Twinrix and dukoral

scrapperv

Hi. 1st time cruiser. Have many people got these vaccines? My hubby is saying we should get the trinrix for hep A and B to protect our selves then I read about dukoral for " travelers diarea" should we be considering them? We are taking a 5 day cruise from FLL with stops in Mexico. Thanks so much.

As others have suggested, talk with your own physician. Twinrix is a decent vaccine, especially if you do not have to pay for it out of pocket. But depending where you cruise one might argue its no more necessary then having it if you stay home. As to Dukaral, I still don;t believe its used in the USA. I recall it was intended as a Cholera shot and is not totally effective, And Cholera is a very low risk disease for cruisers, unless they have a bad habit of drinking tap water in bad places :). If I were a Canadian I might take Dukaral. On the other hand, I live in Mexico part of the year and feel no need to the drug.

Sometimes even we Americans get annoyed with our FDA and their procedures. On the other hand, before anyone knocks the FDA they might want to Google Thalidomide which was another widely approved drug that never passed muster with the FDA. And I recall a popular anti malaria drug (in the UK that never cleared the FDA safety checks.....and was ultimately found to have some nasty side effects. My point is that the FDA is sometimes slow to act because they have tough criteria about medical efficacy vs risk. In the past, their degree of caution has often proven to be a good thing..

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

If Twinrix is covered on your drug plan I would go ahead and get it, it isn't going to hurt, but you probably are not high risk for hepatitis on a cruise, but it can be useful even in the US and Canada - lots of case of hepatitis here too. There is an accelerated dose schedule if needed, but again, that would be up to your doctor to decide whether you would need it or not, even 1 or 2 doses will offer some protection. Dukoral is not covered on many drug plans and is rather expensive (in Canada anyway). We travel quite a bit to land resorts as well as cruises and have not taken Dukoral and luckily have never came down with travellers' diarrhea.

Dukoral in Canada is marketed for diarrhea caused by E. coli and is an oral vaccine, not sure about the Cholera aspect as mentioned by another poster?

Sent from my iPad using Forums