Nonrefundable clarification

iiramos

Hello all! My head is spinning from speaking with my travel agent....can someone please clarify what the nonrefundable booking options actually mean? The way she explained it, is after final payment if we make any changes or have to cruise at another time there is only a $100 pp penalty. That doesn't seem so bad, or am I misunderstanding? Would we lose the deposit on top of the $100 per person? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hello all! My head is spinning from speaking with my travel agent....can someone please clarify what the nonrefundable booking options actually mean? The way she explained it, is after final payment if we make any changes or have to cruise at another time there is only a $100 pp penalty. That doesn't seem so bad, or am I misunderstanding? Would we lose the deposit on top of the $100 per person? Thanks in advance!

If you change ship or sail date, you lose $100pp and the remaining deposit goes to the new cruise.

If you cancel, you lose $100pp and the remaining deposit is valid for another cruise for 1 year.

If you change ship or sail date, you lose $100pp and the remaining deposit goes to the new cruise.

If you cancel, you lose $100pp and the remaining deposit is valid for another cruise for 1 year.

Thank you! That's not so bad! Just saved $629 by moving to a nonrefundable! *Happy dance* Thank you for the clarification! [emoji4]

I just found this by trying to book something...

Non-refundable deposit: Non-refundable deposit booking (“NRDB”) cancelled prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit minus a $100 per person service fee (the “FCC”). FCC is non-transferable and expires after 12-months from issue date. $100 per person service fee applies to changes to NRDB ship or sail date.

I think after final payment you would loose deposit + depending on how far away your cruise is, so you then could loose most of the cost if it is near the cruise...??

Thanks for that clear explanation Bob.

We recently went through the explanation ritual from our TA...and they got it spot on too.

Just to be clear and as was mentioned in a previous post, this only applies BEFORE final payment. The rules after final payment stay the same.

After final, it doesn't matter what rate you booked. You lose the whole deposit.

After final, it doesn't matter what rate you booked. You lose the whole deposit.
So if I paid in full the entire cruise, after final payment I would lose only the deposit plus $100 pp, and the remainder would be credited?

So, if you know you're going to cancel and you have no plan yet to book a future cruise, it seems like you should wait until the day before final payment in order to get the longest future cruise certificate.

Also, does the one year to use the future sail certificate mean that you have to sail within one year or you have to rebook within one year?

So, for example, would the following work:

Cancel cruise on 2/1/18.

Use future cruise credit on 3/30/18 for sailing on 3/1/19?

So, if you know you're going to cancel and you have no plan yet to book a future cruise, it seems like you should wait until the day before final payment in order to get the longest future cruise certificate.

Also, does the one year to use the future sail certificate mean that you have to sail within one year or you have to rebook within one year?

So, for example, would the following work:

Cancel cruise on 2/1/18.

Use future cruise credit on 3/30/18 for sailing on 3/1/19?

The way I read the terms, it says you have to book within one year of the issue date of the future cruise certificate. It also says "thereafter the FCC will expire and become invalid". I don't know if this means you get one shot to use the FCC and lose that value if you try to change again.

Ok, many thanks -- that makes sense. I'm really struggling with whether to convert to nonrefundable. It would be a big savings, but I'm not sure yet we would use the future credit. I'm willing to risk 4x$100, but not 4x$450 (two cabins).

It seems possible that what they mean to say is that you can cancel the second cruise booked with the future cruise certificate and maybe extend another year, but you have to pay another $100. I probably would go for that. But I guess it's too early in the program to really know for sure.

It seems possible that what they mean to say is that you can cancel the second cruise booked with the future cruise certificate and maybe extend another year, but you have to pay another $100. I probably would go for that.

Yes, that's what it means, but why not take the cruise already? The whole point of the penalty is to dissuade folks from moving their bookings.

Yes, that's what it means, but why not take the cruise already? The whole point of the penalty is to dissuade folks from moving their bookings.

It's in 14 months, airfares aren't out yet, it requires 16 hours of flying time and school schedules aren't even final. We need a wheelchair accessible cabin and there were only two left so we grabbed one with a refundable deposit. I would like to change to a nonrefundable booking because it is significantly cheaper but it also comes with considerable risk beyond what travel insurance will insure.

I just booked our next cruise will on board Harmony. Was not real please with the agent but that is another story. Did the 100pp deposit for a Junior suite. The paperwork said I had 30 days from last day of current cruise to change date or ship at no charge, if I cancelled the deposit is non refundable. Any change after 30 days there would a 100pp change fee. If I upgraded I would have to pay the full deposit for the upgrade.

It comes down to hotel management. When you reserve a room or cabin it is taken of the open market. The company is planning on you honoring you commitment. If you decide to cancel they must add that cabin back to active inventory. In the rare if never chance no one rebooks you deposit covers some of their loss revenue.

If you make a change they have 2 cabins off the market till the old one goes gack on the market. Hince the change fee covers the operational expense of implementing the change you requested.

Another way to look at it you are building a house once the plans are drawn and you want to make a change you pay a change fee

Sent from my SM-T818V using Forums mobile app

I was making a reservation and saw two prices, one with a refundable deposit one without. The difference was $310 PP. I went and booked the same itinerary with Princess who doesn't have this money grab and hope they never will. Where does RCL think they're doing. When making a booking a year or two out many things can happen and if it's before final payment this doesn't sit well with me. Hotels don't do this when I book directly with them. Airfare id different in that you pay the fare all upfront, not just a deposit.

I was making a reservation and saw two prices, one with a refundable deposit one without. The difference was $310 PP.

Not everyone sees "the glass half empty"that you present.

Then again...if one waits to book much closer to the sail date...odds are the price will be waaaaaay more than the $310 difference. Ya snooze, ya lose. With only $100 really in play to "lose", it's no where near the big deal some are making it out to be. Otherwise, just pay the higher amount now and likely still save over the same cabin/cruise being booked in 6-12 months from now.

As for Princess not making a "money grab"...that's actually quite comical. We have yet to see a comparable itinerary fare with Princess lower than Royal...even with their older and smaller ships. We've looked to book with them more than once, and the fares were much higher in every case.

......"As for Princess not making a "money grab"...that's actually quite comical. We have yet to see a comparable itinerary fare with Princess lower than Royal...even with their older and smaller ships. We've looked to book with them more than once, and the fares were much higher in every case.

I compared Royal Serenade 11 days Southern Caribbean over New Years at $1268 inside to Royal Princess 10 days Southern Caribbean over New Years at $649 inside with onboard credit and Shareholder credit so booked yesterday with Princess. Love the ships, love Princess as much as Royal.

You just have to keep looking.

What service did RCI supply for the "service fee"? I'm the one sitting at the computer doing the research and making my own reservation on line. Maybe I should get on on-line booking discount.

You do.

NRD rooms are cheaper the fully refundable deposits. So you can choose. As the one poster mentioned, they saved over $600 by booking NRD.

EXCEPT for Suites. They are ALL (except JR suites) non-refundable deposits now.

The bolded part is WRONG.

If you make a change to a different ship or different sailing, you lose $100 per person.

After final payment, all normal penalties are in place.