Would you book the cruise before a dry dock?

Tennant

Would you book the cruise before a dry dock? We are considering the 1/2 Reflection and she goes into dry dock 1/9-1/19. I know sometimes they start certain things early and/or don't keep certain things as clean (or so I've read on CC). Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you book the cruise before a dry dock? We are considering the 1/2 Reflection and she goes into dry dock 1/9-1/19. I know sometimes they start certain things early and/or don't keep certain things as clean (or so I've read on CC). Thoughts?

We have been on a cruise prior to drydock and had no issues whatsoever. I would not hesitate to book again.

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L05 using Tapatalk

Good that you asked the question.... If experience is any predictor of the future, you will find areas closed and work being done around the ship in preparation for the dry dock. We would not book a cruise immediately before or after dry dock (when they are finishing the stuff they should have finished while they were in dry dock).

We would not book a cruise immediately before or after dry dock (when they are finishing the stuff they should have finished while they were in dry dock).

Yes, wasn’t it Connie that wasn’t ready last time after the scheduled drydock date?

We sailed the Reflection in February. It was immaculate. I would check reviews of the Reflection to see what other cruisers posted. You should get a more up-to-date idea of the state of the ship, but I haven't heard of any major problems.

I was always told don't book the first cruise AFTER a dry dock, because things tend to be a little disorganized. I hope you have a fantastic time. We love the Reflection.

Anyone know what they are doing? If it's just engine stuff then I wouldn't be as worried. If it's a lot of interior stuff then I might be more worried.

Thanks so much for all the responses!

We booked on cruise post dry dock and fond that there were many contractors on the ship still working on areas. I have allergies to dust..and I had a lot of trouble breathing doing the post dry dock. Our stateroom steward told us that every day he would vacuum/dust the staterooms and they would be full of dust...the stateroom bathrooms were renovated during that dry dock.

I imagine pre dry dock would be somewhat similar. One the cruise we did...even the Captain got sick during the cruise. Learned to stay away from pre/post dry dock cruises.

Good that you asked the question.... If experience is any predictor of the future, you will find areas closed and work being done around the ship in preparation for the dry dock. We would not book a cruise immediately before or after dry dock (when they are finishing the stuff they should have finished while they were in dry dock).

I agree. I also would not book right before a scheduled charter. When you are on your cruise, they are getting areas ready for the charter. No way.

We booked this trip over a year ago knowing she was heading into Dry dock at the completion of the cruise. A ten day Dry dock will mean lots of updates to furniture, bedding etc..that has to wait until the ship is empty from our cruise. I am sure some Azipod inspections/Maintenance that must be done in Dry dock will be done...No worries that the ship will be disrupted to affect our trip..

Having sailed both immediately before and immediately after drydocks I would not hesitate to do so again, provided that the price was better than a similar sailing on an alternative date or ship.

I knew full well (thanks to the wonderful members of cruisecritic) that I would be onboard a pre or post drydock sailing and as such set my expectations to allow for some venue closures, minor service/staffing issues, construction dust, etc

We booked the Solstice pre dry dock cruise from Sydney to Singapore and quite frankly we never experienced any significant disruption at all. Whenever anyone goes on a cruise there is a limited amount of disruption due to on going routine maintenance. This was no different. We were also on the post dry dock cruise on the Constellation which started two days late. Breaking down in Barcelona and staying in a 4 star hotel and being flown to Monaco to watch the Grand Prix and back at the cruise lines expense and getting near as damn it half the cruise fare back as compensation for a loss of two days. I'll take that risk anyday.

We did a post dry dock cruise on Summit several years ago. It was like sailing on a new ship. Blu was new to Summit, and it was wonderful. There were no closed venues and everything was new and shiny...it even smelled like a new ship.

I was on the Millie a couple years ago immediately after dry and only remember them cleaning decks and a few balconies...no major inconvenience at all.

Now before dry dock is a different situation. Since the Reflection is in such great shape anyway, it may not be an issue; however, I would prefer after the fact with other ships that are not as new and well kept!

Good Luck and let us all here on CC know your impression...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Solstice on the cruise into dry dock last year. I don't recall any work starting on the cruise and it seemed to be cleaned beautifully all the time. The only issues, and they were very minor, where that they ran out of either English Breakfast or Earl Grey tea at Cafe al Bacio and there were a couple of wine choices that they had also run out of, so I think they were running stocks down a little.

I have been on Celebrity ships pre-dry dock. The ship runs exactly as it would if there was no dry dock planned. They do not run out of stock because of dry dock, nor do they neglect cleaning. I have been on non pre/post dry dock cruises where they ran out of stock. Happens all the time and has absolutely nothing to do with dry dock. I wouldn't hesitate to book a cruise with Celebrity because of a dry dock. You will have a great time regardless! Enjoy!!! :)