I don't flaunt my C&A Status

We have to admit that we do 'flaunt' our C&A status from time to time. When we meet cruisers in the MDR that are new to RCI, we suggest that they join the C&A society and start tracking points. We tell them about our perks and hope that they will be inspired to keep cruising with RCI.

When we did a B2B on the Radiance of the Seas circumnavigating Australia, we had 'made' Diamond on a previous cruise and did not fully realize our new perks. The Diamond concierge, Jay Jay Shim, gave us a telephone call and invited us to join her in her lounge as her newest "diamond babies".

We don't want new RCI cruisers to be unaware of the nifty perks that await them if they become regular RCI cruisers, so we 'flaunt' our status just a little to encourage them.

Like I keep saying the C/A should be only a points system for pricing on future cruises. Eliminate all the silly lines, sections, pins etc etc. All it does is create issues for everyone trying to feel important. If one cruises often it should be about money not all the other crap about seats and free drinks. Just saying.

Yeah, like you keep saying and no one else seems to be agreeing.;)

We have to admit that we do 'flaunt' our C&A status from time to time. When we meet cruisers in the MDR that are new to RCI, we suggest that they join the C&A society and start tracking points. We tell them about our perks and hope that they will be inspired to keep cruising with RCI.

When we did a B2B on the Radiance of the Seas circumnavigating Australia, we had 'made' Diamond on a previous cruise and did not fully realize our new perks. The Diamond concierge, Jay Jay Shim, gave us a telephone call and invited us to join her in her lounge as her newest "diamond babies".

We don't want new RCI cruisers to be unaware of the nifty perks that await them if they become regular RCI cruisers, so we 'flaunt' our status just a little to encourage them.

I can understand why you talk up RCI to folks and I have no problem with it. If I am asked specific questions I do that to. However, I don't see my role as a salesman for RCI nor is it my role to decide to explain the C&A program to someone who didn't ask. It is RCI's job to promote themselves and their loyalty benefits. I'm on the ship to enjoy the vacation that I paid for.

I can understand why you talk up RCI to folks and I have no problem with it. If I am asked specific questions I do that to. However, I don't see my role as a salesman for RCI nor is it my role to decide to explain the C&A program to someone who didn't ask. It is RCI's job to promote themselves and their loyalty benefits. I'm on the ship to enjoy the vacation that I paid for.

My approach also, just tell the truth when the topics come up. Why would I go out of my way to want more people sailing RCI, therefore raising my prices?

Agree and I believe most cruisers no matter their tier level status will agree. We have never been around anyone on a ship that has thought it was important enough to "flaunt their status" or the type of cabin they are staying in. When (not always) we go to the DL our conversations are centered around where the cruisers we're talking with are from.

Speaking of where there from, went to diamond lounge for a drink and snack a couple of years ago , place was packed the very pleasant diamond concierge asked some people if we could share there table and they were from same small suburb of Dallas as we live. But I do like talking to diamond and pinnacle about cruising and there favorites ports etc , status is not big for us have taken 60 plus cruises but on many lines and get drink package and book suites if there in the budget , so we do not go to lounges for the drinks

..But the problem comes up when on non oasis class ships when you travel in a suite (yup you pay for what you want), you get comments about the gold sea pass card, from time to time. Not all the time, but when getting your reserved seat in a show.

Or using saved seating in WJ ..Ya

I’d say for every status flaunter there are at least two 2 suffering from status envy.

I don’t flaunt my status, but if I’ve spent 5-10 times more than the average customer with that line over the course of my cruising life I don’t think it’s wrong to expect a little more deference from the crew and a little more respect for my cruising opinions - good or bad.

Experience matters as does demonstrated financial commitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My last cruise was my first cruise as a diamond member. I joked about it with a couple of close friends, but that was the extent of it. Reading this thread, I realize that I missed out on a lot of the perks as well. I had early seating, so I would stop in the DL to grab a drink before dinner, and to grab a bottle of water or can of soda to take back to my cabin. It was always really crowded, and I felt a little uncomfortable there. Not sure why. I'll try it again in March.

I would stop in the DL to grab a drink before dinner..........I felt a little uncomfortable there. Not sure why. I'll try it again in March.

We became Diamond a while ago and I STILL feel a little uncomfortable when we go into the Diamond Lounge. And like you, I have never figured out why.

Speaking of where there from, went to diamond lounge for a drink and snack a couple of years ago , place was packed the very pleasant diamond concierge asked some people if we could share there table and they were from same small suburb of Dallas as we live. But I do like talking to diamond and pinnacle about cruising and there favorites ports etc , status is not big for us have taken 60 plus cruises but on many lines and get drink package and book suites if there in the budget , so we do not go to lounges for the drinks

We prefer one of the lounges/bars over the DL to enjoy our drinks especially the Schooner bar. We can take or leave the snacks offered in the DL as we always eat early. Agree we have met some very interesting and cruise wise people in the DL.

We became Diamond a while ago and I STILL feel a little uncomfortable when we go into the Diamond Lounge. And like you, I have never figured out why.

Thanks. I'm glad to know I'm not alone. lol I wondered if it was an age thing. I'm 46, and felt that the median age in there was at least 60.

Thanks. I'm glad to know I'm not alone. lol I wondered if it was an age thing. I'm 46, and felt that the median age in there was at least 60.

You need ot add a lot of numbers to that age to be as old as we are. HaHa. We are AT LEAST 60 (wouldn’t mind seeing that number again).

We have talked to each other about that uncomfortable feeling and have never understood it...especially because we are both VERY outgoing people.

So, keep going into the lounges, grab a seat, and enjoy the heck out of the evening!!!!!

I am the same age as you. On oasis this week i went to the overflow lounge in blaze every night. Met quite a few cruizers in the d lounge.

I have to admit almost everyone was a little older than ourselves. But we talked to people and made some new friends. I feel a little intimidated(because of the age difference) but say what the heck and try to start a conversation. I say hello and see if they want to talk. Some just want to be left alone and that is fine. If that is the case i just go and talk to someone else.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

I am the same age as you. On oasis this week i went to the overflow lounge in blaze every night. Met quite a few cruizers in the d lounge.

I have to admit almost everyone was a little older than ourselves. But we talked to people and made some new friends. I feel a little intimidated(because of the age difference) but say what the heck and try to start a conversation. I say hello and see if they want to talk. Some just want to be left alone and that is fine. If that is the case i just go and talk to someone else.

I'll talk to you, but we only go to Blaze if we have ice show or comedy show around 8PM

I'm also very outgoing and will start conversations without issue. I had a bunch of very nice conversations in the D lounge. That's why it's "odd" that I just don't feel comfortable there. I'll probably spend a lot more time there on my March cruise. (I'm handling logistics for a group. Once everything is set, I'll be on my own as a solo cruiser.) Hopefully that'll get me over it.

Good point.