Carnival's policy when a ticketed/paid passenger dies before sailing - DISGUSTING

DaveNetMan

I’m pretty sure I read that they fixed that “glitch” so that you can’t do it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While it cannot be done from the consumer side of CCL, it is still available on the TA portal. Contact your TA to have this done.

Something is definitely not right. I agree with Jakesana. Try guest services. I had a situation where my husband ended up not being able to go and my mother in law came in his place. It's been a while but I don't remember any hassles at all.

Thanks for the reinforcement of my idea. Guest Services is an amazing dept. and can many times get things done that seemed insurmountable in the beginning.

It's pretty common for consumers to agree to terms and conditions that are explicitly callous with regard to circumstances like this, and benefit from the lower prices that reflect those terms and conditions, and then turn around and act outraged when they are confronted by the callousness of those terms and conditions. We consumers have collectively incentivized this race for the bottom in terms of quality of customer service for a wide swath of the products and services that we consume. It's unfortunate.

I hope your sister didn’t pay the $250. Unless sister’s husband has a cell phone that works from heaven, he can not cancel.

If I wasn’t grieving, I’d call them back and say: “yes he’s dead, but he’s coming anyway” he can be a no show and won’t pay the penalties and will still get his port charges back. But it would be amusing to tell Carnival, that he’s coming in a coffin or urn with a sign that says “Carnival would not let me cancel” and he’ll be spending a lot of time by the pool.

I think I’d present it that way and then see if they are more willing to accommodate a simple name change.

My sincerest condolences to the departed's family, but this particular post did make me laugh. :')

It's pretty common for consumers to agree to terms and conditions that are explicitly callous with regard to circumstances like this, and benefit from the lower prices that reflect those terms and conditions, and then turn around and act outraged when they are confronted by the callousness of those terms and conditions. We consumers have collectively incentivized this race for the bottom in terms of quality of customer service for a wide swath of the products and services that we consume. It's unfortunate.

So true, they agree to the Terms and Conditions because they don't bother to read them or don't care. Then the unthinkable happens and they (a collective they) think that the terms and conditions shouldn't apply to them.

I DO think that there was an error when they tried to charge her the $250.00 on top of full cancellation fee and I made my recommendations. If all she is looking for is her $250.00 back, then this does not apply to her.

HOWEVER, I constantly read posts where people purchase cruises, don't purchase travel insurance and when something happens (that will never happen to me), they think the cruise line should be understanding and help them. NEWS FLASH - the cruise lines are a FOR PROFIT business. If they "helped" out everyone who didn't want to make the extra expenditure for travel insurance that would greatly reduce their profit.

bUU, this wasn't as eloquent as you stated it, sorry.

Some of you are missing the point of the original post. Friends husband dies, wife calls what she thinks is Carnival to have them change her husband with a close family friend instead. From the hundreds of other threads and posts I’ve read, this is usually a $50 change fee. She didn’t call to cancel her or her husbands booking. She called to change a passenger with a different passenger something Carnival has done 1000s of times and from I’ve seen it’s usually a $50 fee. Whom ever she got on the other end of the phone, I still think a third party call center, went overboard and said, oh your husband died? Well that means he cancelled and you lost his entire fare and must pay an additional $250 cancellation fee too. Pay up. Now you want to bring someone else with you instead? That will be full rate to add another person.

She still planned on going with someone else to honor her husbands passing. She’s upset at Carnival or the third party call center for how they reacted when she told them her husband died and i’d like to bring this person in place of my husband.

It's pretty common for consumers to agree to terms and conditions that are explicitly callous with regard to circumstances like this, and benefit from the lower prices that reflect those terms and conditions....

How does allowing a name change decrease the cruise line’s revenue in this circumstance? Surely a living passenger will spend more on board.

Some of you are missing the point of the original post. Friends husband dies, wife calls what she thinks is Carnival to have them change her husband with a close family friend instead. From the hundreds of other threads and posts I’ve read, this is usually a $50 change fee. She didn’t call to cancel her or her husbands booking. She called to change a passenger with a different passenger something Carnival has done 1000s of times and from I’ve seen it’s usually a $50 fee. Whom ever she got on the other end of the phone, I still think a third party call center, went overboard and said, oh your husband died? Well that means he cancelled and you lost his entire fare and must pay an additional $250 cancellation fee too. Pay up. Now you want to bring someone else with you instead? That will be full rate to add another person.

She still planned on going with someone else to honor her husbands passing. She’s upset at Carnival or the third party call center for how they reacted when she told them her husband died and i’d like to bring this person in place of my husband.

I don’t think people are missing that; a majority of posters are pointing out the errors in the original post and suggesting that there is a miscommunication. You don’t lose the fare and pay a $250 cancellation fee and pay to add a third person to the room. OP needs better facts to get a better answer.

I don’t think people are missing that; a majority of posters are pointing out the errors in the original post and suggesting that there is a miscommunication. You don’t lose the fare and pay a $250 cancellation fee and pay to add a third person to the room. OP needs better facts to get a better answer.

Correct. Worst case scenario is that they booked under an Early Saver rate (which DOES NOT ALLOW name changes) which means they would lose the husband's fare and have to pay to add a NEW second person to the cabin. NOWHERE should there be a $250.00 cancellation fee involved.

IF this is the case (Early Saver rate) they should just have the husband be a "no show" (they will lose his fare, but they are going to lose it anyway) and add the new passenger as a 3rd passenger in the cabin. I'm betting a 3rd passenger rate is less than a 1st/2nd passenger rate.

Perfectly stated. People seem to think that they are entitled to an exception. Sorry this happened but it isn’t unique. I’ll still speculate the additional charge is a single supplemen for a cancellation. This loophole was closed years ago when people were booking a double with one buying the cancel insurance which was more favorable than the double single rate.

Perfectly stated. People seem to think that they are entitled to an exception. Sorry this happened but it isn’t unique. I’ll still speculate the additional charge is a single supplemen for a cancellation. This loophole was closed years ago when people were booking a double with one buying the cancel insurance which was more favorable than the double single rate.

So as it stands now, they have kept her dead husbands entire fare, plus an additional $250 'cancellation' fee, and if a family friend can go with her, Carnival will gladly charge a 3rd full fare.

How do you explain them charging a single supplement for the husbands cancellation AND adding on a third person fare for the friend. Those two things are mutually exclusive.

I suspect that the husband paid the fare, on paper. Under early saver the ‘refundable’ portion of the fare is a future cruise credit in the payers name (dead husband who can’t use it) while the admin fee (could it be 250 here?). So if that’s the case it’s not $250 in addition to what has been paid. And hopefully by escalating it to a supervisor they will allow the wife to use the future cruise credit in some way.

Edited by sanger727

This is so sad and I am so sorry for your loss. I agree this is outrageously poor customer service. I would call again, ask for a supervisor, and ask for the supervisor's supervisor. I would ask them how someone who has passed away can be expected to pay a cancellation fee?! Good customer service, given these extenuating circumstances, would allow for a passenger change and no fees.

This reminds me of when my former fiancé died of heart failure in the hospital and they had the audacity to send him a hospital bill even though he had passed away! I sent them a letter telling them if they wanted him to be able to pay the bill they should have saved his life!!

This reminds me of when my former fiancé died of heart failure in the hospital and they had the audacity to send him a hospital bill even though he had passed away! I sent them a letter telling them if they wanted him to be able to pay the bill they should have saved his life!!

So anyone on deaths door should be required to pay in advance or refused treatment? Should his mortgage be forgiven as well and the bill for the funeral? Be reasonable, debts are settled by the persons estates if they have one.

I have a question for all of you who think the $250 cancellation fee makes sense. They have already paid in full and you think they should have to pay an additional $250 because the person who died will have to be cancelled. Then you say insurance would cover it. I say only if they had insurance that covered the cost of the cruise plus the additional $250 penalty. So all of you who get insurance do you include that additional $250 fee in the amount you insure? I think not!

I have a question for all of you who think the $250 cancellation fee makes sense. They have already paid in full and you think they should have to pay an additional $250 because the person who died will have to be cancelled. Then you say insurance would cover it. I say only if they had insurance that covered the cost of the cruise plus the additional $250 penalty. So all of you who get insurance do you include that additional $250 fee in the amount you insure? I think not!

The insurance would cover the cruise, since it does that, their would be no $250 penalty. Insurance is a no brainer..... this is one example of thousands here of why that is so.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The insurance would cover the cruise, since it does that, their would be no $250 penalty. Insurance is a no brainer..... this is one example of thousands here of why that is so.

I agree there should be no $250 penalty but this is what the OP claims was told to them by 2 Carnival representatives. Some posters have said this is part of the cancellation policy. I posted earlier, and so have a few others, that there should be no $250 fee. But many keep saying there should be and that people don't know what they agreed to when they booked. There seems to be a bit of confusion about the facts posted by the OP. And by the way they have not come back to clear things up.

As long as insurance exists as an offering, not purchasing insurance is choosing to self insure for those circumstances that insurance would cover.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I agree there should be no $250 penalty but this is what the OP claims was told to them by 2 Carnival representatives. Some posters have said this is part of the cancellation policy. I posted earlier, and so have a few others, that there should be no $250 fee. But many keep saying there should be and that people don't know what they agreed to when they booked. There seems to be a bit of confusion about the facts posted by the OP. And by the way they have not come back to clear things up.

I can understand the emotions of the OP, but I find it hard to believe. If you have a no show to a cruise, the other parties do not have to pay a fee. Makes zero sense, I know it's early saver which has the cancel penalty, but if it were a no show there is no charge.

So anyone on deaths door should be required to pay in advance or refused treatment? Should his mortgage be forgiven as well and the bill for the funeral? Be reasonable, debts are settled by the persons estates if they have one.

Unlike a Mortgage, cable bill with install costs built in to the contract, or a funeral, the cruise is already paid for in full.

Unlike a Mortgage, cable bill with install costs built in to the contract, or a funeral, the cruise is already paid for in full.

I wasn’t referring to the cruise. Was referring to the posters reference that she refused to pay her fiancée final hospital bill since they failed to keep him alive.

Sorry about your brother in law.... I recently had a similiar situation and here's what we did ~ Guest arrived at port and advised Carnival at check-in that other passenger was deceased and would be a no-show. Was advised that port fees and taxes and prepaid gratuities would be immediately refunded to original form of payment. Upon return from cruise, sent Carnival an email with copy of death certificate to reviews@carnival.com and requested either a refund or FCC for the surviving passenger. Carnival issue the FCC without any further question.