Ovation to Alaska

Why would it not do the same as Explorer?

Seattle, Alaska Inside Passage, Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm Fjord, Victoria, Seattle

That is what many of us are saying but the others who are speculating think it something different. One even mentioned Glacier Bay which is ridiculous since Royal Caribbean has been banned from there since illegal dumping in the late 90's.

Where does it say that it isn't doing the inside passage?

This size of ship is not able to go through the Inside Passage and has to go on the west side around Vancouver Island. Same applies for Explorer already. She is also too big to stop at some ports like Ketchikan. If you really want to see the best of Alaska Radiance or other smaller ships remain the much better option.

It is funny that so many people say a ship over 90.000 tons big and over 950 feet long is too small for them. Titanic was one third of Radiance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This size of ship is not able to go through the Inside Passage and has to go on the west side around Vancouver Island. Same applies for Explorer already. She is also too big to stop at some ports like Ketchikan. If you really want to see the best of Alaska Radiance or other smaller ships remain the much better option.

It is funny that so many people say a ship over 90.000 tons big and over 950 feet long is too small for them. Titanic was one third of Radiance.

Explorer does do part of the inside passage. I agree that it is too big to do it all, but it does do some.

This size of ship is not able to go through the Inside Passage and has to go on the west side around Vancouver Island. Same applies for Explorer already.

RCI needs to update their web site info as they advertise Inside Passage on Explorer.

RCI needs to update their web site info as they advertise Inside Passage on Explorer.

It's really just a technicality. Most would consider the inside passage to be in Alaska starting in Skagway, including Juneau. and ending in Tongass National Forest. Vancouver isn't included in the normal definition. It you try a Google or Wiki search that's what comes up.

We were also fortunate to sail out of Canal Place in Vancouver BC,

The announcement makes no mention of the Inner Passage ports/stops.

Where's Canal Place?

There's many posters on this forum who need to educate themselves and stop posting things as fact when they are 100% wrong. Took me 10 seconds to google this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_Passage

Ovation is going to Juneau and Skagway which is within the Alaska inside passage.

When speaking about the "Inside Passage", there is an Alaska portion as well as a British Columbia coastal portion.

Well it's Alaska very lite. Not worth the money in my opinion.

But there are many of us that live on the West Coast that had to fly to Bayonne or China to take a Quantum class cruise. We have done Alaska and it was amazing and would love to go again but get bored on smaller ships.

Only having an hour +/- flight to be on Ovation is very appealing. Savings on flight will guarantee the "suite" life.

Where's Canal Place?

There's many posters on this forum who need to educate themselves and stop posting things as fact when they are 100% wrong. Took me 10 seconds to google this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_Passage

Ovation is going to Juneau and Skagway which is within the Alaska inside passage.

When speaking about the "Inside Passage", there is an Alaska portion as well as a British Columbia coastal portion.

Yes, but to be able to go through the narrow passage in British Columbia makes the difference! Of course all ships go somehow through the Alaska portion. If not they would not be able to reach any of the usual ports in Alaska.

I think it's great that Royal has brought a Quantum class ship to sail Alaska.

For many , actually more and more as the average cruisers age gets younger and younger it's not always about the itinerary it's about the ship as well. For our family we have no desire to sail on one of the smaller ships for a week and we will gladly sail on the Ovation even though it is a more limited Alaska itinerary.

So it looks like they cancelled the Ovation march 30, 2019 repositioning Cruise from Sydney to Singapore.

I wonder if the ovation will stop in New Zealand, South Pacific and Tahiti enroute to Hawaii?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So it looks like they cancelled the Ovation march 30, 2019 repositioning Cruise from Sydney to Singapore.

I wonder if the ovation will stop in New Zealand, South Pacific and Tahiti enroute to Hawaii?

Unless Ovation does an extended repositioning to Seattle I can’t imagine the sail over would begin on March 30. That would put the ship in Seattle to early to begin Alaska runs. Maybe they would have it do a few California Coastal trips in late April/early May before the first Alaska cruise? They might break up the repositioning into 2 or 3 separate cruises somehow.

I think it's great that Royal has brought a Quantum class ship to sail Alaska.

For many , actually more and more as the average cruisers age gets younger and younger it's not always about the itinerary it's about the ship as well. For our family we have no desire to sail on one of the smaller ships for a week and we will gladly sail on the Ovation even though it is a more limited Alaska itinerary.

Agreed. Ovation is also nice for those of us who have already done the more port intensive Alaska itinerary on Radiance. I'd make a second trip just for the views from Two70 and the North Star.

We're already planning to be on Ovation in September 2019, whether it be an Alaska or Pacific Coastal cruise.

Agreed. Ovation is also nice for those of us who have already done the more port intensive Alaska itinerary on Radiance. I'd make a second trip just for the views from Two70 and the North Star.

We're already planning to be on Ovation in September 2019, whether it be an Alaska or Pacific Coastal cruise.

I'll have to wait and see what prices are like. I wouldn't mind doing Oasis in Europe or Ovation that summer but not both.

Have you heard if the dry dock for Oasis will be done before met season in the Med or at the end of the season before she returns to NA. That could influence my decision.

We've wanted to try Anthem but her itineraries at the times we were able to travel didn't inspire me.

I'm really excited about this as we live in Seattle and Royal is our preferred line. Too bad it isn't until 2019, as we are trying to decide on a 2018 cruise now (its probably between Alaska on NCL Bliss and pacific coastal on RCI Explorer which is 1/2 the cost). I'd love to see Ovation do a longer round trip Seattle pacific coastal itinerary (that made it further south than San Francisco), or at least offer a pacific coastal more than 1 or 2 weeks a year (such as in May, before Alaska, not just in Sept/Oct). Explorer did 3 this year (2017) but is only scheduled for 2 next year (2018). A pacific coastal itinerary is much cheaper than Alaska, and since we've done both before, its more about the vacation aspect and ship than the itinerary.

I was booked on the Explorer TP that was cancelled. As of now, it is being said the Ovation will do the TP in 2 legs. Sydney to Honolulu on Apr 17 2019 and Honolulu to Vancouver on May 4th 2019. I seriously don’t understand why it couldn’t do the same itinerary as the Explorer if it’s going to be homeported in Seattle.

I was booked on the Explorer TP that was cancelled. As of now, it is being said the Ovation will do the TP in 2 legs. Sydney to Honolulu on Apr 17 2019 and Honolulu to Vancouver on May 4th 2019. I seriously don’t understand why it couldn’t do the same itinerary as the Explorer if it’s going to be homeported in Seattle.

Where have you found this information? I was not much interested in the Explorer TP, but the Ovation is a different matter.

JC

Where have you found this information? I was not much interested in the Explorer TP, but the Ovation is a different matter.

JC

There were some postings on the Deployment thread and our Roll Call...I think the dates were gotten from a FB posting and some got emails with the info. However, there are no itineraries yet, and nothing I have really seen set in stone, so I’m taking all postings with a grain of salt.