Cheddar on Norwegian?

GetMeOnThatShip

Greetings All!

I also like the jam, jelly,stuff lesson but I must digress back to Cheddar Cheese! Today I saw an ad for French Onion Soup topped with Vermont Cheddar Cheese! Be still my heart. I hope this does not upset the purest French Onion Soup makers but I for sure will be topping mine with a very Sharpe aged Vermont Cheddar this winter.

And yes, let's start taking whatever cheese offerings we can on you next cruise and post here.

And speaking of butter... some have a very special love for Maple Butter!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

[emoji175] Look forward to tasting any cheese onboard now!

Maple Butter....will google in the morning, but for now from U.K. I'll bid you night night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also like the jam, jelly,stuff lesson but I must digress back to Cheddar Cheese! Today I saw an ad for French Onion Soup topped with Vermont Cheddar Cheese! Be still my heart. I hope this does not upset the purest French Onion Soup makers but I for sure will be topping mine with a very Sharpe aged Vermont Cheddar this winter.

I guess we all have our twists on the traditional receipes! However, I'll stick with the classic Swiss gruyere and/or emmenthal. As semi-hard cheeses they have a lower melting point than a hard cheddar and go nicely stringy in the hot soup.

[emoji175] Look forward to tasting any cheese onboard now!

Maple Butter....will google in the morning, but for now from U.K. I'll bid you night night!

It's fairly hard to find, but pumpkin maple butter is delightful. There is a brand called Stonewall Kitchen from near where used to live in Maine.

Not yet been there - maybe there is hope for us all though - do they do proper Stilton, Parmesan, Gorgonzola, Roquefort, Reblechon - the list could go on...?

(You might just have guessed that I am a beer and cheese geek - some things just have to be right).

We buy Reblochon in our local SuperU supermarket each week. We also receive decent price promotions and bonus points on our Loyalty Card. And then we retire to the garden to eat in the evening sun, watching the lizards run for home at the end of the day, whilst sipping a chilled Ecusson Pear Cider ...

It's a really tough life - but we survive its little travails ...

[emoji23] love it Marcie!

Pumpkin maple butter, forgive me, I'm learning. What do you use it for, just a spread on bread or something else? Sorry, Pommy illiterate here [emoji51]

Hi Costa,

Mrs Marchie is the cheese expert - I used to have what was like an allergy to it - unless cheese was soft or melted, I would be physically ill! But, I am improving my ability to eat without problem so am learning the different types/flavours/uses as I go ...

Reblochon we use on bread - it 's like a Brie but with a richer and creamier texture; we also add it to home-made soup (leek & potato or celery or courgette soup - Mrs Marchie - 'Fire cheese into any soup'!) and it also makes a great toasted sandwich with onion or ham or mushroom (or any combination - depends on the state of the food cupboard!).

We are lucky to have super neighbours in France who grow vast amounts of veggies in their very large gardens - when crops reach peak levels, we get cucumbers, courgettes, tomatoes, potatoes in regular 'freebies' - especially the courgettes so soup making is the best way to stay ahead of deliveries (unless you fancy courgette with your cornflakes ...). :D

The photo shows the rear garden - it's about 12 feet above the house groundfloor and catches the best of the evening sun. The path is where the lizards congregate to absorb the warmth before heading home - when they depart, we know it's time for us to do likewise! The 'garden' is what greeted us after leaving it for just under 3 months to return to Scotland - it was left all pruned and weeded - honest!

493770999_DSC_1765.JPG.da48232fff0cc9f8c15c87758ba2c4f3.JPG

PUMPKIN?? AAARGH!

Somewhere along in the genetic evolution of mankind, IN THE U.S. AT LEAST, a specific flavor craving gene was triggered and a large percent of the population now desires pumpkin everything.

Nothing like a pumpkin spiced chicken breast on a pumpkin flavored roll slathered with pumpkin butter and a pint of PUMPKIN SPICED BEER to wash it down.. UGH.. LOL

Just get a large jar with a shaker top and fill it with

18 parts ground cinnamon.

4 parts ground nutmeg.

4 parts ground ginger.

3 parts ground cloves.

3 parts ground allspice.

and you can pumpkin spice your way to flavor paradise.

I love a well baked and seasonal pumpkin pie but the thought of pumpkin spiced beer or ale is just too hard for me to swallow..

Maybe a pumpkin spiced Cheddar or Stilton???

bosco

We are lucky to have super neighbours in France who grow vast amounts of veggies in their very large gardens - when crops reach peak levels, we get cucumbers, courgettes, tomatoes, potatoes in regular 'freebies' - especially the courgettes so soup making is the best way to stay ahead of deliveries (unless you fancy courgette with your cornflakes ...). :D

The photo shows the rear garden - it's about 12 feet above the house groundfloor and catches the best of the evening sun. The path is where the lizards congregate to absorb the warmth before heading home - when they depart, we know it's time for us to do likewise! The 'garden' is what greeted us after leaving it for just under 3 months to return to Scotland - it was left all pruned and weeded - honest!

Marchie1053 I'm very jealous, We've had some great self catering holidays in various parts of France, and always enjoy the trips to the local deli and market to stock up on fresh and cooked ingredients. Even the Hypermarches are so much better for choice than our local big Asda, Tesco or Sainsbury..

Which part of France are you in?

Marchie1053 I'm very jealous, We've had some great self catering holidays in various parts of France, and always enjoy the trips to the local deli and market to stock up on fresh and cooked ingredients. Even the Hypermarches are so much better for choice than our local big Asda, Tesco or Sainsbury..

Which part of France are you in?

Hi Paul,

We are in inland Vendee (almost due east of La Rochelle - where CMV Columbus was yesterday - just to maintain a cruise element! - about 60 miles as the crow flies). We are also 50 miles south east of Nantes so handy for river cruises and about 90 miles from the Loire Valley for chateaux visits and camping breaks.:D

A cautionary word about 'the Dream' of living between 2 countries - we are frequently 'between 2 countries' and you often find yourself needing/wanting to be in one when you are in the other (see the overgrown garden!/health needs/season changes etc). You can also become detached from both social communities because you are never there when things like Xmas Lunches are arranged. It's something I never considered before we bought the house!

Have to agree with Bosco.. enough with the pumpkin craze! Not sure why anyone would put anything into a fine maple butter! Although I will not share this with DW as she might!

Hey.. maybe orange cheddar is really pumpkin cheddar!

i will try and find Reblochon in the US for the next batch of potato leek soup.

Marchie will look out for Roblochon as I love Brie. Hey, you're in the best place for cheese! Red cheddar would be a swear word lol!

Paul S, whereabouts in U.K. are you? You can get some very unusual cheeses in Waitrose or even M & S Foodhall.

Pumpkin we associate with this time of year, used to do Halloween for the kids but don't "celebrate" now, it's a made up thing.

We used to be hard pushed to even touch the scraped pumpkin out of its hard skin, it's tasteless unless adding vast amounts of stuff to it! [emoji13]

Give me an apple any day Barb.

PUMPKIN?? AAARGH!

Somewhere along in the genetic evolution of mankind, IN THE U.S. AT LEAST, a specific flavor craving gene was triggered and a large percent of the population now desires pumpkin everything.

Maybe a pumpkin spiced Cheddar or Stilton???

bosco

Apparently, gouda.

https://beemstercheese.us/blog/beemster-pumpkin-spice-gouda

We are in inland Vendee (almost due east of La Rochelle - where CMV Columbus was yesterday - just to maintain a cruise element! - about 60 miles as the crow flies). We are also 50 miles south east of Nantes so handy for river cruises and about 90 miles from the Loire Valley for chateaux visits and camping break.

Many years back when the children were young we drove down for a two week stay outside Royan and visited La Rochelle, and also drove down to Toulouse - my Round Table was twinned with Toulouse Round Table. More recently, two years running we stayed in Dinan, and last year drove down to Blois for a French/English reunion of Renault Wind owners.

We've given serious consideration to buying a holiday home in Western/Southwest France, but have come to the conclusion we would feel obligated to visit it, restricting our travels elsewhere, so have tentative plans for after retirement to visit a few places abroad, renting for three months or so at a time.

Paul S, whereabouts in U.K. are you? You can get some very unusual cheeses in Waitrose or even M & S Foodhall.

CostaFortune, We are in Southgate, North London. We have a Simply Food M & S a couple of minutes walk away, but even the larger stores don't have a cheese and deli counter, only pre-wrapped on the shelves. Waitrose is better, and the one at John Lewis in Oxford Street is good, but I still prefer Carrefour. We used to drive over ro France for the day a few times a year with the back seats down in our Previa, and stock up at Carrefour with cheese, coffee, chocolate, wine and spirits, kitchen utensils and the like. One year we came back with a large quantity of San Pellegrino water, which got us some strange looks, but it was half the price compared to here.

Where are you? We were in Rochester this year over the late May bank holiday for the 2017 weekend reunion of the French and English Renault Wind owners, and drove in a convoy of around 25 Winds through the High Weald, with visits to Penshurst Place and Sissinghurst..

Marchie will look out for Roblochon as I love Brie. Hey, you're in the best place for cheese! Red cheddar would be a swear word lol!

Pumpkin we associate with this time of year, used to do Halloween for the kids but don't "celebrate" now, it's a made up thing.

We used to be hard pushed to even touch the scraped pumpkin out of its hard skin, it's tasteless unless adding vast amounts of stuff to it! [emoji13]

Give me an apple any day Barb.

CostaFortune - Waitrose have a decent reblechon. Very nice with a gewurtztraminer wine IMHO. Also great as a tartiflette (if a bit expensive to melt over potatoes!).

Boscobeans, how about a pumpkin latte? You can often find these here November onward in Starbucks and the like.

What is it with these weird flavours for coffee? We visited US recently and sister-in-law had hazelnut-flavoured coffee in the filter machine - Blerch!!!!

Coffee should be coffee-flavoured.

Well there are always different choices including regular coffee.

I like flavored as well as not flavored. Hazelnut or French Vanilla.

There is no right or wrong . Just different types. :)

I am surprised. Giant in DC is a parent company of our Stop & Shop, and selection of cheeses there is unbelievable, from all over the world. French, Swiss, Dutch, Danish, Spanish, English, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Mexican and so on.

https://www.instacart.com/stop-shop/a46069-specialty-cheeses

And I don't see a half of our store selections.

Just an example from http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/blog/12-cheeses-you-cant-live-without-bonus-theyre-sale (nationwide chain)

Edited by Tatka

One cheese we will not find in the US is Roblochon. Seems our inspectors do not like it. http://www.cheesemaking.com/reblochon.html

It is all fondue for me because cheddar must be better!

Is there a cheese and beer pairing event on any cruise line?