned beef is Argentinian from Fray Bentos and comes in a can, great in sandwiches with Branston pickle,whilst salt beef is pickled and boiled brisket (though last time I got great results from a fourteen day pickle and then sous vide).

Our potato crisps are your potato chips. Our potato chips are your french fries. Our starter is an entree (entry) but yours is an appetiser and entree is the main course (never understood that one). Our jam is your jelly, our jelly is a dessert and goes into a trifle, and what is that strange thing having peanut butter with jelly? However, cream cheese and marmite or cream cheese with Branston pickle is wonderful and highly recommended. Rocket is arugula, courgettes are zucchini, aubergines are eggplants, whilst we grill and you broil, and when we are in the USA having a whole bottle of wine between two plus cocktails before gets us looks as though we should be on the AA twelve step programme.

To redress the food balance, and all those posts asking whether lobster is on the MDR menu, or whether orange cheddar is available, MSC Magnifica sailing out of Southampton offers the following:

A British Twist on all UK departures

• Tea, Coffee & Kettles in cabins
  • British & Irish Beer and Cider Available on Draft
  • Roast Dinner served in the buffet
  • Tea and Scones alongside pies and pasties available in the afternoon
  • Curry Corner in the buffet
  • Sauces and condiments available including HP Sauce, Colman's Mustard and Marmite
  • A British Cruise Director and British late night comedian
  • Premier League and International rugby games available in the sports bar
  • British TV channels in cabins
  • British Newspapers available to view on board

,whilst salt beef is pickled and boiled brisket (though last time I got great results from a fourteen day pickle and then sous vide).

Great post. Do one extra step with your "Salt Beef". After 2 weeks in the brine give it good coating of ground pepper, mustard seed and coriander seed then smoke it at about 250 F ( 120.C) for about 6 hours. Best Pastrami in the world..

bosco

I was addressing our American friends, but . I see you are in New Zealand and adhere to the true chip. I too hate skinny french fries. Proper "fat" chips are healthier as the skinny ones have a greater surface area relative to the inside, therefore more surface exposed to the oil.

Can't guarantee the maths, but according to my calculations (and I'm sure somebody will correct me if I've got them wrong) for a french fry of 3mm x 3mm x 60mm long the ratio of the interior volume to the surface area is 0.73 (i.e. the surface area is greater relative to the volume), whilst for a proper chip of 10mm x 10mm x 60mm long the ratio between the internal volume and surface area is 2.31. Therefore with a properly cooked chip, soaked to remove starch then double or triple fried and frozen between as per Harold McGee and Heston Blumenthal, there is a much tastier combination of both crispy and crunchy exterior with soft and fluffy inside. A french fry lacks the necessary amount of soft and fluffy inside to give a satisfying contrast, and furthermore because of the greater relative surface area, holds too much vinegar, tomato ketchup and mayonnaise, which overpower rather than enhance the experience.

I was addressing our American friends, but . I see you are in New Zealand and adhere to the true chip.

But I was born in the UK and my mother used to work in a chippie so I know what a real chip is and also what a real piece of cod tastes like as the fish. I also know what real mushy peas are!!!!!!

Fish and chips as a combined meal was invented in the UK, so its bound to taste best here!. The first fish and chip shop was opened in London by Joseph Malin around 1860 and in Mossley (North of England) by a Mr. Lees in 1863.

Did your mother's chippie do the frying in lard or oil?

Great post. Do one extra step with your "Salt Beef". After 2 weeks in the brine give it good coating of ground pepper, mustard seed and coriander seed then smoke it at about 250 F ( 120.C) for about 6 hours. Best Pastrami in the world..

bosco

We could divert this thread (again) into a home made biltong thread (quite easy to do and very tasty) - but I shall refrain.

In the spirit of the OP and keeping this cheesy thread going..... Since many people like their cheese on stuff, what would happen if you put Orange Cheddar on a good batch of Fish and Chips? Or maybe we need an activity on the ship in proper fish n Chips or biltong making?

Could the orange cheddar be found on the Escape! Just so our NCL friends know, I don't care for orange but the OP was looking for it. NCL may keep a loyal customer. For me, I will wait to review my cheese escapades upon my return from the Getaway in January. Now to find out what Bovril is!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Bovril, now that takes me back to my teenage years when after swimming at the local public pool we would get a cup of Bovril from the hot drinks machine.

Back to cheese, a proper Buck Rarebit for lunch using a decent cheddar topped with mustard, or cauliflower cheese/macaroni cheese as a side or supper with the sauce made using a mix of Emmental, Gruyere and Parmesan plus added Dijon mustard and nutmeg.

Any chance of finding grilled kippers on board? I recall having them for breakfast on the Queen Mary 2. Manx or Craster kippers ideally, none of these boil in the bag fillets!

Boscobeans, maybe I will try the pastrami. I dry salt then cold smoke my salmon for anywhere between 8 and 24 hours, and do a great long and low smoked shoulder of lamb based on a Yotam Ottolenghi recipe for shwarma, and as we don't use bacon I smoke breast of lamb, dice and freeze it, and use it for recipes calling for pancetta. I had a go at smoking herrings to make kippers but it's difficult to find decent sized fresh herrings at the local fishmonger, most are too small to be worthwhile.

Bovril, now that takes me back to my teenage years when after swimming at the local public pool we would get a cup of Bovril from the hot drinks machine.

Boscobeans, maybe I will try the pastrami. I dry salt then cold smoke my salmon for anywhere between 8 and 24 hours,

I am in my 70's and when I was younger Bovril was very popular in the States. It was in the category of a good solid bouillon on cold days or as a restorative during everything from a cold to poor appetites. I remember getting a teaming cup many a time and loved it.

I do salmon with just the salt cure. We call it lox and it is the main ingredient of the good old American Bagel, cream cheese and lox breakfast. Never do much of any smoking other than beef, pork, chicken and various sausages. I remember eating smoked eels a lot as a kid and will look around for some and give them a try and also do some lamb.

One of my favorites even to this day is a few skewers of lamb marinated overnight in a little brine then grilled with bay leaves wrapped around each piece and charred. Talk about foods to enjoy over a few good pints..

Should start a favorite foods of CRUISERS sticky.. LOL

Keep smoking......and cruising, life is too short not to try as much as you can fit in...

bosco

Right here goes.

You need some proper biscuits (English not US) for cheese, a slice of Lincolnshire Poacher, a spoonful of good chutney or pickle. I personally like to wash it down with a nice cider because I don't like Bitter.

There are an amazing amount of really good British cheeses from crumbly Cheshire to a really sharp Cheddar. I'm particularly partial to Lincolnshire Poacher Double Barrel or a really good Stilton.

Good shout on the Melton Mowbray Pork Pies whoever said that. Oh and Reblochon.

My experience of cheese on NCL isn't great. Once served very large almost tasteless chunks of Brie at one of the latitudes cocktail events.