This is crazy

Drill2dk

Someones disaster, is not your playground. You should donate money, not check out the sites. If my house was destroyed, I would not want to have you over for dinner. I think the cruise industry has obligation to donate money and help rebuild.

Hey, great idea...why don't you postpone a future cruise and donate YOUR $$!!

The humanitarian effort is ongoing but the jobs and personal income from tourism are what gives the residents the cash they desperately need to rebuild and restart their lives.

So true. Agree with your post. They need the cruise ships to return as soon as possible for the reasons you stated.

Agree. Looking forward to all of our upcoming Caribbean cruises.

We are taking the kids during spring break, and unfortunately, the only one that would work for timing was a western carrib on allure. If there were any way to work it out to go to some of the islands that got hit, I would jump at the chance.

Im not saying you shouldn't, just want to see how people feel?

Actually you are saying THEY Shouldn't

So if YOU say the island is not ready now, When do you think it will be ready? Clearly the island of St Maarten would not allow the ship to come if they did not feel that they were in a position to deal with it.

Clearly the lack of any type of specifics in your posts says that you are just regurgitating the speculation and not following the facts. The simple truth is , it could be years before all the houses are rebuilt (maybe some never will be). So when , in your opinion (since that seems to be all that matters) do you think it would be ok?

Personally I think this may be a smart approach. (this is my speculation here) . I would think it smart of the island to test their capacity by starting with one or two ships at a time so they can access any challenges they may have.... As opposed to saying on January 15th we are going to start with 10 ships per week????

St Maarten is a lovely island, and I agree with others that the tourism dollars will help many people get back on their feet. I dont think you realize the impact that a cruise ship can make financially on an island.

Personally I think you should just cancel your cruise, you are already unhappy and I have ZERO doubt that you will be a problem on the ship, riling up everyone you can and simply looking for things to be unhappy about. So do everyone a favor, cancel your cruise and stay home.

Trust me, Royal would much rather go to labadee or coco cay or even a sea day as they keep so much more of the revenue that way. They are doing their best to provide an acceptable experience for their cruisers.

based on your unfounded specifics, I would also believe if they had turned it into a western you would probably be all riled up stating exactly the opposite " I paid for an eastern and Now I have to go to cozumel"

Let is go

Put on your big boy pants and let the cruise line and the islands work it out.

If you really felt that guilty you would not go on a cruise at all ( how selfish of you taking a vacation when people on islands are hurting) LOL

I just saw this posted on Facebook by one of the Puerto Rico groups I follow::

PuertoRicoDayTrips

7 hrs ·

Puerto Rico is working on getting back on its feet after Hurricane Maria and we need your help!

Puerto Rico needs tourism.

One of the best ways you can help Puerto Rico is to come back for a visit. Please consider making a trip to PR this winter and enjoy what PR has to offer.

We might not have every hotel or restaurant open, and there may still be some rubble or broken trees around, but we will still have plenty of great food, great fun, great people and culture, and great weather.

As the electricity is restored, more and more businesses are opening every day.

Already you can go to Guavate for your Lechon fix, go on boat snorkel trips, go horseback riding, ATV tours or even check out Bacardi for a tour. And the island still has so much natural beauty for you to explore.

We at PRDayTrips are dedicated to supporting PR and our local tourism businesses. We will be posting info on who has reopened. If you are (or know of) a local business that is open and ready for visitors, let us know and we will post the info.

Let's get PR's Tourism Industry going again!

Reading all responses, I think people are taking this wrong. After one month, you think that only way to help the islands of Puerto Rico and St martin is by going and playing in there disaster. I think RC L should give passengers the choice. Just like you all the choice to book these cruises still. RCL should give more time for them to rebuild. . In reality RCL would like passengers not to go ashore unless your on one of there tours. Otherwise they want u to drink and spend money on the ship. Shame on RCL Its too soon. One month. Get real

Why do you keep saying one month? :confused:

Irma hit St Marrten on Sept 6. The first voyage back is December 17. that is over 3 months.

Maria hit Puerto Rico on Sept 20. The first voyage back is November 30. that is over two months

I apologize that I have not gotten to the end if you have already answered this.

Phillipsburg yesterday (found on FB)

6ed8f13817f9423c77ccec033bc9f892.jpg

1d061a87e7221426a870e78cb715ac6c.jpg

34664f75631a91dfda829c093de9584c.jpg

Phillipsburg just after Irma (taken by friend on Adventure)

fb0c4c94100bea5245e90ad4f7f04c16.jpg

780f19495245cc73b0ffcd032e6c5da8.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa

Why do you keep saying one month? :confused:

Irma hit St Marrten on Sept 6. The first voyage back is December 17. that is over 3 months.

Maria hit Puerto Rico on Sept 20. The first voyage back is November 30. that is over two months

I apologize that I have not gotten to the end if you have already answered this.

Because she started this thread 10/22 and it was about one month when Royal made the announcement to schedule returns to these Islands.

She just doesn't "get" it.

Because she started this thread 10/22 and it was about one month when Royal made the announcement to schedule returns to these Islands.

She just doesn't "get" it.

Gotcha.

BTW, I just realized you are boarding Brilliance same day Laura is getting off from the TA. [emoji33]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Our first cruise to St Marrten was April 1996. Hurricane Louis hit in September 1995. 70% of Phillipsburg was decimated, no power for 3 months, 1.8 billion in damage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Luis#St._Martin

We did the obligatory bus tour, One Island, Two flags. Most of the narration was pointing out things that were no longer there due to the hurricane 7 months earlier.

They seem to be rebuilding much quicker this time. Maybe because of all the cruise business 20 years later. ;)

Yep us too. Our roof was just repaired this morning and we're one of the first in the neighborhood to have ours done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We're still fighting with our insurance company because of Mathew. Now it's worse because of Irma. Insurance company wants us to pay a second deductible because they were more than a year apart.

I went there more recently but that was on Carnival - I knew RCI hadn't gone in some time but didn't know it was that long ago.

Biker, who would probably rather go to Ocho Rios than Falmouth.

December 22, 2014 Legend of the Seas

Last stop on an ABC out of PE

I have a close friend living on St. Thomas. His condo is still without power BUT he says the people of the island have been rushing and working hard to get the island, port, and the downtown area ready for tourists. Their livelihoods depend on tourists coming to spend money and help the economy.

We were screwed by Royal Caribbean! Loyal RC cruisers 50 years old. Our 4th cruise (2 rooms) in 6 years. After trying big ships (Allure (2), Oasis) we thought we would try a smaller boat (Jewel) on December 30. We were 'told' everything was fine by RC so we paid for our deposit. But I thought RC would be fair. Our flights were just cancelled as Air Canada has cancelled ALL flights to San Juan. RC will not return $3200. I would be ok if we lost $1000 or $1500 but $3200? For no fault of our own. The situation in San Juan and some islands is bad but RC cannot be trusted. Unless they change how they are treating us very soon, that will be my last RC cruise. I will move to a competitor - which I would not think will be as nice a cruise but customer service matters ... and RC seem to have forgotten that.

For those who are blaming Royal about going back when an island has been damaged, why don't you go and spend your money there and help them out? Another idea is to find an organisation where volunteers can spend 4 or 5 hours helping rebuild the community. Help repairing homes, schools, painting, landscaping, etc. As for the kids seeing such things, it would be a good lesson that things can happen in life that aren't fair. Have them also do a little volunteering. They will learn a lot by helping others in need.

We were screwed by Royal Caribbean! Loyal RC cruisers 50 years old. Our 4th cruise (2 rooms) in 6 years. After trying big ships (Allure (2), Oasis) we thought we would try a smaller boat (Jewel) on December 30. We were 'told' everything was fine by RC so we paid for our deposit. But I thought RC would be fair. Our flights were just cancelled as Air Canada has cancelled ALL flights to San Juan. RC will not return $3200. I would be ok if we lost $1000 or $1500 but $3200? For no fault of our own. The situation in San Juan and some islands is bad but RC cannot be trusted. Unless they change how they are treating us very soon, that will be my last RC cruise. I will move to a competitor - which I would not think will be as nice a cruise but customer service matters ... and RC seem to have forgotten that.

Is it Royal's fault that Air Canada canceled your flights? Why should RCCL refund your money when the issue with your flights is "through no fault of their own?"

You booked and paid for your cruise after the final payment date (which means no refunds), and after the hurricanes. Even though AC canceled flights, there are still plenty of flights going to San Juan. I'm guessing you did not purchase trip insurance. Many policies would have covered this, and you would not be out the money. You're putting the blame in the wrong place.

So book another flight. Get to your cruise. If your AC flight was cancelled you would have gotten back your money. Get another flight on a different airline!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. There are plenty of other wonderful cruise lines to try. Go for it!

Hardly being fair to RCI. The argument should be with Air Canada, not Royal Caribbean. It is still possible to fly from YUL or YYZ to SJU. Just not as conveniently.

Due to the impact of Hurricane Maria on Luis Munoz Marin International Airport (SJU) in San Juan, Air Canada has suspended all flights to Puerto Rico until further notice.

If your travel is affected, Air Canada Vacations will contact you shortly. Rest assured that we are searching for alternate routes to San Juan for clients who booked Flight & Cruise packages.

-Air Canada

*For some reason CC won't let me quote okmokm.

Wow! You seem quite upset. It must be terrible when everything doesn't happen just the way you planned it. Life isn't fair sometimes is it?

But I don't get it. Why are you ranting about Royal? What if your son's girlfriend realizes that the baby will be born early and they have moved the wedding to an earlier date and your spouse insists that you need to be there for the wedding? No fault of yours! What if your car gets rammed by a drunk driver, you are hurt and now recovering, and you are advised not to go on a long flight so soon after your surgery? No fault of yours! What if a heavy snowstorm shuts down all airports in the southern tier of Ontario and northern tier of New York and New England? Not your fault that you can't get to the embarkation!

Do you really expect Royal or any business to take pity on you? I wouldn't expect it. You signed a contract, you committed your $$$$ to going on their ship. They agreed to let you onboard for x days. If, for whatever reason you don't get on board, that is your issue, not theirs.

You have cruised before. You have heard and read stories about people who had travel problems, etc. You presumably had an opportunity to buy cancel-for-any-reason insurance. But you apparently took a gamble, decided to self-insure. You lost. Get over it and get on with life. Or start looking for alternative means to get to your ship.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen