Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

I thought you just drank from the bottle?;p:halo:

Good one, JP....too funny!

OTOH, those crepes looked absoutely beautiful! My son in law gave me PJs for Xman on which the top is written "oh crepe"....he thought that was right up my alley .....and he was right!

Everything looks delicious, Jeff. I'm intrigued about the mozárabe wine... I read the story on the label... have to ask Roberto if he's had it.... how was it?

It was OK ... perfect for the pancakes but my favourite is Eiswein from Austria but it isn't easy to find the good stuff. It is so difficult for the Austrians to produce as they produce extremely limited quantities almost just for personal consumption. They leave some grapes on the vine after harvesting new wines and harvest the almost rotten grapes whilst frozen during winter and they have to press them before they thaw, the juice now being naturally very suite. Some of them are surprisingly light and almost just off clear white.They press them by candle light and it is quite magical. But this was OK and from Southern France.

Hi everyone........got my car........and it is a car. I bought a REGAL instead of the SUV........I really wanted one to begin with so not sure why I was looking the SUV lol............anyway, it is silver and drives like a dream:D

I’m not a wine connoisseur but we have some nice local wineries that produce some good dessert wines. Of course the vintages vary, but among my favourites are Elephant Island Apricot, also their Crabapple, and Lang Wineries makes an interesting port-like wine infused with Maple Syrup. A fun midweek escape is to book a B&B in Penticton and spend a couple of days exploring the various wineries along the Naramata Bench.

PS we do have some good ice wines too, but I find them a bit too sweet to my taste.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi everyone........got my car........and it is a car. I bought a REGAL instead of the SUV........I really wanted one to begin with so not sure why I was looking the SUV lol............anyway, it is silver and drives like a dream:D

Enjoy!

I’m not a wine connoisseur but we have some nice local wineries that produce some good dessert wines. Of course the vintages vary, but among my favourites are Elephant Island Apricot, also their Crabapple, and Lang Wineries makes an interesting port-like wine infused with Maple Syrup. A fun midweek escape is to book a B&B in Penticton and spend a couple of days exploring the various wineries along the Naramata Bench.

PS we do have some good ice wines too, but I find them a bit too sweet to my taste.

Hi,

Some wines are called Eiswein but they are not made in the same way. There is even a brand. They simply freeze grapes. If ever you get a chance to taste a traditional Austrian one do try it, and I think you will taste a completely different experience.

I'd go along with Jeff's recommendation to try eiswein. The Germans also produce some excellent dessert wines. The problem is that some are just too sugary - of course a dessert wine is sweet but the really good ones match a rainbow of flavour and depth to complement the sweetness. It's hard to describe but a really good dessert wine such as Tokaji or Chateau d'Yquem are so much more than just a sweet white wine - different layers of flavour but not syrupy.

I first had Tokay in Sydney. We had taken a trip to the Hunter Valley where we had a private wine tasting at a vineyard. The chap explained all about the wines and how properly to taste and assess each wine. It was very illuminating (although did little to train my uncouth palate). Next day we had dinner at Est in the Establishment Hotel and chose the tasting menu. The wine waiter was proud of the wines offered with each course and asked what we thought. It was hard to answer with any authority but I did what the vineyard owner had shown us and must have given the impression of a depth of knowledge I simply didn't (and still don't) possess.

Anyway, at the end of the meal the wine waiter said that the dessert wine was OK but since I obviously knew my stuff (Hah - poor, deluded fool) would I like to try their very finest dessert wine - it was a Tokay but I've no idea which one. Well, it was marvellous. It really was the stand-out part of the meal and sent me down the road of looking at dessert wines with more interest. Living in Germany at the time allowed more access to German dessert wines and I got very interested in their eisweins. I'm still clueless about wine in general - much to the despair of our friends and neighbours, not to mention the vintners, in Burgundy - but I really enjoy trying dessert wines even though the experience is often disappointing.

Can I just express some sympathy for all those male Coolers who forgot about Valentines day again this year, as they did last year and the considerable silence that this oversight can bring to a normally otherwise harmonious household.

I have now learned the hard way and an expensive card awaited her ascendency this morning. I got mine in first and it was an expensive hand-made jobby. So this means a bit of harmony for 24 hours at least.

I made her ham egg and chips for lunch but sadly one of the yokes had broken and this was brought to my attention. Not all things are easily forgiven.

Good work with the card J! And special congrats on remembering. Myster is not the best at gestures like that. And his other qualities make that little "omission" not worth considering.

Everyday a Valentine

You needn’t bring flowers

On Valentine’s Day

Don’t bother with chocolate

That isn’t your way.

Gifts are not needed

To show me your love

You lift up my heart

As on wings of a dove.

You show me each day

That your love is true

We weather each storm

I find comfort in you.

I do not need romance

When your love fills my life.

The flowers mere tokens

That wither with strife.

Your love though is constant

It outshines any treasure

Each day with my Valentine

Is a gift beyond measure.

Happy Valentine’s Day to My Love!

I am one very lucky soul! :)

Fun day for Jeff today! Happy Valentine to all Coolers and hope you all got chocolates and flowers. DH and I don't eat out today... it's mayhem! He plans on a special pasta with a Chateau Frank (from our own Finger Lakes area) sparkling rosé.

A special celebration for Lois, who will be "Regaling" all her acquaintances with her dashing new car! Congratulations Lois.

Happy Valentine's Day wishes to all as well. We are also eating in. Much easier, and I like our wine fridge selection.

Cams, we have a sparkling rosé from Wiemer. Not sure I'll open it tonight though. Need something to go with those gargantuan crab legs. So a white may be better...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Fun day for Jeff today! Happy Valentine to all Coolers and hope you all got chocolates and flowers. DH and I don't eat out today... it's mayhem! He plans on a special pasta with a Chateau Frank (from our own Finger Lakes area) sparkling rosé.

A special celebration for Lois, who will be "Regaling" all her acquaintances with her dashing new car! Congratulations Lois.

OMG! Could that "Chateau Frank" be related to the (in)famous Dr. Konstein Frank?!

OMG! Could that "Chateau Frank" be related to the (in)famous Dr. Konstein Frank?!

I assumed so. Cams likes that winery, IIRC. We do too, but we spend more time at Wiemer.

We will be dining on Qatar this evening enroute to Doha. I wonder if they do anything special.

Safe travels! We're only four weeks behind you...heading to Sydney, but in the opposite direction ALB-DTW-LAX-SYD) for a birthday trip. Have a great time, and let us know how you liked the flight!

Speaking of Valentine's Day dinners...back in 2011, we flew to South Africa on 2/14. We had our Valentine's dinner at TGIF in the Atlanta airport! Chris and I got a laugh out of that. Hopefully, yours is better.