Alaskan Cruises

lakemurraykid

We have only sailed Princess in Alaska once and it was on the Ruby. However, I was wondering about the other ships. We definitely want to go to Skagway and either Hubbard glacier or Glacier Bay. We went to Tracy Arm on our last Princess cruise and it wasn't worth it to us. I was also wondering about the Princess ships that go our of San Francisco...have these ships been through dry dock, etc. What would be your recommendations?

Research research research. There are many different ways to see Alaska from a cruise ship. First decide what you want to do and see, which you seem to have done. Then go to the sites of the different cruise lines and look at their itineraries and costs. Then decide which one fits your needs and which ships go there. Then start asking questions about the ones you think you might enjoy. You will soon see the one that will be the best for you and yours. Very few cruise lines are allowed in G lacier National Park but it is well worth the time to go there. Princess is one of those lines.

If you do the one way cruises - one route goes to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier and another route does Glacier Bay and College Fiords (2 glacier days).

The only reason to go out of SFO is because you live near there. You get more time in Alaska with the one way routes. Also longer port times, 2 glaciers, etc...

Tracy Arm is actually amazing in an small boat trip out of Juneau. The Northbound routes allow for this. Think 3 glacier days on Northbound routes!!

I personally would not go out of SFO, they are more expensive and don't provide any more time in Alaska.

Thank you to those who responded already. We have been to Glacier Bay and Hubbard before. I love the idea of the cruise tours, but it does make the airfare terribly expensive so that's why we were looking at primarily a seven-day cruise. What I was more interested in with my original question, what are the differences between the different ships that cruise in Alaska...Star, Ruby, Coral, Island, etc. Does anyone have a favorite and why?

You initial question appeared to indicate that itinerary was your first priority, then choice of ship.

But to answer the ship question, it is near-unanimous on this board that Coral Princess is the best ship sailing Alaska. Fewer passengers than all the others, the nicest showroom in the fleet (Universe Lounge), the Horizon Court at the front of the ship make for great viewing. Though Star Princess is a very close second for me, even with 600 additional passengers: Skywalker's niteclub, higher capacity for Anytime Dining (three MDRs rather than two) plus simply the atmosphere of one of the original Grand-class ships can't be beat.

But getting back to the itinerary: if you were less than 100% pleased with the round-trip Seattle itinerary don't even think about the round-trip San Francisco which just adds extra sea time at the beginning and end. In sunless and colder weather than in Alaskan waters.

We have been on the Golden and Crown in Alaska; sisters to the Star. We love both ships; Skywalkers offers wonderful viewing and privacy during other times of the day. I have read nice things about the Coral; we will be on her in January for the PC. She is smaller and is the favorite ship of many.

We were fortunate to make it to the end of Tracy Arm on the Crown and see Sawyer Glacier and it was beautiful.

Thank you to those who responded already. We have been to Glacier Bay and Hubbard before. I love the idea of the cruise tours, but it does make the airfare terribly expensive so that's why we were looking at primarily a seven-day cruise. What I was more interested in with my original question, what are the differences between the different ships that cruise in Alaska...Star, Ruby, Coral, Island, etc. Does anyone have a favorite and why?

Alaska is our favorite itinerary and have sailed up there nearly a dozen times .. and, we aren't anywhere near done yet. Too bad you were disappointed with Tracy Arm as I think it is beautiful. Last year, we were scheduled for Tracy Arm but were treated with being rerouted to Endicot Fjord. Wow!! Earlier this year, we revisited Hubbard Glacier and it beat all, though ... very spectacular day.

I live near San Francisco so usually sail on the Grand Princess, but she sure wouldn't be my first choice if it weren't for the fact that she is home ported in my backyard. She is really showing her age, not just in maintenance but in design. The crew / staff are amazing on her, though. But, as others have said, it is a couple of days added to sailing and not spending that time in Alaska. We love our sea days, so that is actually preferable but if you want to limit your trip to 7 nights, that trip is not offered.

As far as the other ships that sail up to Alaska, an indoor pool area is essential for me so that leaves out the Ruby. I liked the Island when we sailed on her but others have commented that they ruined her when they added cabins to the aft of the ship making the whole experience just more crowded ... so wouldn't recommend that ship, either. I love the Coral but she only does a one way itinerary. The Emerald is the only one that I see that does a roundtrip from Seattle ... so that would cut down on airfare expenses, but there again, no indoor pool. The Star is a bit newer and does have an indoor pool and sails roundtrip from Vancouver. However, I would check to see how many ships are in port at the time she sails as if there are multiple ships embarking/disembarking at Canada Place at one time, it seems to be total chaos.

Since I am Going to Alaska for the First time in June 2018 I was really interested in your post. Although a mute point I love hearing what others are saying. A mute point because we are booked on the Grand. Being from the bay area it was the logical ship. plus it had 2 extra sea days (we love that), is going under the Golden Gate bridge (on my bucket list), and has the indoor pool. I hope they have freshened her up a little but was glad to hear how good the staff was. We were on the crown this last March and she is the identical ship to the Grand. I liked the design and the fact that I already know how to navigate the ship. Hope you all find the right ship for you and have a great trip.

Since I am Going to Alaska for the First time in June 2018 I was really interested in your post. Although a mute point I love hearing what others are saying. A mute point because we are booked on the Grand. Being from the bay area it was the logical ship. plus it had 2 extra sea days (we love that), is going under the Golden Gate bridge (on my bucket list), and has the indoor pool. I hope they have freshened her up a little but was glad to hear how good the staff was. We were on the crown this last March and she is the identical ship to the Grand. I liked the design and the fact that I already know how to navigate the ship. Hope you all find the right ship for you and have a great trip.

Yags,

You will really enjoy the trip on the Grand. The DW and I just finished a trip to Alaska on the Grand (9/25) and we had a wonderful time. We even got up early on the last day to experience going under the Golden Gate Bridge - quite the experience. Since a couple of our shore excursions were canceled due to weather (fog in the morning), we have already made reservations to go back up to Alaska on the Grand on the 6/25/18 sailing. Which sailing in June are you on?

Bob

Yags,

You will really enjoy the trip on the Grand. The DW and I just finished a trip to Alaska on the Grand (9/25) and we had a wonderful time. We even got up early on the last day to experience going under the Golden Gate Bridge - quite the experience. Since a couple of our shore excursions were canceled due to weather (fog in the morning), we have already made reservations to go back up to Alaska on the Grand on the 6/25/18 sailing. Which sailing in June are you on?

Bob

OMG! We will be on the same ship! How awesome is that! We will be on Caribe deck Stateroom C-333. Question. How early did you have to get up to see the Golden Gate on the way in?

OMG! We will be on the same ship! How awesome is that! We will be on Caribe deck Stateroom C-333. Question. How early did you have to get up to see the Golden Gate on the way in?

We went under the bridge at 5:25 am. We stayed up and watched as the Bay Bridge came into view with all the fancy lights - it was also beautiful and then we went back to bed for an hour or so. :)

It should be a great trip next year. I just started a roll call thread so you should check in.

Take care,

Bob

We were on the crown this last March and she is the identical ship to the Grand. I liked the design and the fact that I already know how to navigate the ship. Hope you all find the right ship for you and have a great trip.

The Grand and the Crown are not actually identical. Since the Grand is the oldest of all the Grand class ships and certainly older than all those in the Crown class.

There are similarities but the differences are:

-the Crown doesn't have an indoor pool

- the Crown has Adagios, the Grand has the One5 club

- closets are smaller on the Grand

- the Crown has an extra deck, the Riviera deck

- there is no usable center staircase on the Grand if going up past the 6th or 7th deck

- there is no indoor pool on the Crown

- Sabatini's in on deck 16 on the Crown, on deck 7 on the Grand

- Crown Grill is in a different location on deck 7 on either ship

- Club Fusion (Crown) vs the Vista Lounge (Grand) on deck 7

- the Grand has window suites on the Fiesta deck; the Crown doesn't have this cabin category

- the Crown has the Caribe Cafe whereas the Grand does not

- I believe the Crown still has Skywalkers; it has been removed from the Grand

- the Grand has Alfredos whereas the Crown does not

- the Grand has a little seating area outside just aft of the Horizon Court

- might be some others that aren't coming to mind right off hand

They will have a similar feel but you may notice some rather big differences when you sail on the Grand.

The Grand and the Crown are not actually identical. Since the Grand is the oldest of all the Grand class ships and certainly older than all those in the Crown class.

There are similarities but the differences are:

-the Crown doesn't have an indoor pool

- the Crown has Adagios, the Grand has the One5 club

- closets are smaller on the Grand

- the Crown has an extra deck, the Riviera deck

- there is no usable center staircase on the Grand if going up past the 6th or 7th deck

- there is no indoor pool on the Crown

- Sabatini's in on deck 16 on the Crown, on deck 7 on the Grand

- Crown Grill is in a different location on deck 7 on either ship

- Club Fusion (Crown) vs the Vista Lounge (Grand) on deck 7

- the Grand has window suites on the Fiesta deck; the Crown doesn't have this cabin category

- the Crown has the Caribe Cafe whereas the Grand does not

- I believe the Crown still has Skywalkers; it has been removed from the Grand

- the Grand has Alfredos whereas the Crown does not

- the Grand has a little seating area outside just aft of the Horizon Court

- might be some others that aren't coming to mind right off hand

They will have a similar feel but you may notice some rather big differences when you sail on the Grand.

I stand corrected. I was under the impression that the Grand, Crown, and one other ship were all built at the same time and basically identical. Thanks for the info but as long as I am sailing It really does not matter. Appreciate it.

We went under the bridge at 5:25 am. We stayed up and watched as the Bay Bridge came into view with all the fancy lights - it was also beautiful and then we went back to bed for an hour or so. :)

It should be a great trip next year. I just started a roll call thread so you should check in.

Take care,

Bob

5:25 is not to bad. I am an early riser so it might be fun to see. I did join the Roll Call. You and me so far.

Be talking,

Jake

We have only sailed Princess in Alaska once and it was on the Ruby. However, I was wondering about the other ships. We definitely want to go to Skagway and either Hubbard glacier or Glacier Bay. We went to Tracy Arm on our last Princess cruise and it wasn't worth it to us. I was also wondering about the Princess ships that go our of San Francisco...have these ships been through dry dock, etc. What would be your recommendations?

Welcome to Alaska. The two cruise lines with the longest history in Alaska are HAL and Princess. Both have made considerable investments up here in the way of excursion transportation (buses and dome railroad coaches) and hotel chains (Westmark Hotels for HAL and 5 wilderness lodges for Princess). Both lines now operate under the Holland America Group of Carnival Corp which includes the combined land holdings of both. Both have grandfather rights from the NPS into Glacier Bay, meaning they have more ships visiting there than others do. We only cruise on Princess, HAL and Regent so I can't attest to the quality of service and type of cruise others offer except I've lived in Alaska all my life and being involved in the airplane game throughout my professional career have quite a familiarity with all these enterprises.

Most major cruise lines offer excellent cruises to Alaska though, NCL also being one of the largest players, although none have the land based holdings that the HAG has.

About 65% of cruisers to Alaska only do the Southeast (Panhandle) portion of the State. Assuming you are on a typical 7 day (round robin) cruise you probably won't be crossing the Gulf of Alaska and traveling further north to South Central Alaska or going on into the interior on a land tour, but most likely doing a cruise of Southeast Alaska, originating and ending in either Vancouver or Seattle. Almost all of these cruises do the "Alaska Inside Passage".

My favorite glacier calving viewing on the cruise line haunts is not Glacier Bay but Hubbard Glacier, north of the Panhandle and directly east of Yakutat.

My personal preference for these round robins is to get on a cruise that voyages through the "Canadian Inside Passage" as well as the "Alaska Inside Passage". Meaning, they travel to the east of Vancouver Island as opposed to the west of the island, west of the island places the vessel out into the North Pacific where scenic voyaging is limited to non-existent, rougher water there too, sometimes. Vancouver is the best originating port for this and it appears to me that HAL has the most departures from there, if crossing the gulf HAL uses Seward for their ANC port, while Princess uses Whittier.

Beware when the line or your agent simply says you are going to be in the "Inside Passage". We have taken only one cruise to Alaska, which was on Regent, a two weeker, originating in San Francisco and ending in Vancouver, around the end of May and first of June. Hot weather even, 72 F, for Alaska that is. We sailed as far north as Valdez in Prince William Sound and hit every obligatory port in Southeast. Excellent cruise; the only downer was, both north and south, we skipped the Canadian Inside Passage and traveled to the west of Vancouver Island. Some Canadians on board weren't very happy in that they had been led to believe they would be cruising on the east side of Vancouver island.

I've cruised the Canadian Inside Passage a number of times. But it was so long ago I can't remember much, except for the scenic wonders of it all. You see, when I was a kid the only way to get to the "States" was via Alaska Steamship Company who also carried a lot of seasonal visitors back and back and forth. They quit carrying passengers in 1954 though.