Lunch during embarkation

mrsboca

All the Princess cruises we've been on have had a main dining room open on embarcation day. You may have to look for it, and staff will try to steer you to the buffet. But there probably will be one. When you say "restaurants" do you mean specialty venues? I don't think those are ever open.

Was on the Crown in January and had the beef medallions in the MDR embarkation day. I think they are open until 1:30PM for lunch. No chaos like the buffet lines. It's actually something I really look forward to, the official start to the cruise.

We have done both a B2B on the same ship and on two different Princess ships and was never made aware of a "special" lunch for the B2B pax. In fact the one on the same ship it seemed like we were being punished. Forced to stand in a hot terminal for almost an hour while they located 2 missing B2B pax. No chairs so felt really bad for those with mobility issues. Was denied the restroom for almost 30 minutes because they would have "re-count". The next B2B we changed ships and boarded normally.

All of the "normal" stuff was available, MDR until 1:30 and so on. Horizon Court was open and being some of the first back on the ship it was less chaotic. I think it also helped that the pax that were there had done it all before. Like a well oiled machine instead of the masses that look like they had not eaten for days.

We will be on the Crown next week!!!

Just wondering if any restaurants are open for lunch or is it “Buffet” only? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Even though MDR is open for lunch, staff will encourage pax to eat at the Horizon Court Buffet.:') That is my experience on Princess anyway. Although we don't generally check in until 2pm or 3pm, let the masses go, in no hurry. Plenty of tucker on board.

Enjoy your cruise.

Don't know if it works the same, but we got an email about our upcoming cruise on the Emerald Princess. It says:

Shortly after we welcome you onboard your spectacular Princess ship, you may dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship’s multiple dining rooms.

Makes it sound like all dining rooms are open for lunch, as well as the buffet.

Don't know if it works the same, but we got an email about our upcoming cruise on the Emerald Princess. It says:

Shortly after we welcome you onboard your spectacular Princess ship, you may dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship’s multiple dining rooms.

Makes it sound like all dining rooms are open for lunch, as well as the buffet.

No that’s correct, the ship has multiple dining rooms, but only 1 is available

On our cruise on the Caribbean Princess this summer, the menu for the lunch on embarkation day had been pared down, with very limited selections. I missed the ravioli I usually order. I had the salmon. It was still nice to sit down and be served lunch. I like that relaxation after the hurry up and wait of the embarkation morning.

We love having our embarkation lunch in the mdr as opposed to the buffet. The problem for us is when there is a delay in boarding and we miss the dining room lunch hours. I always feel that on those occasions it would be nice if they extended the dining room lunch hours. But I suppose that would create more work for the already stretched crew.

We love having our embarkation lunch in the mdr as opposed to the buffet. The problem for us is when there is a delay in boarding and we miss the dining room lunch hours. I always feel that on those occasions it would be nice if they extended the dining room lunch hours. But I suppose that would create more work for the already stretched crew.

If the boarding issue caused huge numbers of passengers to be delayed, and as a result the muster and departure were also delayed, then extending dining hours would make sense, in spite of extra work. If the boarding issue was not bad enough to delay the muster or departure, then perhaps the issue is not really extra work, it's that people are in the dining room too close to the time that muster drill is scheduled for.

If the boarding issue caused huge numbers of passengers to be delayed, and as a result the muster and departure were also delayed, then extending dining hours would make sense, in spite of extra work. If the boarding issue was not bad enough to delay the muster or departure, then perhaps the issue is not really extra work, it's that people are in the dining room too close to the time that muster drill is scheduled for.

Hmmm...I see what you are saying. Can't remember if muster and sail away were delayed in either instance for us.

I don't know if all Princess ships use the same menus, but the embarkation day lunch on the Regal a couple of weeks ago was one of my favorite meals in the dining room. The spinach and ricotta cheese ravioli and beef tenderloin were amazing!

• 3 months later...

What do they offer to eat in the MDR on Embarkation day for lunch? We usually go to the Horizon Court, but thought we would try something different this time. We did do the MDR once YEARS ago and had the hamburgers (which we didn't care for). This time I am cruising as a Vegetarian, can I find something in the MDR for lunch? Thank you

What do they offer to eat in the MDR on Embarkation day for lunch? We usually go to the Horizon Court, but thought we would try something different this time. We did do the MDR once YEARS ago and had the hamburgers (which we didn't care for). This time I am cruising as a Vegetarian, can I find something in the MDR for lunch? Thank you

See post #18. Vegetarian ravioli.

DH gets it frequently for our first day lunch.

There's always at least one vegetarian dish in each category of the menu (main dish, appetizer, etc).