Remove TA from booking?

I read on another thread that it is possible to remove a travel agent from your booking so that you then "own" the booking, Has anyone any experience with this? My great TA died and no one at that agency will help me in a timely manner, so I need to take charge of my bookings.

I read on another thread that it is possible to remove a travel agent from your booking so that you then "own" the booking, Has anyone any experience with this? My great TA died and no one at that agency will help me in a timely manner, so I need to take charge of my bookings.

The agency has to agree to the switch. Call them and ask.

In your particular case due to a death...you should certainly have no problems. When you call the agency ask to speak to a manager...and make sure they send you an email confirmation that they've released your booking.

At this point, I can't even get them to answer the phone. I want to cancel 3 cruises with them, but if I can't get them to answer, I have no way to do so. They refused to release a cruise right after the death occurred, so no way they will now. Don't I lose my deposit if I don't cancel before final payment? I mean, I can't just not pay and let the cruises cancel?

At this point, I can't even get them to answer the phone. I want to cancel 3 cruises with them, but if I can't get them to answer, I have no way to do so. They refused to release a cruise right after the death occurred, so no way they will now. Don't I lose my deposit if I don't cancel before final payment? I mean, I can't just not pay and let the cruises cancel?

Call C&A and explain the situation, they should be able to help.

If the T.A. works for an agency I am not so sure a death means anything as it is possible the agency that owns the booking and not a specific agent. If they are not giving you the service you deserve let RCI know. Hopefully, they will step in to help you.

Just one more issue to put on my list of why I book directly with RCI.

UK experience and this might differ from elsewhere ...

It was a nightmare and amounted to convincing TA to release booking. Without this RCI were not prepared to do anything. I am not convinced that in this situation C&A are able to help.

If the T.A. works for an agency I am not so sure a death means anything as it is possible the agency that owns the booking and not a specific agent. If they are not giving you the service you deserve let RCI know. Hopefully, they will step in to help you.

Just one more issue to put on my list of why I book directly with RCI.

But when it truly comes down to it, YOU own your own booking. RCCL cannot force you to use this travel agent. But, rather than struggle with cancellations, etc. the KIND thing for both entities to do would be to work together and allow you to TRANSFER those bookings. Start by calling RCCL. Escalate to a customer service supervisor if you need to. Then request that they initiate a three-way call with your agency. Hopefully, that will get things transferred over.

I know what agency you're talking about and since the death of the agent, service has gone downhill. It wasn't great before, but the perks were good. Now getting an e-mail response or an answer to a phone call is next to impossible. We won't be using them again. They'd been our TA for almost 15 years.

Actually, the death was not just an agent but the owner of the agency. I'm just hoping I can get my next cruises with them paid off in time and get away from them ASAP for all other cruises. I have used them for about 12 years and my service was always great.

But when it truly comes down to it, YOU own your own booking. RCCL cannot force you to use this travel agent. But, rather than struggle with cancellations, etc. the KIND thing for both entities to do would be to work together and allow you to TRANSFER those bookings. Start by calling RCCL. Escalate to a customer service supervisor if you need to. Then request that they initiate a three-way call with your agency. Hopefully, that will get things transferred over.

Are you speaking from a legal point of view? I do not know what the laws are regarding booking through an agent. RCI does not force anyone to use this, or any other, agent. It is the consumers choice to use an agent. RCI cannot dissolve a contract the you enter into with a third party. If one doesn't want to risk having issues like the OP has then book directly with the cruise line.

I can't speak from personal experience when it comes to a booking directly with the agent, but I did do an on-board next cruise (specific date) and told them I didn't want the agent to get the booking I was told I had to fill out a form and then they would contact the agent to 'request' them to release it. I was appalled at that. WHY tell an agent you don't want them to have it as it only causes friction? I asked what if the agent won't release it. I was told by RCI that it was only a formality as I am the customer. I would imagine in the OP case, RCI would allow you to get it back, if you demand it, but needless to say any and all perks and discounts would be lost.

Do let us know the results.

Erika

If you book through an agency/agent - they OWN the booking, the only real way to get it back is to have the agency sign off on the transfer form. Your best best is to get the transfer form, fill it out for them and then fax and email over asking them to return it ASAP. Other than that, get a C & A supervisor might help, but it's certainly not guaranteed.

I can't speak from personal experience when it comes to a booking directly with the agent, but I did do an on-board next cruise (specific date) and told them I didn't want the agent to get the booking I was told I had to fill out a form and then they would contact the agent to 'request' them to release it. I was appalled at that. WHY tell an agent you don't want them to have it as it only causes friction? I asked what if the agent won't release it. I was told by RCI that it was only a formality as I am the customer. I would imagine in the OP case, RCI would allow you to get it back, if you demand it, but needless to say any and all perks and discounts would be lost.

Do let us know the results.

Erika

I think that someone did not know what they were talking about. As I understand it, when you book next cruise while on board they will give the booking to the agent you have previously booked with unless you tell them not to. If you specify not to, the booking should not go to the agent and then have to be released. You will be listed as the owner.

Are you speaking from a legal point of view? I do not know what the laws are regarding booking through an agent. RCI does not force anyone to use this, or any other, agent. It is the consumers choice to use an agent. RCI cannot dissolve a contract the you enter into with a third party. If one doesn't want to risk having issues like the OP has then book directly with the cruise line.

Actually, you're correct. I don't know what I was thinking when I typed this. (Just had surgery. Blaming pain pills. lol) If a TA does the work for you, you can't just take that work elsewhere. However, you DO have the right to book with someone else if you cancel those reservations. Have you checked the pricing on these cruises if you were to book them today with another TA or with the cruise line direct? If they have not gone up, you have the right to cancel with the TA and book them through another source.

Actually, you're correct. I don't know what I was thinking when I typed this. (Just had surgery. Blaming pain pills. lol) If a TA does the work for you, you can't just take that work elsewhere. However, you DO have the right to book with someone else if you cancel those reservations. Have you checked the pricing on these cruises if you were to book them today with another TA or with the cruise line direct? If they have not gone up, you have the right to cancel with the TA and book them through another source.

And, hopefully, one did not use an agency that charges cancellation fees. Though the OP did mention that now he can't even get them to answer the phone so I don't know how he would cancel the reservation.

I think that someone did not know what they were talking about. As I understand it, when you book next cruise while on board they will give the booking to the agent you have previously booked with unless you tell them not to. If you specify not to, the booking should not go to the agent and then have to be released. You will be listed as the owner.

You are correct. If you booked your current cruise with a TA, and then book another cruise on-board, the original TA will be the owner UNLESS YOU SIGN A FORM STATING YOU DO NOT WANT THEM TO BE THE OWNER. The Next Cruise Sales Agent has the form and you must sign it.

Do you have any friends who are lawyers?

Hate to go this route, but a letter from an attorney might get more of a response if the nice way does not work.

Getting a lawyer involved (friend or not) is blowing this out of proportion.....:eek:

Finally got a call from TA. I think agent is new and didn't know how to proceed. All taken care of now. I still will cancel three cruises with this agency. Previous owner would be so upset with this treatment.

Great to hear that you got your TA issue resolved. Best of luck in finding a new TA.