Seasick vs. food poisoning?

racegirl35

I would also say seasickness. You are describing the same symptoms I encountered on an overnighter from Amsterdam to Newcastle. Once you feel sick, it takes a couple of hours before the tablets work. In my case, I took something after I threw up and felt better after sleeping. Woke up hungry. Also got sick a good 15 mins after eating. Took tablets coming back, before leaving and I was fine.

I have never cruised without taking meclizine, except for the Caribbean. Laying down if you feel bad usually helps, just like you experienced. Once you got you sea legs, you were good to go! The sea bands may have helped too. And I do not know if you were dizzy, but if yes, that may explain a few things too (maybe inner ear off balance)

Happy cruising

Cindy

If it had been food poisoning you would have been throwing up for a good 24 hrs at least plus have the runs too. It sounds more like motion sickness to me and the tablets don't always work if you are feeling sick already, you need to take them before feeling ill.[/quote]

100% agree. Why get sick in the first place. For ever one of my 8 cruises I always took Bonine the day before I stepped on the ship and for a few days after. It always worked for me. I was not going to ruin my cruise with sea sickness.

I am struck by the fact that you all limited yourselves to the OP’s hunch. In the spirit of “Don’t tell your doctor what you think you have” and prejudice his search, nobody has entertained the possibility that there might have been another underlying condition.

Just sayin’

I am struck by the fact that you all limited yourselves to the OP’s hunch. In the spirit of “Don’t tell your doctor what you think you have” and prejudice his search, nobody has entertained the possibility that there might have been another underlying condition.

Just sayin’

That's certainly possible. But since this happened a few months ago and hasn't reoccurred, there really isn't anything a doctor would test at this point in terms of an underlying condition. If it comes back on during OPs next cruise it's a reasonable conclusion that it's sea sickness. If it comes back on outside of that I'm sure a doctor would want to check for underlying conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My money would be on motion sickness. I think the fact that you tried breakfast the next morning and even got ready for dinner the next night would rule out food poisoning in my mind, as any time I have had food poisoning eating more food was the last thing on my mind!

The key thing that OP says is that it started 15 minutes after eating. If it was food poisoning or NORO, it was not from the food consumed at that meal, the incubation time from either is much longer than that.

Capt BJ: A little off topic but my son is currently a 4C at the USCGA. Just went to parents weekend. Great place for him to be. thanks for your service.

sea sickness is reaction to vertigo caused by over stimulation of the balance 'circuits' of the inner ear.

how much is OVER is something that varies from person to person and even in one person can change over time. It can also vary by the type of motion. I can say from experience that I have one tolerance level for rolling (ship goes side to side), and another for pitching (bow goes up and down)

I know of two ways to overcome

- drugs ..... these tend to dull the balance receptors of the ear. These affect people differently and should be taken with caution (I recommend a dry run at home b4 your cruise ... see how they affect YOU) They must be taken B4 vertigo/sea sickness sets in. When I was a USCG Cutter Captain we told those who needed the drugs to start taking them 48 hours b4 we got underway.

- distraction - the mind is an amazing thing and if you can stop the mind from focusing on the motion screwing with your balance you CAN give your system time to adjust. When I was young in the USCG the answer was WORK ... as a cadet I found asking to go up in the rigging of EAGLE was a sure cure. Being too busy hanging on for dear life was a sure cure for sea sickness. This can also be accomplished with a placebo (ginger, sour apple or other misdirection), acupressure (sea bands) or a variety of other methods which I am NOT diss'ing ... some work for some and not for others.

Once you've been hit, sometimes an emptying of the stomach helps but there is a flip side ... while in the 'toss it stage' an empty stomach is worse ...... hence the 'eat some crackers' suggestions often received ....

For MOST, sleeping gives the body time to adjust to the motion (stimulation of the ear parts) and they 'get over it' .... 8 hours of sleep and most could wake and function ... but not always.

A few we just kept drugged until we could get them to the only 100% solution ... LAND ... and their medical record was marked, not qualified for sea duty.

Edited by cheeseclan

Hmmmm....food poisoning is a bacterial infection/problem; once you ingest these very toxic bacteria, no matter what the amount is, there is a toxic reaction. The suffering less concept is suspect because of the toxic effect of those bacteria.

Can you tell me what research the 'myth' is based on; it seems anecdotal? Also, never have heard/read this before.

The body can deal with 50 toxic bacteria more easily than it can deal with 50 billion. It's a common theme with all poisons - eat less, don't be so ill. And of course the other side of it applies with bacteria, viruses, whatever - not everyone is affected the same way. You can catch a cold from someone at the office, he had a cough and a sniffle, you're laid up for 3 days.

The myth isn't based on research, it's based on various posters on page 1 saying that food poisoning always and always means diarrhoea, two days in bed, desperate illness, etc etc. It isn't true, you can get food poisoning that makes you sick and you recover quickly.

Capt BJ: A little off topic but my son is currently a 4C at the USCGA. Just went to parents weekend. Great place for him to be.

obviously I found my Academy experience to be a 'good' one .... having retired after 29+ years

I wish him luck and hope you will encourage him to the 10th degree ... I may be patting myself on the back but it is not an easy road .... but can be a lifelong career.

Hint - the first year is HARD and 'packages from home' always are well received .... as is CASH that can be spent in town on pizza or ice cream.

Former Commanding Officer of USCGC VALIANT (Miami Beach) and USCGC MUNRO (Alameda CA) sends.

(p.s. retired at 51 with a good pension .......)

Capt BJ: A little off topic but my son is currently a 4C at the USCGA. Just went to parents weekend. Great place for him to be.

obviously I found my Academy experience to be a 'good' one .... having retired after 29+ years

I wish him luck and hope you will encourage him to the 10th degree ... I may be patting myself on the back but it is not an easy road .... but can be a lifelong career.

Hint - the first year is HARD and 'packages from home' always are well received .... as is CASH that can be spent in town on pizza or ice cream.

Former Commanding Officer of USCGC VALIANT (Miami Beach) and USCGC MUNRO (Alameda CA) sends.

(p.s. retired at 51 with a good pension .......)

Yes we did send him lots during SWAB summer. We give him gift cards now so he can buy what he wants when he wants. We also try to go back and see him when we can. Parents weekend was a blast. He is settling in but of course it is hard with the 20 credit hours and military obligation and laundry etc. but he is doing well.. He is so thrilled to be at the USCGA since it was what he always wanted to do. Once again, thanks for your service. PS. Do you ever go back for reunions?

AH yes ... the credit load is fun still.

As I recall my class held the record for lowest average GPA at the end of the first year ... when the Academy had shuffled the standard first 2 year schedule and put the 4 hardest classes in the second semester ..... I almost flunked out but by end of year 2 was dean's list ..... 24 hours was the average load (altho they did count 1/2 hour for 'haircut'!!)

Reunion: I went to my 20th ... but unlike many of my classmates it was not my first time back .. far from it. The Academy (or the FARM as I like to call it ... Ensign Farm) is also where all prospective executive and commanding officers go the PXO/PCO school. I'd been back many times .....

You saw him at Parents weekend .... COOL. Is he coming home for his first leave at Thanksgiving? Would be for Christmas for sure ... be prepared for some 'differences' ....... perhaps some personality shifts. If he did not b4, he WILL most likely call everyone sir/mam ... on either side of any sentence.

He has a LONG way to go ..... I wish him luck

Story ......

I remember my cadet cruises

enhance

This is me at the top of the main on EAGLE circa 1975 .... unlike most of my classmates I LOVED sailing on EAGLE. I managed to sail on EAGLE every cadet year while most of my classmates fought to avoid. I guess they never watched Captain Blood or Master and Commander!

But another memory from cadet cruises ......

the Captains were SO OLD ..... in 2001 I had Cadets on my 378 .... MUNRO ..... DAMN

enhance

THAT was a reality check!!!!

yes, same pair of RayBan's btw ...... good sungasses should last a long time

Edited by Capt_BJ

AH yes ... the credit load is fun still.

As I recall my class held the record for lowest average GPA at the end of the first year ... when the Academy had shuffled the standard first 2 year schedule and put the 4 hardest classes in the second semester ..... I almost flunked out but by end of year 2 was dean's list ..... 24 hours was the average load (altho they did count 1/2 hour for 'haircut'!!)

Reunion: I went to my 20th ... but unlike many of my classmates it was not my first time back .. far from it. The Academy (or the FARM as I like to call it ... Ensign Farm) is also where all prospective executive and commanding officers go the PXO/PCO school. I'd been back many times .....

You saw him at Parents weekend .... COOL. Is he coming home for his first leave at Thanksgiving? Would be for Christmas for sure ... be prepared for some 'differences' ....... perhaps some personality shifts. If he did not b4, he WILL most likely call everyone sir/mam ... on either side of any sentence.

He has a LONG way to go ..... I wish him luck

Story ......

I remember my cadet cruises

enhance

This is me at the top of the main on EAGLE circa 1975 .... unlike most of my classmates I LOVED sailing on EAGLE. I managed to sail on EAGLE every cadet year while most of my classmates fought to avoid. I guess they never watched Captain Blood or Master and Commander!

But another memory from cadet cruises ......

the Captains were SO OLD ..... in 2001 I had Cadets on my 378 .... MUNRO ..... DAMN

enhance

THAT was a reality check!!!!

yes, same pair of RayBan's btw ...... good sungasses should last a long time

Awesome pics and info. I just read some of what you wrote to my cadet. He was very impressed. If you would like to keep talking, which i would be thrilled to do, can you email me at cheeseman3@comcast.net

Thanks