Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Thanks all for the get well wishes.

Getting better so they must be working!

Any recommendations for our brief stop in St Johns?

Other than bring a parka?

;-)

While in Newfoundland, if you're come from away and not done it before, you might want to get screeched in. You don't mind kissing a cod, do you?

At the moment, there is a high wind warning.

Wonder if that will preclude a visit.

We aren't scheduled there until April 28...

I haven't kissed a cod, well I take that back. Some of those guys back in high school could qualify.

I only know I haven't kissed a frog. No remarkable transformations into a prince.

So I kiss the cod and get the rum? I do have a slicker and foul weather gear.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good Morning all from The Seaside.

So relieved to have arrived. Terrible rain, fog, mist and the only thing missing was a plague of rats. At some times we were crawling along at 10mph as I could barely see Helga’s nose.

Still. down safely and that is an achievement. Waiting for the house to warm up over a large voddy ...

Greetings Coolers!

J...that sounds like a white knuckle drive! Enjoy Seaside! And the curries??? :)

Spins....hope you get into St. John's. Definitely an interesting place. With your previous experience with kissing high school aged cod you will be fine! :) You might consider a visit to The Rooms.

https://www.therooms.ca/exhibits/now

"The Rooms is Newfoundland and Labrador’s largest public cultural space. It represents and showcases our province to itself and to the world.

Both a destination and a journey, The Rooms is where the province’s most extensive collection of artifacts, art and historical records come together to create meaningful and memorable visitor experiences that share who we are and how we came to be."

Today's funny....

aa.jpg

Have a great day all!

My recall of St. John's may be fuzzy because we never actually visited... but I think we planned to rent a car and drive to the Cape Spear lighthouse. Isn't that the easternmost point in North America or something like that?

Closer to town, there's Signal Hill. And I think there is a brewery on the other side of town that we wanted to visit.

The entrance into the harbor in St. John's is very narrow, and if there's a crosswind the ships can't enter and exit for safety reasons. That is what happened to us the first time (2008). We sat outside the narrows for about 2 hours, waiting to see if the wind would die down. When it didn't, we headed for New York. Since that was our only scheduled stop between Greenland and New York, we ended up with 4 sea days in a row. Yuck.

The second time, we had an itinerary change a few days before we sailed, and we went to Sydney (NS, not NSW) instead.

Jeff, that does sound like a stinky drive. Yuck. We had some nasty rain getting to Kennedy a few times ago. Not my favorite way to start a vacation...

So here's a question for you English grammar professionals. What is the possessive form of St. John's? When a name already includes an apostrophe, what do you do? I purposefully wrote "the harbor of St. John's" above, because I couldn't figure it out. Is it St. John's' Harbor? That looks ugly. It probably shouldn't be St. John's's Harbor...

Grammar having become so much looser these days, I expect most people would just say St John's harbour - I would. Language is meant to serve us, not us it.

Since the favoured way of showing a possessive in this circumstance is to include the full name (St John's xxxx's harbour), I looked up why it is St John's:

http://www.stjohns.ca/living-st-johns/your-city/st-johns-history/city-name

Thanks M .. yes curries are planned.

JP, as the possessive after the S implies several St Johns, then sticking with the one seems the obvious choice to me. The included free apostrophe is presumably because when using St John’s it is implying either the place or church or hospital or something named after him but for brevity leaving the speciffic off.

For example in London St Bartholomew’s Hospital is always shortened to simply “Bart’s”. the preumption being all know it is the hospital. The same with St Paul’s is always the cathedral.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

We've also had the experience of not being able to get into St. John's, Newfoundland, however there's a lovely story that goes with our trip.

Since we couldn't get in, we headed off to Cornerbrook....never heard of it....It was a very impromtu move, however when we arrived at the local fishing dock, basically the entire town was out to greet us....live music, a dozen Newfoundland dogs to glom, and the lovely mayor who shook every passengers hand. The town was nothing special, but the welcome was heart warming...and isn't that what a good part of travel is all about?!!

How lovely, Mudhen, a mayoral welcome AND Newfoundland dogs, who could want for more? You are absolutely right that it is experiences like this which make us want to travel - that and a teensy weensy bit of luxury of course.

Rp

Without wishing to sound too Yorkshire, for your Cornerbrook visit you were lucky. I was on the Whisper last year and our scheduled Cornerbrook visit fell on the Labor Day holiday and Cornerbrook was, well, shut. No one on the dock, no one anywhere else, nothing open at all. Then it rained. A lot.

Oh well ... maybe another time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm new to posting; but would like to know if there is a meeting on any Silversea cruises with Cruise Critic participants. We will be on the holiday Whisper cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco.

Hi, you can start a roll call for your cruise and maybe some folks will join in:),,,,,,,,

Here is a link to that forum......you need to find your ship and see if one is started......if not, you can start one.:)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=849

Hello All!

A very warm welcome to Bluebelle both to the Silversea boards and the Cooler.

Jeff...what a journey you had to the balcony....sounds like Helga did a good job getting you there safely.

Spins, do hope you continue to recover and start getting ready for the Muse....am busting to get the cruise rail up here with five weeks and counting!

I can never understand the apostrophe as l was always taught in the plural with ‘s......however, talking about the English language l find it so annoying these days with the younger generation when it’s (as in it is!) ......and the current take on it.....like...Babe...Whatever...Lush...amongst other such ‘cool’ sayings....

My pet hate is when a waiter serves me a drink and says Cheers.....or someone calls me Mate....guess I’m just a grumpy old biddy.....🤨

Still wading through the renovations but making good progress on phase two......

Happy Day 😊