"First" Cruise Advice AKA Cruising with Teens

Greetings All,

My wife and are booked on the Freedom out of San Juan next May. Even though we have cruised before, this will be a “first” cruise in many ways. This will be our first as Diamond. First in a suite. Most importantly, it will be our first cruise that we won’t be traveling just the two of us. We are bringing our two granddaughters, ages 13 and 14 with us. We weren’t in position to do this with their parents, so this will be completely new to us. We get to show them first hand all the things they have been hearing us speak of over the years. We (and they) are SUPER excited. They have been fairly sheltered up to now. It will be their first timeout of New England, their first hotel stay, and first airplane flight.

Anyway, we are looking for suggestions from those who have cruised with teens. Anything special we should do? More importantly, what shouldn’t we do? How much Liberty, Freedom, or Independence(see what I did there?:D) should we be prepared to give them? Any suggestions for shore excursions?

No, we will not be bringing them to the Diamond Lounge. I know better than to ask…:rolleyes:

Any and all advice is appreciated

Paul&Michelle

I would say let them help plan the shore excursions and or the specialty restaurants. Make them feel like they have a say in things. I would encourage them to limit cell phone and computers. So much to do on a ship and internet cane be expensive. best of luck and enjoy

They are still in the age groups that enjoy the kid's clubs...so take them the 1st evening...that's when they will meet other kids their ages... And yes...certainly let them be part of the "planning"....pick up a guidebook on the ports you'll visit, and let them read about those places! The more you know about the ports, the better time you have ashore!

Wow! So many firsts foryour granddaughters. My kids are the same age and although they have traveled extensively, we have not cruised often. Our first cruise was on an older smaller ship and my kids LOVED it. What they really loved was the freedom. They liked getting to go to the pool and hangout- and they liked meeting up with other kids.

We didn't do specialty dining with the kids. Just going to the dining room was enough for them. They really liked the buffet because they could get exactly what they wanted.

We planned the excursions with their input. We did a beach day (making sure there were activities at the beach like kayaking, snorkeling etc.) a cultural day (saw ruins) and two animal encounters. We held sloths in Roatan and swam with manatees in Cozumel. But even after all of that, the kids liked the ship more than anything else.

On our cruise in 2 weeks I scheduled all the shows that the kids might enjoy. They may or may not attend but I wanted to have the option.I have taken my kids to the theater/symphony/ballet/opera etc. since they were little so they love any type of performance-I don’t know if all kids are like this or not. But most kids love acrobatic type shows and usually shows with good music and dancing.

But once we get on the ship I will let them take the lead. The main reason we are cruising again is because they wanted to...so I will pretty much let them do which ever activities they want to do.

They are still in the age groups that enjoy the kid's clubs...so take them the 1st evening...that's when they will meet other kids their ages... And yes...certainly let them be part of the "planning"....pick up a guidebook on the ports you'll visit, and let them read about those places! The more you know about the ports, the better time you have ashore!

The kids club is a great place for them to meet folks their age. When we sailed they actually had a "prom night" where the kids got to dress up and attend a dance. Not sure if they still do this but they did a year ago.

We took 2 14 year olds and a 13 year old last year on Los, their first cruise. We gave them some freedom. They had to meet us for meals and check in occasionally. We would give them a time and place to meet, depending on what was going on that day. They had to tell us where they would be. If they didn't show at the designated time or weren't where they said they would be then they were stuck with us the rest of the day. Lol The girls loved the teen club. We tried to pick excursions that would appeal to the whole group, 3 teens, 2 in their 40's, and 3 in their 60's. What ports are you going to?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just remember you will have bad apples on board too. My then 14 year old niece was grabbed on the rear by a drunk. She was only a few feet away from myself and my dad. Rccl did the right thing and kicked the guest off the ship. But just imagine what can happen. Your grandkids should enjoy freedoms but they need to still be carefull.

Agree about having rules and enforcing them. Glad there are two of them. It makes it easier to meet other teens. Good advice to let them have input on excursions. Our grands love Paradise Beach and experiencing other cultures. You are giving them a wonderful gift.

When traveling with my teens. We all plan shore excursions together. On the ship we spend most of our time together. I’ve never said they couldn’t go off. They just like spending time with their brothers and sisters. We play games in the game room. Don’t think we have ever went swimming. Take in the activities and we don’t do cell phones on our vacations. Since the don’t go much they may not be too adventurous anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You've gotten a lot of great advice above. I very much agree with them going to the kid's club on the first night to meet new friends. After that, I've seen it go both ways. My nieces and nephews like to spend time away from the family and hang out with friends, while my friends' teenage girls prefer to stay with us throughout the cruise.

On one cruise, my niece (then around 12) did not show up to her cabin at curfew. First, our family and friends started searching for her. After a while, half of the ship's crew was also searching for her. They eventually found her in the library playing a game with a friend. They had "lost track of time."

Since you said they are very sheltered, I would have the parents give input on how much freedom they should be allowed on board. If they’re especially naive, it can be dangerous. Even if you think they need to grow up a little, a ship full of strangers isn’t the place to do it.

My 13 year old is pretty sheltered too, and she doesn’t always make friends easily, so she didn’t get much from the teen kids club, which is very unstructured. She went to the Meet and Greet all excited, but the popular kids formed their cliques right away and she didn’t really fit in. She went back a few times to join in activities she was interested in, but it wasn’t as enjoyable as when she was 11 and went to the regular kids club.

We have 4 kids aged 17 to 10 and from my experience each child is different.

We have one that we would trust to be responsible and follow every single rule and we also have one that would be the daredevil and keeps us on our toes every minute of the day. We have one that would mean to do well but would easily be distracted (Squirrel!) and wander off and we have one that would end up in the library reading books all day.

So it'll be different for each kid. Our kids are homeschooled but all well traveled (we traveled the country for 4 years in a motorcoach and have been through Mexico and Canada)

I think the most important thing is making sure they are comfortable traveling with you.

Someone mentioned earlier that they can help plan excursions and shows. This is great advice. The last thing you want is a teen that doesn't want to be anywhere near or around their family (and we all have those at some point) If they are open to communicating with you that's half the battle.

Although it's ancient, we use the ships telephone system quite a bit. Kids are required to call the room and leave a message if they go somewhere not planned. So if they go to the kids club and it's boring, they need to call and let us know where they are going next. That way we can check messages and see where they ended up. If you have internet on 2 devices a chat program like hangouts on your phone is great.

They are not allowed in anyone's cabin ever for any reason. On top of that they are only allowed in public spaces where there are groups of people. For example, they are not allowed to go hang out in studio b by themselves or a group if they are the only ones in there. They need to stay in populated public spaces.

Overall though in all our time traveling we have found that the world is mostly a safe place. Especially on a cruise ship. When alcohol or drugs are involved that can be a different story. Most people mean well and are willing to help out. So you don't have to feel scared or worried. But do use common sense. And we tell our kids, if something doesn't look or feel right, it probably isn't. Always error on the side of caution so you can continue to have fun.

Things to do - We always plan to do certain dinners and have family time at those dinners (Not every night as some nights are date nights for us) we do special time with each of them. One on one with something they enjoy. Sometimes it's as simple as waking up early with one of them and grabbing a foo foo coffee and watching the sun rise.

They do like the kids club and ice skating. Some do all the sports some do none. They all love to swim.

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Edited by wilmingtech

My girls were the same ages when we cruised on the Anthem during spring break. They had their own room next to ours. We saw them at dinner. Pretty sure they were out til curfew and then slept til lunch (which they regretted the moment they got off the ship). First night went to the kids club and met friends. Subsequent nights none of those kids went to the kids club. Instead they pretty much hung out at the seaplex which had a lot to offer. Rules were NO one in your cabin and you can't go in anyone else's cabin. We also signed a form which allowed them to get on and off the ship at Coco as they pleased.

They had wow bands and free reign to charge but knew the total cruise spending limit per person.

As an aside, my 13 year old met a boy from Mexico and fell in love. She didn't get his digits and cried all the way home : )

Have a wonderful cruise!

My kids have cruised with us from age 6 to 21.

How much freedom you given them depends on the kids. In port, none. They were always with us.

My kids are very independent and were experienced cruisers by the time they were that age. They spent a lot of time in the kids club or with their new friends. They were expected to keep us posted on where they would be if they were not there. My rule was that they were not allowed on the open decks at night. I had a fear of young teens messing around and pushing each other and an accident happening. They always had dinner wit us.

If they are shy and sheltered they may prefer to stay with you more on the ship. If they were with a group of kids would they have the independence to walk away if the kids were acting like idiots? Let them go thru the cruise planner and pick what's interesting for the next day.

Get them a soda package - it's vacation. My kids have always had charge privileges. The rules are that they have to be able to justify any purchase. No buying things for new friends. No arcade (That can add up fast).

Agree with previous posters about rules, etc., especially as they are new to traveling and somewhat reserved.

They might enjoy activities like trivia with you - although kids enjoy freedom, they also like to be with their families. Mini golf, trivia, etc. can work.

Don't forget the paperwork side of things. Assuming they will have passports. You will also need permission letter from parents to take along. Also check their insurance and have either a copy of their insurance card, or appropriate trip insurance. You would also need a letter/document from parents giving you the ability authorize medical treatment. Make sure you know any medical allergies and/or medications. If they wear glasses/contacts make sure they have a spare pair.

Does Freedom have an Aquatheater? We have sailed her once and there wasn't an Aquatheater (that I recall).

We are on her next month and doing some planning. Thanks.

No Aquatheater on Freedom. Corrected back on post #9.