Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Rosepark...that is an awesome description of the Aurora pictured! And you are absolutely spot on! :) And I agree with the tent assessment. Cold enough in the house here with a furnace going. I would turn blue in a tent there.

Most welcome Linda! :)

Hi JP, couscous and pine nuts and other stuff!

M is referring to my desire to see Northern Lights but with a reasonable degree of certainty of seeing the lights and on an SS ship going up say between January and end of February. Viking do something but I'm not certain they are for us. M has been urging me to go to Canada.

It is still one of those things I want to do, but the issue from our point of view is that I want to increase certainty of seeing it once by making it a long trip but if it were land based it would be to a remote place with little else to do hence my desire for SS to ape the Viking offering and doing it with a smaller ship. If SB did one then we'd probably give them a go if it were on a smaller ship. I want say 14 nights on preferably Whisper or Shadow between January and March. If it were 7 days and we missed it - it would have been a waste of time and effort. And it isn't going to therefore happen.

Sounds very Mediterranean. I might have to try something like that. But pine nuts are horribly expensive these days. There are cheaper ones from China I know, but some concerns raised over those. Might have to get some anyway.

Thanks for the recap. Now it seems familiar. The Explorer would be great for that trip but it would be totally off cycle (she's usually in the southern hemisphere then). So they'd have to bank on filling a whole season's worth of voyages. I'd certainly consider it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Me too, sign me up now. I know Hurtigruten offer a guaranteed sighting or another cruise to compensate but they are a bit too basic for my liking and drinks are not included. I want to be pampered and still see the Northern Lights- is that too much to ask?

Rp

Yes J....come to Canada. You will like it here. We have a healthy respect and fondness for curmudgeons (not that you are a curmudgeon). :) Take Rex Murphy for example. Mr. Murphy is a Canadian commentator and author, primarily on Canadian political and social matters. He is also witty.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-murphy-too-frigid-for-global-warming-this-is-why-they-rebranded-it-climate-change

Gosh, I’m feeling special, having seen the northern lights on many occasions. The best was on a flight from Calgary to Toronto, but I used to have to go for work purposes to YT and NT. I will admit the colours were not a brilliant as are seen in the long exposure photographs. However I was usually in work camps (eg: deBeers diamond mine north of Yellowknife - the destination in ‘ice road truckers’) which while comfortable enough do not classify as ‘pampering’ on the SS scale.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Myster reminded me that we saw very faint Northern Lights from our front yard years and years ago. Not as spectacular as they would be further north than we are, but a small thrill. Obviously my memory is as full of holes as a moth-eaten sock. :(

ef41bb157286cdc6d6211e6ceb986d2a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OOOO! Northern Lights?!!!

Just made our final payment on our TA on the Spirit in Sept. We are now officially poor!

Snow expected tonight. Only 4-6"...hears hoping they won't up the estimates...although they are rarely correct!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Linda

Greetings Coolers! Bright sunshine today! The world looks so much better when it is drenched in sun!

Today's funny...

26001307_1560225570691135_8011279555599834857_n.jpg

Have a great day all!

OMG! That was great funny. Out elderly Jack Russell was probably the instigator of that message. When he was younger, there was no weather that he wouldn't LOVE to go out in. Now....not so much. Snow? icky poo yucky! Under the dining room table is so much better.......giggle!

There is a commercial airing here with a song that I had once loved and had forgotten about. It made me smile today and I'm hoping it will do the same for the Cooler denizens. "O-o-h Child" is a 1970 single recorded by Chicago soul family group the Five Stairsteps and released on the Buddah label.

"Ooh-oo child

Things are gonna get easier

Ooh-oo child

Things'll get brighter

Ooh-oo child

Things are gonna get easier

Ooh-oo child

Things'll get brighter

Some day, yeah

We'll get it together and we'll get it all done

Some day

When your head is much lighter