TA Etiquette Question

iujen94

Hi! Not sure the best place to post this, but I figured someone here would have some advice.

I booked a RC cruise for April 2018 back in March 2017. I researched and booked it all on my own - I had reached out to a travel agent that we had used in the past to see if they had any discounts available, but I didn't hear from her very promptly, so I booked it myself. I heard back from her after I'd booked it, and she told me they'd likely have OBC and some other benefits available for the cruise, but they weren't out yet for 2018. We moved the reservation over to her to get the benefits.

Fast forward over the last couple of months. RC has had several promotions that I thought might result in a lower rate for us. She's never brought those promotions to my attention; I always reach out to her. When I email her to see if she can check the rates, she's very slow to respond, seems kind of annoyed that I'm asking, and generally has not been helpful at all. After asking several times over the last couple of months about the benefits, it turns out there is no OBC available, and we will just get a bottle of champagne (nice, but we hate champagne), and a specialty dining reservation (also nice, but I'd rather have the OBC - or both, which we've gotten in the past).

I'm pretty frustrated with our travel agent in general, and I'd like to shop our reservation around to see if anyone can get us a better deal or better benefits. I've done 100% of the work, while she gets a commission and the benefits we get are minimal.

Thoughts on whether it's just horrible form to consider moving our reservation to another TA? Is that even possible? I know it was easy to move our reservation from RC to our current TA, but not sure if you can move TA to TA.

Thanks!

We had a similar problem with a TA... We looked around to see who had better deals and wound up canceling and go with another for $350 worth of OBC... BUT there was no cancellation fee from the original TA. (I’m glad I asked before I booked.) If you can get a better rate and/or credit then I would jump ship.... I’ve called our big website agent a few times to ask about cheaper rates. Never did get one, but they were always prompt and super nice....I’m not going to pay someone who is irritated with me for asking them to do their job.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seems to me from what you describe that your current TA is not be accommodating & we recommend that you appeal first to their management about the issues .

Depending on what then transpires with the firm's management , you can always cancel & rebook as long as you are before the final payment date & that your deposit was NOT a non refundable type deposit :cool:

Hope this helps:)

Most larger TA's don't have the time to check each person's reservation, then the cruise, then the promotions every day. Due to the internet, most of the info is available to all and you can find it yourself and let them know you found xyz changes. Not making excuses for her, but I'm sure you folks are not their only client. I too would speak to a supervisor and find out what the agency feels is their responsibility, don't just assume they will do this.

Secondly, speaking of assuming, you booked with them on the vague promise of OBC and possible other swag. Nothing is sure until it's in writing. I know you will not make that mistake again. We have all made similar mistakes.

Third, people talk about the TA getting their commission.... This is not paid by you. Your price is no different TA or not. If using a TA the travel company pays their profit. If the TA gives you OBC or other prizes, in most cases, they had to purchase them and that purchase came out of their commission profit.

Lastly, you may have a fight to get rid of the TA. They have to sign off of being let go. Translation, they have to say, ok we will give up our money. If you can prove to Royal that the TA has not done at least the minimums of their job, you can get them to take the reservation back.

I WAS a TA on a part time basis, in a large agency for several years.

Added: you would have to cancel and rebook unless you can get Royal to take the reservation back

Edited by harlekuin
Added info:

Thanks everyone - all of this is really helpful. I guess I will stick with the TA for this trip and then take my business elsewhere next time.

If you happen to book another cruise on board mske sure you sign the form that lets you retain control of the reservation otherwise it will automatically go the the TA that you used for this cruise.

So if I decided to make a change, I'd need to cancel and rebook? Or is there a way to transfer the existing reservation? I'd like to keep the good rate (that I found :) ) and our specific connecting cabins.

Your TA would have to release the booking. Also, with some cruise lines, there's a time limit after which it cannot be transferred.

If you decide to cancel and rebook, you need to make sure you will be happy with the cabin, dinner seating, and price with the new booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I know that RCI runs some promotions with TAs (free dinner vouchers, etc), I generally assume that other things I get come out of the TA's pocket. When I shop for cruises based on these extras, my mindset is not to use the agent as a full-service TA. Sure, if something comes up I will contact the agent, but otherwise, I assume I'm trading service for OBC. Since I'm generally not needy, it has worked for me.

While I know that RCI runs some promotions with TAs (free dinner vouchers, etc), I generally assume that other things I get come out of the TA's pocket. When I shop for cruises based on these extras, my mindset is not to use the agent as a full-service TA. Sure, if something comes up I will contact the agent, but otherwise, I assume I'm trading service for OBC. Since I'm generally not needy, it has worked for me.

I agree 100%. I just feel like I'm not getting service OR decent benefits in this case. But no worries - I'll chalk it up to a lesson learned!

Most larger TA's don't have the time to check each person's reservation, then the cruise, then the promotions every day.

I beg to differ. A good TA has software that automatically checks for fare reductions daily. As a TA, I not only get an email when a lower price is found, but I also proactively check for my clients on a regular basis - just in case the software missed something. The lower prices are not always as good as they appear (sometimes you would lose $150 in OBC to save $100 on the cruise fare), so the TA needs to double check before offering that savings to the client. If the system is working well, you should get at least the same price and benefits that the cruise line offers plus a much higher level of service.

That said, as others have said, it is very difficult to move a reservation away from a TA unless he/she agrees to this. I'm sorry you did not find the service you deserve. I hope you enjoy your cruise anyway.

From a UK perspective where terms and conditions might differ ...

If you want to transfer your booking to another TA or to RCL directly then it is extremely difficult. The TA holding the booking has to release it and RCL will not get involved for this to happen.

You can of course cancel the booking and make another one elsewhere. That is probably the best option if you find a better deal.

I have had mixed experiences with TAs. Some are more helpful than others, some provide a better customer service. If I am unhappy, I keep my booking but make a point of not using the same TA again even if they have a slightly cheaper offer. I value good service and am happy to pay a small premium.

I beg to differ. A good TA has software that automatically checks for fare reductions daily. As a TA, I not only get an email when a lower price is found, but I also proactively check for my clients on a regular basis - just in case the software missed something. The lower prices are not always as good as they appear (sometimes you would lose $150 in OBC to save $100 on the cruise fare), so the TA needs to double check before offering that savings to the client. If the system is working well, you should get at least the same price and benefits that the cruise line offers plus a much higher level of service.

When I shopped TAs, this was a major deal for ME. For others, it will be amount of OBC.

But you have to ASK if they will check. MANY do not, but will tell you, if you ask.

I travel a lot for work, mainly international, so it is very hard for me to check all the time, so this is a major thing to me. I will give up OBC for this.