Jury still out on Oprah

EDLOS

Sorry, but I would NEVER book a cruise just because someone else was going to be on it UNLESS they were paying for me to go!

Just not my thing.....

I would if it was Colin Firth!! :hearteyes: <3

It was ! On the Oosterdam last month, 1/3 of the gift shop was Oprah themed, including signage everywhere.

I was looking for reading glasses and have always found an interesting pair to buy on past cruises.

This time, only Oprah ones.

There was also self-help type lecture from someone who was pilfering a book Oprah was sponsoring.

Exercise class- stretch or yoga, was a "mindfulness class with meditation.

I found it nauseating, personally.

(bold is mine) Not sure what was pilfered. The O stuff is supposed to be sanctioned/organized by the O machine. Any use of published materials should have been done with permission.

On Amsterdam last month, there were some official O talks. One was about healthy eating, which I believe the CD did. (Probably read/droned from a script as he did for every other announcement.) There were healthy cooking demos in ATK, which may have been O. Another O presentation was "love that!" or whatever they call the one where they tell you what stuff to buy. Don't remember who did that one. It may have been a pre-recorded spiel that was played back. And we had the morning stretch and meditate thing. (Sorry my info is vague, I didn't go to any of this stuff)

Didn't see O merchandise in the shops.

Dismantle the ship libraries. Alter the Crows Nest. No music and dancing in the Ocean Bar. Give us Oprah instead. Thank you Orlando Ashford. The highly paid bean counter who took his first cruise in 2016.

You omitted “destroy the Promenade Deck on new builds”.

I do a Mindfulness practice every day, been doing it for about a year now. While I wouldn't book any cruise just because of a Mindfulness offering, if it were there on the ship, I would participate. It is nice to be able to practice with a group once in awhile.

I don't begrudge HAL for offering "O" activities. No one is forced into them.

I do a Mindfulness practice every day, been doing it for about a year now. While I wouldn't book any cruise just because of a Mindfulness offering, if it were there on the ship, I would participate. It is nice to be able to practice with a group once in awhile.

I don't begrudge HAL for offering "O" activities. No one is forced into them.

I agree with you. I wasn't forced to stay out of the shops though did so.

Hoping Holland America has enough pax who would shop and purchase products with their new O venture. Just not my thing.

I agree with you. I wasn't forced to stay out of the shops though did so.

Hoping Holland America has enough pax who would shop and purchase products with their new O venture. Just not my thing.

I don't think I would "cut off my nose to spite my face" ;) I would still walk through the shops, I'd just not stop at the "O" stuff, just like I never stop at that cruise line logo'd stuff displays on any ship.

Curious though - If HAL asked CCers here who (or what) would they like to see HAL partner with where they would book a cruise if any of their activities were being offered? Remember - I'm asking for a name or enterprise - saying "I don't want any" is not an option. HAL will continue to partner up to try to gain market; putting on blinders isn't going to work. Might as well see what people would put up with!

I don't think I would "cut off my nose to spite my face" ;) I would still walk through the shops, I'd just not stop at the "O" stuff, just like I never stop at that cruise line logo'd stuff displays on any ship.

Curious though - If HAL asked CCers here who (or what) would they like to see HAL partner with where they would book a cruise if any of their activities were being offered? Remember - I'm asking for a name or enterprise - saying "I don't want any" is not an option. HAL will continue to partner up to try to gain market; putting on blinders isn't going to work. Might as well see what people would put up with!

Normally, if a new Marketing effort is a success, competitors will follow and quickly copy. I don't see any other cruise lines jumping on the HAL "celebrity" bandwagon. ???? Remember the "Edsel car".... Whoops, really showing my age !!

Well know one thought this!!!!!!

She is now selling her O soups

On a commercial I saw!! Maybe HAL will serve it in The Pinnacle. I can not believe HAL thinks this will work! Just my opinion. In a past post saw Colin Firth they would sail LOL!

I would rather see him than her BFF Gal. Guess I want a true cruise relaxing and no gimmicks. Like I said this is just

Me. I love HAL without all the bells and whistles!

Denise:)

Curious though - If HAL asked CCers here who (or what) would they like to see HAL partner with where they would book a cruise if any of their activities were being offered?

My vote would be to see HAL partner with some specific entity that provides quality lectures and enrichment activities -- like a National Geographic or Smithsonian-type speakers bureau that would provide 2-3 high-quality experts for every cruise of at least a week. (I realize the groups I name have ongoing travel ventures, but there are other, perhaps slightly lesser known entities too -- maybe even a specific university or group of universities....)

I would book a cruise (and have) just to hear a specific historian and lecturer -- John Julius Norwich. He was the featured lecturer (1 of 3!) on my 12-day Voyages to Antiquity cruise last year and was definitely a factor in my deciding to book. Probably one of the best known historians and authors regarding Mediterranean history today -- and a magnificant lecturer.

I've also booked a land tour just to have the opportunity to be part of a group led by a Yale University professor on Roman architecture (Diana Kleiner). She teaches a Yale online course (available through Coursera) and is a wonderfully personable and entertaining lecturer.

This is the type of thing that HAL could offer that, IMO, would fit with their overall image.

My vote would be to see HAL partner with some specific entity that provides quality lectures and enrichment activities --

I would book a cruise (and have) just to hear a specific historian and lecturer --.

👍🏻 I'd enjoy this. I'd lean toward premodern history as it would be unlikely to have political viewpoint sprinkled in. And a sample video of lecturers should be checked to make sure they present material in an accessible way.

My vote would be to see HAL partner with some specific entity that provides quality lectures and enrichment activities -- like a National Geographic or Smithsonian-type speakers bureau that would provide 2-3 high-quality experts for every cruise of at least a week. (I realize the groups I name have ongoing travel ventures, but there are other, perhaps slightly lesser known entities too -- maybe even a specific university or group of universities....)

I would book a cruise (and have) just to hear a specific historian and lecturer -- John Julius Norwich. He was the featured lecturer (1 of 3!) on my 12-day Voyages to Antiquity cruise last year and was definitely a factor in my deciding to book. Probably one of the best known historians and authors regarding Mediterranean history today -- and a magnificant lecturer.

I've also booked a land tour just to have the opportunity to be part of a group led by a Yale University professor on Roman architecture (Diana Kleiner). She teaches a Yale online course (available through Coursera) and is a wonderfully personable and entertaining lecturer.

This is the type of thing that HAL could offer that, IMO, would fit with their overall image.

Thank you cruisemom! I knew you'd come up with more than snark ;)

Do you think this would translate well from your small-ship VTA onto larger mass-market ships? People select VTA because of it's reputation of quality lectures in a small setting, not because of the food or entertainment or the cabins or the loyalty perks. It would be an interesting experiment and I'd certainly go for it. I know HAL offers some form of enrichment on the longer cruises. Wonder what research was done that determined people on shorter cruises would not enjoy/comprehend intellectually-stimulating discourse?

I'm envious of your next land adventure! Is it just in Italy, or is it going farther afield? I would love to have another trip to Israel and Jordan that concentrated on the Roman Ruins there!

Edited by slidergirl

I'd love to see more than one partnership opportunity .... There are many people in to the whole "mindfulness " thing without the Oprah tag, but there ought to be other things on offer relating to travel, geography, history etc ... I thought the BBC Earth thing was going to go further than it did, and I'd love to see something like TED talks on a ship. Or even links with Lonely Planet maybe ???

It's nice to dream ...;)

I'd love to see more than one partnership opportunity .... There are many people in to the whole "mindfulness " thing without the Oprah tag, but there ought to be other things on offer relating to travel, geography, history etc ... I thought the BBC Earth thing was going to go further than it did, and I'd love to see something like TED talks on a ship. Or even links with Lonely Planet maybe ???

It's nice to dream ...;)

I picked Mindfulness just because it was mentioned as an "O" activity and I would do that one just because it was offered.

I'd love TED or TEDx talks (going to one this week)! Lonely Planet might be a little "lowbrow" for the HAL set - it may still be seen as that travel book that the hippy and young 20-something and "Europe at $40/day" set uses ;)

I picked Mindfulness just because it was mentioned as an "O" activity and I would do that one just because it was offered.

I'd love TED or TEDx talks (going to one this week)! Lonely Planet might be a little "lowbrow" for the HAL set - it may still be seen as that travel book that the hippy and young 20-something and "Europe at $40/day" set uses ;)

Are you sure your not confusing lonely planet and rough guides ? I grew out of rough guides pretty quickly but lonely planet magazine is a great source of information ...they aren't the largest travel publisher in the world for nothing.

Does Oprah really have any interest in hAL aside from how much money she can garb? How many millions are enough, billions?he is now pushing low calories O So Good prepared foods. Does her greed know no end I will not allow her noneense to disturb any cruise I am oe and will avoid her interrupt.ion on any ship she and /or her 'people' are doing a money grab How much is enough for one woman or man for that matter? She is enough reason I would hesitate about HAL bookings. To uninentionally land on a ship wth her,,,,,,,,,, NOooooooo.... !!!!

I would love to see some quality lecturers on HAL. Port talks that are about the port (history, flora and fauna, etc) and not shopping, would be a start.

I was expecting more from the AFAR partnerships. Have any long time cruisers seen any improvements in shipboard, shore side, or in depth port information since AFAR was implemented?

AFAR Partnerships ?????.......Is that the Shore Excursion personnel on board giving me the " in depth enrichment lecture" on our next port stop. 10 HAL cruises in last 4 years and never heard the term AFAR?????

I subscribed to AFAR travel magazine 10 years ago. Had some great write ups at first but my interest with them became boring😔 I subscribe to so many and I thought when HAL took them in I got very dissapointed. They are a new magazine in comparison to Travel and Leisure and Travel magazines. I believe HAL wanted you to use their website and read about the ports through AFAR and book excursions. This was the new thinking of Ashford and at that time maybe 2 years ago they wanted to change HAL format in every way! I will never forget this big news that was coming out!!! Watched it live on the internet. They changed the great logo on all the HAL ships and so many other things then. Sorry got off the subject! So AFAR is a travel magazine!

I subscribed to AFAR travel magazine 10 years ago. Had some great write ups at first but my interest with them became boring😔 I subscribe to so many and I thought when HAL took them in I got very dissapointed. They are a new magazine in comparison to Travel and Leisure and Travel magazines. I believe HAL wanted you to use their website and read about the ports through AFAR and book excursions. This was the new thinking of Ashford and at that time maybe 2 years ago they wanted to change HAL format in every way! I will never forget this big news that was coming out!!! Watched it live on the internet. They changed the great logo on all the HAL ships and so many other things then. Sorry got off the subject! So AFAR is a travel magazine!

I remember that webcast. What a shambles!

AFAR does "port planners" that you can download. You get to them through the Exc tab. I think AFAR also can help you find "your" tour. When the partnership was new, the port planners I checked had less information than you could find in a Fodors from your local library. And the help in finding tours asked questions about what you like (museums vs adventure, etc) and then told you what you wanted to do. It reminded me of websites that ask a bunch of questions and then tell you which character from Pride & Prejudice or Game of Thrones you are.

And AFAR has given HAL a travel award. It all seems a bit incestuous when companies that do business together give each other awards.

Instead of resorting to gimmicks we think that HAL should simply get down to basics and focus on their core business.

Spend more time/moneyon maintaining those old ships and less time trying to come up with the next daytime television personality gimmick.

Really, why on earth would I book a cruise to see or hear Oprah when I could turn on the television?

You have to ask yourself......has it really come down to this?

Instead of resorting to gimmicks we think that HAL should simply get down to basics and focus on their core business.

Spend more time/moneyon maintaining those old ships and less time trying to come up with the next daytime television personality gimmick.

Really, why on earth would I book a cruise to see or hear Oprah when I could turn on the television?

You have to ask yourself......has it really come down to this?

I'm not sure I want to ask myself that! :)

Good point.