MDR Embarkation Day!

USCcruisecrazy

I'm guessing that the day we Embark from Ft Lauderdale that the MDR will be business as usual. We are scheduled for 8:15 Traditional Dining. Can I assume it will be a casual night and dinner as usual? Meaning, they don't do something different that first night.

The main difference is the first night in a "fixed" dining room is that someone has to show you to your table. Therefore, dinner takes a little longer while you wait for everyone at your table to show up.

Never a formal night on the first night. Suitcases can be slow in coming or get lost.;p

Sometimes, it feels like the waiters are relearning how to do their job on the first night. It can take a day or two for the rhythm to be established.:confused:

The main difference is the first night in a "fixed" dining room is that someone has to show you to your table. Therefore, dinner takes a little longer while you wait for everyone at your table to show up.

Yes, and the “getting to know you conversations”.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. Does it help to arrive earlier in the day to check on your table assignment or confirm your party?

Assuming you are doing TD, no it does not matter and may be difficult to find your table before time to dine. They will have waiters available to show you to your table the first night as they do all pax and will insist on it. Actually on the first night you can wear about anything and be allowed into the MDR since some may still be looking for their luggage (more typical of the early sitting). I have worn jeans and a tshirt with flip flops the first night.

Please check your Patter because they change the dining times for TD. The time will be printed on your sea card as well so check it.

I'm guessing that the day we Embark from Ft Lauderdale that the MDR will be business as usual. We are scheduled for 8:15 Traditional Dining. Can I assume it will be a casual night and dinner as usual? Meaning, they don't do something different that first night.

I was on a South American cruise earlier this year & there was a delay in boarding thus a delay in getting our luggage so I was allowed in the MDR in my shorts. Otherwise it’s “Smart Casual” as mentioned earlier unless the Patter says otherwise.

Tom😎

Appreciate the assist. We did choose the 8:15 TD, so I guess the first order of business is making sure it's still at 8:15. :)

That part is easy. You have mentioned on other posts you have made that you have a sizable group. What you should do is compare cruise cards and see if everyone you expect to be seated together is together.

Depending on the DR you are assigned to, you might get a look before dinner. One DR will be open for lunch on embarkation day and one DR (could be the same one) will have a session time to meet with the MD if you need dining assignment changes made. No reason you can't go table scavenger hunting if you are curious as they are logically numbered with little placards. Otherwise, DR's are considered closed until dinner.

Your first Patter will indicate the dining times for each DR.