Storm in Huatulco

angelbearmom

a sudden strong storm with high winds hit this morning while the NA was docked in Huatulco. The front mooring lines came loose from the pier & the ship swung out. It was still held on by other lines. I was on shore when it hit & found shelter in a cantina on the shore. They brought people table cloths to dry off with. I was concerned because my mom was on a fishing boat. But they came back & were safe. HALwas great. They put us up in a hotel while they figured things out. Everyone made sure all 1200 on shore & 800 on board knew what was going on. They're having divers checking the hull so we'll be late out of port. That's our day

Glad you're safe. Wonder if Huatulco was hit by Tehuantepec Winds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehuantepecer

Last February, when we were on a Panama Canal cruise sailing between Puerto Chiapas, Mexico and Huatulco, we were hit with those winds. It was quite a rough night.

Aren’t they called “papagayos”?

Or am I thinking of another regional wind in Mexico?

Papagayos seem to be associated with Costa Rica.

Tehuantepec Winds are definitely Mexican. We ran thru them on our way to Cabo after our Panama Canal transit.

Next update from Captain albert is out of Huatulco. He is on the Nieuw Amsterdam at present. Let's see if he has any comments about it.
I'd like to read his blog. Where can I find it?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The Tehuantecpec Winds that Turtles is referencing are also known as a Tehuantepecer or the Tehuano Winds. All I know about papagayos is that it is one name for a parrot. I have no idea if that bad weather had anything to do with the Tehuantepec winds or not. I have heard of squally weather being called a "chubasco" in that part of the world.

...........It caught the ship full on the portside and as were docked portside alongside it started to push the ship away from the dock, very fast. There was no way the mooring lines could hold against this impact wind and the bowlines broke free. And thus the bow drifted over to the shallow side of the basin and for a short time touched the seabed. All emergency crews, including yours truly, went to battle stations to contain the situation which was done very well. Kudo’s to all involved. Once the wind and the rain had passed and the tide came back in we moved the ship back to the dock............

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/excluderecent/10-october-2017-huatalco-de-santa-cruz-mexico/