Ovation to Alaska

How big is Ovation? Can it do Glacier Bay or the inside passage?

Guessing it will be doing the same 7-night itineraries Explorer and other Seattle-based ships have been doing for many years (Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm, Victoria). Nonetheless Ovation will be a great ship for a cold weather cruise with two indoor pool areas.

How big is Ovation? Can it do Glacier Bay or the inside passage?

Glacier Bay yes. Juneau probably. Beyond that...much of the Inner Passage has limits.

It sounds more like 7-day Seattle-based cruises to ports that can handle a ship of that size (only). Radiance will remain the ship supporting the more "intimate" Inner Passage Alaska stops.

Glacier Bay yes. Juneau probably. Beyond that...much of the Inner Passage has limits.

It sounds more like 7-day Seattle-based cruises to ports that can handle a ship of that size (only). Radiance will remain the ship supporting the more "intimate" Inner Passage Alaska stops.

Royal Caribbean doesn't go to Glacier Bay. They haven't been allowed to since they were banned for illegal dumping.

I did previously mention that Quantum Class ships are not my favourites, but considering some of the features on the Anthem, I think Ovation is perfect for Alaska. Radiance is too small for me and as much as I love Explorer, she isn't really built for cold weather cruising, so Ovation gets it just right, and it is likely in the cards for me in 2019.

What is the Broadway-style show on Ovation?

I don't think they have one due to the current Chinese deployment at Summer but she could get one added. Maybe CATS will come over from Oasis (hopefully not!).

Without the inside passage you spend more than half the cruise in somewhere other the Alaska.

Thanks for pointing that out - a key factor in being less than enthusiastic about Ovation coming to Alaska with the announced plans. The Inner Passage stops are among the most spectacular in Alaska.

We were also fortunate to sail out of Canal Place in Vancouver BC, in contrast to our of Seattle (the current starting port). Besides that city being amazing for a pre-cruise few days of visit, that location puts the ship closer to the Inner Passage.

It sounds like going forward...id you want to see Alaska for all its great glacier, fjord, whale-watching, and intimate wildlife glory....Radiance is your ship. If a more limited view of Alaska and mostly enjoying the ship's features is your preference...Ovation will do just fine.

Where does it say that it isn't doing the inside passage?

The announcement makes no mention of the Inner Passage ports/stops.

There's no mention of it either...so its only speculation at this point where Ovation will actually make stops.

It does say Juneau and Victoria. Again, it is simply a swap of ships, no reason to think otherwise. In absence of new info, go with the historical patterns.

HA ALL MY YEARS IVE BEEN SAYING PUT A QUANTUM CLASS SHIP TO ALASKA THAT SAID NO IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN. YOU CAN SUCK IT. LIVE LONG AND SUCK IT!!!!!!!!!! I was right!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All your years? You are three years old?

Wow, very mature

It’s victor mature. You don’t know how great it feels for being right. So many years you guys have been putting me down saying it was a dumb idea for a quantum class in Alaska. (If you don’t know what victor mature means. Listen to the Woody show on iheart media.

It’s victor mature. You don’t know how great it feels for being right. So many years you guys have been putting me down saying it was a dumb idea for a quantum class in Alaska. (If you don’t know what victor mature means. Listen to the Woody show on iheart media.

Well it's Alaska very lite. Not worth the money in my opinion.

Well it's Alaska very lite. Not worth the money in my opinion.

A number of folks here would agree.

Thankfully we got the pleasure of enjoying Radiance in Alaska, including all the great Inner Passage stops.

We'd rather enjoy Ovation over in Sydney/New Zealand...oh wait...we are. :eek::cool:

Interestingly enough....that 10 days on Ovation down under in a deluxe balcony next year costs us less than 7 days in Alaska on Radiance did 2 years ago.