Carnival's policy when a ticketed/paid passenger dies before sailing - DISGUSTING

DaveNetMan

There are some "ifs, "ands" and "buts" to this, however to my knowledge I think it should have went something like this:

The only thing I can think of that could be causing this is that the room was only a double room, no third person space, so she would have to cancel her husband's spot and add her friend. However, even with ES, that should be a $50 fee. I could be wrong.

I would think that she would be able to just have done a no show and not have to worry about anything. But she wanted her friend to go with her and that complicates it. She should have just been able to switch the names and not cancel. And maybe the $250 would have been for the Early Saver rate change fee. But without more information............

Sorry about your brother in law.... I recently had a similiar situation and here's what we did ~ Guest arrived at port and advised Carnival at check-in that other passenger was deceased and would be a no-show. Was advised that port fees and taxes and prepaid gratuities would be immediately refunded to original form of payment. Upon return from cruise, sent Carnival an email with copy of death certificate to reviews@carnival.com and requested either a refund or FCC for the surviving passenger. Carnival issue the FCC without any further question.

They choose to do so for customer service not for any suggested threat. They do not need to refund fare due to death. Read your contract.

And even such extension of generosity is on the decline, as process management and improvement achieves revenue goals by way of optimizing operations.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I have a question for all of you who think the $250 cancellation fee makes sense. They have already paid in full and you think they should have to pay an additional $250 because the person who died will have to be cancelled. Then you say insurance would cover it. I say only if they had insurance that covered the cost of the cruise plus the additional $250 penalty. So all of you who get insurance do you include that additional $250 fee in the amount you insure? I think not!
Actually yes and it should be unless you want to pay that on your own. I don't know how Carnival's insurance is set up - we never use theirs- we always get our own policy from another company, and include all fees and penalties according to our booking conditions. But I don't believe many others do this, but should. :)

They choose to do so for customer service not for any suggested threat. They do not need to refund fare due to death. Read your contract.

Seriously??? I am well aware of what the contract says... just giving this person a suggestion based on my experience. Despite what the contract says, I have always found Carnival to be very fair when it comes to situations like this!

This reminds me of when my former fiancé died of heart failure in the hospital and they had the audacity to send him a hospital bill even though he had passed away! I sent them a letter telling them if they wanted him to be able to pay the bill they should have saved his life!!

:o really?

Actually yes and it should be unless you want to pay that on your own. I don't know how Carnival's insurance is set up - we never use theirs- we always get our own policy from another company, and include all fees and penalties according to our booking conditions. But I don't believe many others do this, but should. :)

So you really think there is an additional cancellation fee even when someone is paid in full and will lose their entire fare? It is nowhere in the Carnival Contract. The most you should lose is the total fare. People here are so confused about Early Saver. There is the cancellation fee (depends on the amount of the deposit) but it is BEFORE final payment not after final payment. Regular cancellation penalties apply after final payment.

So you are saying if you book a 7 day cruise with a fare of $1000pp on Early Saver you insure your cruise for $1250pp? You should only insure $1000 as that is the most you would lose if you cancel shortly before the sailing. The $250 is less than the $1000 and is only lost if you cancel before final payment. It is not in addition to the cruise fare.

After being a long-time Carnival customer for over 30 years, I want to say how absolutely DISGUSTED my family is at how Carnival is treating my sister after her husband passed away last week.

Last spring, my sister and her husband booked a Carnival cruise for this November. About 6 weeks ago, her husband was suddenly diagnosed with cancer, and he passed away last week. We just had his furneral this week. My sister decided she would still like to take the cruise, to both honor him and to get away from reality for a short while. She has a close family friend that would be able to go to keep her company. She called Carnival to see how this can be arranged. To everyones shock, she was bluntly told that not only is there absolutely no refund for her husband who just died, but THEY REQUIRE HER TO PAY AN ADDITIONAL $250 'CANCELLATION FEE' ON TOP OF THAT! When she told me that, I told her there's no way that can be true, maybe she can contact them again and speak to another person. She waited and called them again, spoke with a different person, and was told the exact same thing. This is unbelievable. They kept saying it's because he "cancelled"... apparently they equate DYING as 'cancelling'. She felt she had no choice but to pay it. So as it stands now, they have kept her dead husbands entire fare, plus an additional $250 'cancellation' fee, and if a family friend can go with her, Carnival will gladly charge a 3rd full fare.

Does this sound right to anyone? Do other cruise lines do this? Is there anything more she can do? I would love to hear from others who had a similar situation happen to them, and what they were told.

Oh, she was also told that once she pays that additional $250, she would probably get some of it back, since Carnival may refund the port charges. How generous. But she will need to submit an appeal, including a death certificate. I'm just disgusted by the whole thing. Carnival is not the people-friendly company they want you to believe.

Sounds like something to bring to John Heald's attention.

Seriously??? I am well aware of what the contract says... just giving this person a suggestion based on my experience. Despite what the contract says, I have always found Carnival to be very fair when it comes to situations like this!

Fair is paying what you agreed.

Fair is paying what you agreed.
Fairness is really what I was getting at early in the thread: If people are buying insurance to cover this situation for themselves, it is not fair to force everyone, including those who purchased trip cancellation insurance for themselves, to effectively subsidize such insurance for those who chose not to purchase trip cancellation insurance. As much as the OP's situation is terribly sad and we all are sorry for the OP's loss, there should be some advantage retained for the loved ones of passengers who pass away prior to sailing who have purchased trip cancellation insurance.

You do know John does not outrank people who set policy?

....and you do know that John has an open line to those who have the opportunity to override policy? While there may be other courses of action, this one is def viable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fairness is really what I was getting at early in the thread: If people are buying insurance to cover this situation for themselves, it is not fair to force everyone, including those who purchased trip cancellation insurance for themselves, to effectively subsidize such insurance for those who chose not to purchase trip cancellation insurance. As much as the OP's situation is terribly sad and we all are sorry for the OP's loss, there should be some advantage retained for the loved ones of passengers who pass away prior to sailing who have purchased trip cancellation insurance.

Anytime one passenger enjoys a benefit provided by the cruiseline, it is effectively subsidized by all. Should I not order that 2nd lobster because everyone else has to pay for it? Those people asking for ice in their rooms are really hosing the rest of us! Those people who got free cruise offers are cruising on my dime!

No two people impart the exact same cost to the cruiseline and what we pay them over time also varies widely. So I’m not sure why so many are so vested in making their travel insurance policy appear more valuable.

It is also odd that those who purchase travel insurance are not more grateful to those who don’t: Doesn’t fewer people buying insurance mean less demand and lower prices for those who do? If the widow in this case had insurance would that not be and increased cost that is passed on to all who purchase insurance from that company?

So as a future cruiser with insurance, I’m happy to bear my share of the almost negligible cost of allowing the name change. If she ends up cancelling and uses her insurance, that would be a much larger cost to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anytime one passenger enjoys a benefit provided by the cruiseline, it is effectively subsidized by all.
Yes, but this is a much more direct subsidization than different levels of consumption of food:

In this case, John paid for X; Jane didn't pay for X even though she could have; both got X. That's simply not fair, and moreover it makes no sense for things to work that way.

I am guessing (having not read the entire thread) that there was no insurance purchased.

My mom died-- got back her fare in entirety plus my dads fare-- was able to do a name change and let two other people go in their place for a total of 50 bucks. They did NOT book early saver rate.

Sounds like this booking was done using an early saver rate-- one of the cheapest options. This rate does NOT allow for name changes or changes of any kind

I do note that OP posted to Carnival's FB page and received a response to have his sister call and talk to someone. Of particular note was that Carnival's response did seem to accept the $250 fee as part of the deal. (There was no "that shouldn't have happened" response) I would be curious if they worked it out. I hope so.

So you really think there is an additional cancellation fee even when someone is paid in full and will lose their entire fare? It is nowhere in the Carnival Contract. The most you should lose is the total fare. People here are so confused about Early Saver. There is the cancellation fee (depends on the amount of the deposit) but it is BEFORE final payment not after final payment. Regular cancellation penalties apply after final payment.

So you are saying if you book a 7 day cruise with a fare of $1000pp on Early Saver you insure your cruise for $1250pp? You should only insure $1000 as that is the most you would lose if you cancel shortly before the sailing. The $250 is less than the $1000 and is only lost if you cancel before final payment. It is not in addition to the cruise fare.

No sorry, that didn't come out as I had intended. I only meant that if there are penalties or fees according to my bookings with cruise or flights, we add them to the cancellation costs if there are any above the initial fare.

Yes, but this is a much more direct subsidization than different levels of consumption of food:

In this case, John paid for X; Jane didn't pay for X even though she could have; both got X. That's simply not fair, and moreover it makes no sense for things to work that way.

Jane is not trying to collect insurance money from wherever John got his insurance.

Jane is asking for a name change, a request on par with a cabin change request or any other after booking/pre-cruise accommodation, probably handled by the overflow call center in India where they’re paying very little.

I might also add that part of the reason cruise lines can charge fees like in OP is because an insurance company will pay them where a direct consumer would be more aggressive. Cost spiral out of control in any industry where the consumer is removed from direct payment.

Jane is not trying to collect insurance money from wherever John got his insurance.
You've misunderstood. John and Jane were in the same exact situation. The only difference is that John purchased insurance and Jane did not. Jane is trying to collect cost considerations from the cruise line without having actually purchased the insurance that would cover such costs.

Cost spiral out of control in any industry where the consumer is removed from direct payment.
If you feel strongly about that, then seek to have insurance banned. Until then, we are living in a world with insurance.

Can someone tell me why the cruise industry gets to even charge a name change cancellation fee (other than they have great lobbyists working for them)?

Passengers are booking a specific cabin for their use - like a hotel room.(Once on the ship and you have questions about your room, you are directed to HOTEL services) If I booked a hotel room, they wouldn't care who the 2nd person was in the room. They would ask for the second name at check-in.

These name change charges make it seem that passengers are a commodity. You switch your "commodity" and you're charged a re-shelving fee. If someone already paid for 2 people in a room, there shouldn't be any additional fees as the cruise line is not out any fees. Yes, they may have to check with homeland security to see if the person is a "watch" list and can't leave the country, but that's done with a few computer keystrokes and it's automated.

Yes, I know that's what it says in the small print "terms and conditions," but maybe it's time to write our elected officials in Washington to require a change that is equitable to the hotel industry of which cruise lines really are. :D

Can someone tell me why the cruise industry gets to even charge a name change cancellation fee (other than they have great lobbyists working for them)?

Passengers are booking a specific cabin for their use - like a hotel room.(Once on the ship and you have questions about your room, you are directed to HOTEL services) If I booked a hotel room, they wouldn't care who the 2nd person was in the room. They would ask for the second name at check-in.

These name change charges make it seem that passengers are a commodity. You switch your "commodity" and you're charged a re-shelving fee. If someone already paid for 2 people in a room, there shouldn't be any additional fees as the cruise line is not out any fees. Yes, they may have to check with homeland security to see if the person is a "watch" list and can't leave the country, but that's done with a few computer keystrokes and it's automated.

Yes, I know that's what it says in the small print "terms and conditions," but maybe it's time to write our elected officials in Washington to require a change that is equitable to the hotel industry of which cruise lines really are. :D

No idea, but ask the airline people too. Why can’t they change a name on an airplane ticket? The fare has already been paid. Why should they care who sits in the seat? And if you want to change your flight at anytime, they charge $200 or so on most airlines (I realize some don’t) if you don’t have status. It doesn’t cost them anything to do so. See a price drop after 24 hours on most airlines (again, there are exceptions like Southwest), and you’re SOL.

I don’t know why businesses do things the way they do, but if I don’t agree with them I won’t give them my money. It’s best to protect your investment with insurance. If you don’t care enough to do so, why should anyone else?

Some of you are missing the point of the original post. Friends husband dies, wife calls what she thinks is Carnival to have them change her husband with a close family friend instead. From the hundreds of other threads and posts I’ve read, this is usually a $50 change fee. She didn’t call to cancel her or her husbands booking. She called to change a passenger with a different passenger something Carnival has done 1000s of times and from I’ve seen it’s usually a $50 fee. Whom ever she got on the other end of the phone, I still think a third party call center, went overboard and said, oh your husband died? Well that means he cancelled and you lost his entire fare and must pay an additional $250 cancellation fee too. Pay up. Now you want to bring someone else with you instead? That will be full rate to add another person.

She still planned on going with someone else to honor her husbands passing. She’s upset at Carnival or the third party call center for how they reacted when she told them her husband died and i’d like to bring this person in place of my husband.

It is not a $50.00 change fee with an Early Saver booking. It is a cancellation of the person, regardless of the reason, and then they have to book the new person into the cabin. If this had been a Past Guest fare, then yes, it would have been a $50.00 fee to just change the name. I think it has much more to do with the rate code than anything else. Personally, we never book ES. It is not worth the hassle to save $20.00 bucks on the fare. With the PG fare you can get the fare reduced before final payment, so why tie your money up in such a restrictive fare?

A few years ago I was on a cruise with a bunch of girlfriends. About 3 days before sailing, the husband of one of our group had a massive heart attack. Her roommate still wanted to go. Our TA cancelled out the one not going and the second passenger was hit with the Single Supplement. She had to pay the money right then and there. Then, the agent started the claims process rolling and both she and the woman who did not go filed insurance claims before the sailing even took place and were made whole by the insurance company. The only money they were out was the insurance premium, which was $49.00 each. The one who cancelled got all of her money back and the one who sailed got the single supplement back. They had the checks within 10 days of filing the claims. They were grateful that their agent sold them the travel insurance. Ship happens when you least expect it, so get the insurance, unless you are independently wealthy and can afford to lose the money. It is also very useful to have a TA in these situations. They know what financial statements you need from the cruise line showing cancellation fees and penalties and monies refunded and can be very helpful with the claims process.

Edited by DebJ14

It has nothing to do with lobbyists. It has to do with price and value. Consumers value low base prices even though terms and conditions provide for surcharges, fees, and other monetary annoyances. If you had a cruise line and ran that cruise line through time in three different "realities" once as a cruise line that charged a low fare with no surcharges, once as a cruise line that charged a higher fare, and once as a cruise line that charged a low fare with surcharges, the latter would be the most profitable of the three. It's a reflection of the maniacally bargain fixated behavior of the typical American consumer.

Of course, you and I don't behave like that - it's everyone else. :)

These name change charges make it seem that passengers are a commodity.
Economy cruising is a commodity. (The commodity is what is sold, not the purchaser.)

You switch your "commodity" and you're charged a re-shelving fee.
Think of it this way instead: The passenger record is the oil in a car. If you want someone to replace the oil with different oil, you have to pay them for that. It could have been "included" in the cruise fare itself, just like oil changes could have been included in the purchase of the car, but that's not the way the economy cruise lines/economy automakers operate.

Without saying whether it is good or bad, but the trend in Washington is away from imposing regulations on business, not toward it; away from extended consumer protections, not toward it.

Everyone who hasn't bothered to read the whole thread should keep in mind that other than the rant in the original post, no details on how the booking was made is provided.

There is no information on the fare or promotion and the restrictions under which it was booked provided. There is no information if the cruise was booked under an exchange program (such as as time share exchange which has additional fees and penalties for cancellation).

In short, everyone is long on theory but has no facts to make any definitive statements on what the cruise line should do.

Cruise lines provide a transportation service that includes room and board. That makes them more like airlines than hotels. So it makes sense that the cancellation terms and conditions are more like airlines than hotels. Hotels don’t usually ask for more than 1 name for a room because they don’t have any reason to. Airlines and cruise lines however have a variety of government agencies that regulate them and therefore needs to report the names of their passengers for security, visa, and customs requirements. You would never go through customs coming out of a hotel.