my time - dine with others?

Heyref

We are signed up for my time on Harmony.

We are a couple - is it possible to be seated with a larger group of 6 or 8 at dinner?

Yes, just tell the person at the MTD desk that you would like to share a table with others. You may have to wait a bit for them to find others willing to share.

Not many MTD'ers want to eat with others. One of the traditional dining times might suit you better, if you like tablemates....we enjoy tablemates, too.

again, WRONG. plenty of people have ZERO problem with being seated at larger tables. makes for interesting conversations each night as you end up with new table mates.

Yes I was going to ask on this last cruise on the Mariner they put me on a table with a family of 3. Don't they as a courtesy ask you if you mind sharing first. On the balance I would prefer to eat alone as you never know if you get some awkward table mates. Is it turns out this family was quite chatty and did not ignore me.

On the last night they added 2 more to the table so the table was full. They did not speak to us so

I thing they must felt as awkward as us.

Not many MTD'ers want to eat with others. One of the traditional dining times might suit you better, if you like tablemates....we enjoy tablemates, too.

You have to be kidding, RIGHT.

One of the joys of MTD is to be able to eat with so many others. We just got off the Trans Atlantic crossing of the Jewel. We ate with so many wonderful people from all over the world-- a newlywed couple from Ireland, a retired teacher from Switzerland, a lovely couple from Germany, the 3 wonderful ladies from Hawaii, and so many from all over the USA.

FYI they ALWAYS ask if you are willing to share a table, and with that you are usually seated much quicker. Personally, we like a table for 6 as that way you can talk to everyone, but we take what they give and love it. One night, at a table for 8, we had a couple from California, one from Minn, one from Texas and us from NY. North, South, East and West of the USA and we had a wonderful time, EVERY NITE.

Cheers

Len

MTD is wonderful for dining with your own party, regardless of size OR dining with others at a table, regardless of size. We have been seated at a table for 6 and at a table for 12 with MTD. We have also been seated alone when we asked to be. The choice is the guest's. :) We have never had to wait to share a table.

DH and I have always requested to sit with larger groups even though we sign up for MTD on Royal. We always end up at a table for two (which I always thought were hard to come by). When we've done MTD (or whatever they call it) on Princess and HAL, we've been seated with others. Not sure why we haven't on Royal.

One of the joys of cruising is getting to meet people from all over the world . However it does not always work out that way .On our last cruise we were at a table with 6 strangers . The proverbial question was "where is everyone from." My wife and I replied Long Island ,NY .Everyone else at the table was from Long Island ,NY . We had enjoyable conversation .

I have had mixed experiences with being able to be seated with others at MyTime dining. One cruise we had a large table every evening and ended up being seated with the same people several times throughout the week. We loved that.

Most of the time we have requested a large table, or at least to be seated with a couple of other people, and ended up dining alone. We did not enjoy that as we love to meet our fellow cruisers.

We have decided that MyTme dining is not for us because of these experiences, which seem to be the norm, rather than the exception.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our experience with MTD on several different Royal ships is that the tables for two are so close to one another, that conversations naturally occur with neighboring couples. We have met and gotten to know many wonderful fellow cruisers in this way, without having to sit at a large group table.

Just how many MTD'ers have you interviewed to see if they want to eat with others or not? The big advantage IMO to MTD is being able to eat when you want, and I suspect that is why many book MTD, NOT because they don't want to eat with others since it is possible to request a small table for 2 or 4 at the traditional seatings. Stereotyping is generally never a good thing. :rolleyes:

Edited by Rala
typo

DH and I have always requested to sit with larger groups even though we sign up for MTD on Royal. We always end up at a table for two (which I always thought were hard to come by). When we've done MTD (or whatever they call it) on Princess and HAL, we've been seated with others. Not sure why we haven't on Royal.

Same! I don't know why, we haven't ever been sat at a larger table when doing MTD. I wouldn't mind it and we've requested it but it just hasn't worked out that way.

again, WRONG. plenty of people have ZERO problem with being seated at larger tables. makes for interesting conversations each night as you end up with new table mates.

I had no problem at all being seated with others in MTD on my cruise last month.

One of the joys of MTD is to be able to eat with so many others. We just got off the Trans Atlantic crossing of the Jewel. We ate with so many wonderful people from all over the world-- a newlywed couple from Ireland, a retired teacher from Switzerland, a lovely couple from Germany, the 3 wonderful ladies from Hawaii, and so many from all over the USA.

FYI they ALWAYS ask if you are willing to share a table, and with that you are usually seated much quicker. Personally, we like a table for 6 as that way you can talk to everyone, but we take what they give and love it. One night, at a table for 8, we had a couple from California, one from Minn, one from Texas and us from NY. North, South, East and West of the USA and we had a wonderful time, EVERY NITE.

I always requested a table for 6. Tables for 8 are too big for my liking - you end up talking to those on either side of you but that is all. Those across the table from you are too far away to carry on a decent conversation with.

Once they didn't have a table for 6 but they had a table for 2 which they gave me for 1. My service actually went quicker since I didn't have to wait for anyone else. But I enjoy sharing with others.

On one of our cruises we had traditional dining. Asked for a two top. They said none available and sat us with another couple. Every night they insisted on sitting across from each other by the window. Conversation was awkward. So this cruise we'll be doing MTD.