My Princess Ruby Cruise review (10/14/17) and comparison to Celebrity Equinox.

klfhngr

I hope someone high up rectifies these problems on Ruby. No doubt at all that the crew make or break a cruise.

Not to defend Princess, but we did one cruise on X in Caribbean last Spring on Reflection. It was enjoyable and really liked the cabin with love seat. We felt the ship was 'broken up' with various bars spread around and none with adequate seating, Can't describe this really but we prefer 'Crooners' - a central place off a large Atrium. Also thought the Atrium on Reflection was drab.

OP - Thank you for this review!

I am glad to see that Grandma got at least some GM on the cruise!!

My wife and I will be trying Princess (and Ruby specifically) for the 1st time in Mar. We are with you in that a very significant portion of our enjoyment on any cruise is interacting with the crew. I hope by Mar, things change on the Ruby. This does seem to be a trend in reviews lately. I had chalked some of those reviews up to the reviewer as having what I perceived as a "you got what you gave" kind of an attitude. By this I mean some folks treat the crew as servants or somehow beneath them. But in your case I do not sense that.

IMO "boredom levels" are as subjective as food critiques. Stretching from constant activities all day all night to just wanting relaxation and quiet serenity. Thank you for including the level of your groups expectations in this regard. This allows each of us to make an informed decision as to the impact to our own unique expectations.

Regardless we will be (as always) be going with an open mind but very much appreciate the learnings of others.

My pleasure dforeigner.

jennybenny, glad you had a great experience on Ruby.. And hopefully on your upcoming cruises too!

As mentioned, we're seriously considering holding on to our Royal booking.... I don't have a problem at all trying different cruise lines... We have a number of Carnival and RCCL cruises under our belt, but don't mind trying others. We'll see how it goes :)

Totally get it drpack

I agree about the crew making/breaking a cruise, Tedferg

DnD_Cruisin, I read many of the reviews prior to our cruise. I was ok with it and went in with an open mind hoping for the best. As a matter of fact, I didn't mention any of the negative reviews to anyone in our group. I wanted them to 'judge' and to also go in expecting the best cruise experience that they've ever had. Unfortuntatly, for a few/many, the Ruby fell short.

We might try another Princess cruise, but we'll definitely stick with the newer ships.

We enjoy both cruise lines; have never really had a bad experience. I do wonder where you got the idea that Celebrity would have an 'older' passenger base, as usually they run to a younger demographic.

Everyone has different wants and expectations. For instance, we prefer a quieter atmosphere, especially after hectic port days, and lots of interaction with the crew (except for good and friendly service) isn't that important; we can also always find something good to eat, usually a lot better than we get at home!

I appreciate the way you reviewed the ships in a fair way, according to your needs.

I

We enjoy both cruise lines; have never really had a bad experience. I do wonder where you got the idea that Celebrity would have an 'older' passenger base, as usually they run to a younger demographic.

Everyone has different wants and expectations. For instance, we prefer a quieter atmosphere, especially after hectic port days, and lots of interaction with the crew (except for good and friendly service) isn't that important; we can also always find something good to eat, usually a lot better than we get at home!

I appreciate the way you reviewed the ships in a fair way, according to your needs.

I

I guess I heard wrong.. I was told by quite a few people that X catered to an 'older' crowd.

Thanks, I try to be fair and honest.... I have nothing to gain by posting none facts.... 'Just the facts ma'am'! ;)

Ship/Cabin: We knew going in that the Ruby is an older ship. She has held up though. Ship is in really good shape, however the colors and the ‘feel’ are not up to date. Seems outdated. Sort of easy to navigate. I think that if the staff was nicer and smiling, it would’ve made the ship feel nicer (if you know what I mean)….. We had an aft cabin, D735. Cabin seemed a bit tight but balcony was awesome!

I would just like to point out that Ruby Princess is only one year older than Equinox!!!!! EM

We are getting on the Ruby on Saturday so am disappointed in the comparison. We like Celebrity as well as Princess. We tend not to interact with the crew a lot but it's nice to have a good steward and we always find a favorite bartender somewhere. If the crew is surly that would certainly make a difference.

I'm going with the attitude that we will have a great time. The weather is supposed to be wonderful (cooling down a bit). We will enjoy each others company and just relax. Maybe you've done us a favor and we will be pleasantly surprised.

DH and I were on that cruise with you and your family!

This was the 2nd time we cruised on the Ruby and we still like the layout of the ship.

We do agree with most of what you said. It's like someone took the wind out of their sails and they were not enjoying their jobs.

I also thought that as far as the entertainment selections it was, as my husband would say, "Just okay".

We really didn't see anything in the Patter that made us say, "Hey! Lets go to this!".

Princess needs to make their employees happy so it can be passed on to the customer.

Oh, and as far as service from the IC was strange to say the least. Also, went in the morning looking for some good pastries and it was the same as what was @ Horizon Court. Oh well.

We are booked to go on the Island in April so we shall see.

Princess I think needs to step it back up. I really like the company however on our last two cruises we have felt sometime was missing from the staff.

Thank you for sharing!!

Ship/Cabin: We knew going in that the Ruby is an older ship. She has held up though. Ship is in really good shape, however the colors and the ‘feel’ are not up to date. Seems outdated. Sort of easy to navigate. I think that if the staff was nicer and smiling, it would’ve made the ship feel nicer (if you know what I mean)….. We had an aft cabin, D735. Cabin seemed a bit tight but balcony was awesome!

I would just like to point out that Ruby Princess is only one year older than Equinox!!!!! EM

I guess the Ruby needs work then!!!!! Equinox has held up, must have better genes!

We are getting on the Ruby on Saturday so am disappointed in the comparison. We like Celebrity as well as Princess. We tend not to interact with the crew a lot but it's nice to have a good steward and we always find a favorite bartender somewhere. If the crew is surly that would certainly make a difference.

I'm going with the attitude that we will have a great time. The weather is supposed to be wonderful (cooling down a bit). We will enjoy each others company and just relax. Maybe you've done us a favor and we will be pleasantly surprised.

I really, really hope that you have a great trip! Who knows, maybe they were having a bad week! Look for Mai/May from Japan, she's in one of the bars and will definitely make you smile!

The weather was perfect last week, hot and in the 80;s. Coming home on last day was windy and cold, as expected. But that night, OMG, the ship was MOVING and BOBBING!!!

DH and I were on that cruise with you and your family!

This was the 2nd time we cruised on the Ruby and we still like the layout of the ship.

We do agree with most of what you said. It's like someone took the wind out of their sails and they were not enjoying their jobs.

I also thought that as far as the entertainment selections it was, as my husband would say, "Just okay".

We really didn't see anything in the Patter that made us say, "Hey! Lets go to this!".

Princess needs to make their employees happy so it can be passed on to the customer.

Oh, and as far as service from the IC was strange to say the least. Also, went in the morning looking for some good pastries and it was the same as what was @ Horizon Court. Oh well.

We are booked to go on the Island in April so we shall see.

Princess I think needs to step it back up. I really like the company however on our last two cruises we have felt sometime was missing from the staff.

Thank you for sharing!!

'Glad' that someone agrees with me, if you know what I mean..... I also agree with what you said, they need to step up!! On previous cruises, the food might have been bad, the entertainment so-so. but for me, 75% of the experience is the staff and how the interact and treat you.

Happy Staff, Happy Customer! And returning customer too!

FYI: I too would look at the Patter and see what was going on. It's really sad when the Happy Hours times and locations are the highlights...

We just returned from the Ruby's last Northwest and Alaskan cruise at the beginning of October and know that many of the crew were leaving and being switched out. This may have contributed to the lack of enthusiasm you witnessed. Possibly due to many just starting to become acquainted to their new shipmates and managers.

I absolutely agree that Princess has been extremely boring on our trips to the Mexican Rivera - so much so that we also might take Carnival going forward to that region.

On warm weather cruises, Princess really suffers from a lack of energy and entertainment poolside. Bands play short hours and offer VERY old and boring songs (Think 50's and early 60's).

I think it's just the crowd they appeal to - more of the quiet poolside reading type. Which is fine, but not for us.

I do worry that Princess will find this a shrinking demograph going forward however, and could liven things up a bit on these warmer weather itineraries.

We love Princess on cooler voyages for its classic feel and dressy atmosphere. (Formal nights, Crooners, the more traditional warmer woods of its interior spaces are all a huge plus when spending time indoors.

But not so much if you want a fun, upbeat and active warm-weather cruise like those to Mexico.

We just returned from the Ruby's last Northwest and Alaskan cruise at the beginning of October and know that many of the crew were leaving and being switched out. This may have contributed to the lack of enthusiasm you witnessed. Possibly due to many just starting to become acquainted to their new shipmates and managers.

I absolutely agree that Princess has been extremely boring on our trips to the Mexican Rivera - so much so that we also might take Carnival going forward to that region.

On warm weather cruises, Princess really suffers from a lack of energy and entertainment poolside. Bands play short hours and offer VERY old and boring songs (Think 50's and early 60's).

I think it's just the crowd they appeal to - more of the quiet poolside reading type. Which is fine, but not for us.

I do worry that Princess will find this a shrinking demograph going forward however, and could liven things up a bit on these warmer weather itineraries.

We love Princess on cooler voyages for its classic feel and dressy atmosphere. (Formal nights, Crooners, the more traditional warmer woods of its interior spaces are all a huge plus when spending time indoors.

But not so much if you want a fun, upbeat and active warm-weather cruise like those to Mexico.

That possibly explains the attitude of the staff.... Sad that we had to suffer their misery..

I totaly agree with your comments regarding the MR and warm weather cruises. Princess is truely boring, no other word comes up.

Our first Princess Cruise was in 02 to the MR, and it was lively! What happened!!?? I'm truely trying to figure out as to which type of crowd they are trying to cater too.

That possibly explains the attitude of the staff.... Sad that we had to suffer their misery..

I totaly agree with your comments regarding the MR and warm weather cruises. Princess is truely boring, no other word comes up.

Our first Princess Cruise was in 02 to the MR, and it was lively! What happened!!?? I'm truely trying to figure out as to which type of crowd they are trying to cater too.

I'm with you - back in the early 2000's Princess was more fun and lively than it is now.

I remember silly pool games, better DJ's poolside playing current hit songs,etc.

Perhaps Princess had not fully converted over to Carnival Corp's acquisition and many employees from the independent P & O were still in charge?

I'm sure Carnival Corp wants segmentation between brands and perhaps started moving Princess away from those activities to attract an older, slightly more sophisticated crowd than what their Carnival Fun Ships were meant to attract at that time.

In fact, I recently met a lounge band that has worked on Princess, Royal Caribbean and Carnival. They said Princess was the only brand that gave them a specific playlist - mostly filled with much older "Easy-listening" type music. The other cruise lines let them play whatever they wanted (Or the passengers requested)

Edited by Scotto97

I'm with you - back in the early 2000's Princess was more fun and lively than it is now.

I remember silly pool games, better DJ's poolside playing current hit songs,etc.

Perhaps Princess had not fully converted over to Carnival Corp's acquisition and many employees from the independent P & O were still in charge?

I'm sure Carnival Corp wants segmentation between brands and perhaps started moving Princess away from those activities to attract an older, slightly more sophisticated crowd than what their Carnival Fun Ships were meant to attract at that time.

In fact, I recently met a lounge band that has worked on Princess, Royal Caribbean and Carnival. They said Princess was the only brand that gave them a specific playlist - mostly filled with much older "Easy-listening" type music. The other cruise lines let them play whatever they wanted (Or the passengers requested)

See, that's the princess that I remember! Rebranding soujds about right... Seems like they're going after HAL! ;)

Yea, the music was bad.. in the club it was ok, some old school and new stuff mixed. Besides that, ugh..

I was on the Ruby in February and have to agree with your review. First time in 30 cruises that I actually complained about the slow, slow service in the dining room. We gave up after 3 times.

I found the entertainment to be very good, some of the best. Loved the new shows.

I found the staff very friendly and worked hard with a smile on their faces.

I hesitate on going on her again because of the food problems.. The problem is that the Ruby is doing the 10 day coastal cruises that I really enjoy

Going on the Royal in 10 days so hope its much better

On our last Princess Cruise, there were 'those' songs on that 'playlist' that we heard two or three times from the same, or different, bands/venues. Uggghhhh.

We have a deposit on a cruise on the Regal... I have been hoping that it will be better. (please... please.....)

I am not getting any younger myself.... But, at this rate, Princess is going to start losing their demographic to 'attrition'!

Thanks for the review!

However, I am boarding the Ruby in two days . . . And I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to "boring"!!! (And I'm still a long way from 60);)

To me, at least, cruise vacations are what you make them...it's the beauty of travel on the seas, and meeting fellow travellers. Not sure I've had a bad one yet, and it sure beats work.

To the OP... Thanks again for sharing your experience.

On our last Princess Cruise, there were 'those' songs on that 'playlist' that we heard two or three times from the same, or different, bands/venues. Uggghhhh.

We have a deposit on a cruise on the Regal... I have been hoping that it will be better. (please... please.....)

I am not getting any younger myself.... But, at this rate, Princess is going to start losing their demographic to 'attrition'!

Couldn’t agree with you more. We have a Celebrity Cruise booked for April, but there are really good Prices now for the Regal vs X, especially in March and we are vacillating about going on the Regal, but the thought of their repetitive music [emoji445] is one thing that is deterring me right now. Last March took the cake, same songs from the steel drum guy, the orchestra, the pianist. I was craving some lively music. Even the disco had the same old same old. X’s music was WAY better everywhere on the ship a couple weeks ago. Their bands were very good with a good array of songs which appealed to many generations, not just one.

Comparing between Celeb. Silhouette and Coral Princess (completely different classes of ships mind you) and I do agree that they're targeting different demographics. Celebrity had electronic house music playing in the hallway, something straight off my Pandora house/chill electronic dance station I might add. DJ in the atrium at night, a silent dance party that used electronic headsets for people to switch between 3 different stations while people danced and mingled (hard to explain, go youtube it). Awesome shows, with some music that would have been on the pop top 40 list within the last 3-5 years.

Princess just feels more sedate, bordering on slow. I tried one or two of the shows on Coral and one of them was featuring way too much opera; it had the feeling of attempting to be highbrow and fancy... but not my cup of tea. The other was all old music I didn't recognize and just couldn't get into. We were in Alaska doing late nights and early mornings, so I just quit on the entertainment (I was there for Alaska, not cruise line's entertainment). I'm on Crown in a few months and am a little worried the entertainment will be similar. Comparing Ruby (2012) to all the X shows since, X was trending more modern dance and music versus "classics" on P.

Service on Coral might have been the best I've experienced in the MDR, and the food was all solid. Between Equinox, Silhouette, and Summit compared to Coral Princess I don't have any concerns about food on Princess being not up to snuff. Yes, Celebrity's Aqua Class Blu and Suite dining in Luminae on X were great, but I'm not sure that's a fair comparison between the lines. And MDR service had fallen on X last time we experienced it (Jan '16) such that I would have a little hesitation booking an MDR level room (basically Suite dining took away space and staff from MDR, so fewer resources for the MDR leftover).

One thing I didn’t see mentioned was the time of year. Mid October is going to draw an older clientele on a line that tends to draw an older clientele normally. I think if you are on the Royal, during a time of year when schools are off I think you will have a better time. DW and I are in our 30s but are old souls. We like the laid back atmosphere on board, but each line definitely has its own personality. From what I can tell from your posts I think you need one that’s just a little more active.

We just went to the Mexican Rivera in July on the Carnival Miracle. We had a good time but found the service on board much lower in quality than what we have come to expect on Princess, so it’s too bad you had such a bad experience, in all our cruises it’s never been anything but wonderful.

We board the Ruby in December to head back to Mexico, I hope your trip was just a one off, and I hope you give the line one more shot, but at the end of the day it sounds like X is suited well for you guys.

I agree with everyone's comments about the music and entertainment.

I too hope that this was a one-off..

There's always something to complain about (if your'e looking to do that), but we're not the complaining type. We try to make the best out of our vacations. We work hard and just want to get away, enjoy good food, good company and decent entertainment. I also told my children and a few of our friends, 'Despite of some of the negative things that happened, this sure beats the heck out of being at work'! And that's the God honest truth!

On a side note, I texted a friend yesterday to plan another upcoming cruise. His comment: Please no Ruby or old Princess ship!