Where are Your Pool Towels?????

teacherman

Well, the Royal rep called me back last night and said they would be refunding the $100 charge for the towels. So I'm happy now. But I can only imagine how much money they are making off these towels with people who don't pay attention to their bill!

We just got back off Liberty and really the whole towel thing wasn’t at all that complicated. There had to be something more to it because there was no way they were keeping an accurate count of towels.

Sometimes I turned in or took towels without needing to scan my badge. A few times we seemed to magically acquire towels here and there. I’d have 2 towels and turn to look and my kid would have a towel from??? Who knows where!

I just didn’t worry about it. There were so many towels just randomly laying around I figured it would all work out in the end, and it did.

The last day we got a note saying we were short 2 towels and I sent my mom out to turn in 2 more towels. She went down to the towel stand and had it settled in minutes. (I think we actually had a couple in the shower.)

It really wasn’t too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, the Royal rep called me back last night and said they would be refunding the $100 charge for the towels. So I'm happy now. But I can only imagine how much money they are making off these towels with people who don't pay attention to their bill!

You did remind me, I never got a final statement on my Jewel Cruise last May, had them email it to me, No towel charge, I did return my towels at 9pm that last night.

The towel scan thing is something they (all) started about 10 years ago. It's a pain but I totally get why they do it! I can't imagine how many nice beach towels went missing on every cruise. Seriously, I bet back then every suite case had at least one stuffed in it.

Just ask for the balance on your account when you return your last towels. If it's not zero, get it fixed then -- either by telling them you just returned all the towels you had, or by returning chair-hog towels.

Think of it like checking your bank balance at the ATM. That five seconds to confirm your balance right then can save a bunch of time later standing in line to fix the problems that were caused if there was a mistake.

(y)

People laugh but no seriously...DO IT! LOL!! It's so nice people put out a fresh towel at 7am for you! I'm sure it would be fun watching them explain to the towel scanning guy "I put out my towel at 7am but when I came back at 1pm to use the chair the towel was gone!?".

Just ask for the balance on your account when you return your last towels. If it's not zero, get it fixed then -- either by telling them you just returned all the towels you had, or by returning chair-hog towels.

Think of it like checking your bank balance at the ATM. That five seconds to confirm your balance right then can save a bunch of time later standing in line to fix the problems that were caused if there was a mistake.

We tried to do that, but since their system was down they couldn't tell us. But the girl assured us that she had checked our towels back in by noting it on the paper. They didn't actually charge us for the towels until almost midnight, and we had already gone to bed by then. And since our room steward didn't give us a copy of our invoice, we had no idea of the charge when we disembarked. Just a whole comedy of errors! But we learned a lesson, and will probably just bring our own towels from now on. I don't need to deal with that hassle again.

• 3 months later...

This is killing me! NCL makes it so simple, and this is all new to me. Some questions:

1. Can I check out as many towels as I want at once?

2. If I want to exchange for clean towels, do they have an easy way to do this (like I hand them my dirty, they hand me a clean), or do I have to scan the dirties in and scan new clean ones out?

3. Are there towel stations on CocoCay?

4. Are there towel exchanges on the docks when getting back to the ship?

This is killing me! NCL makes it so simple, and this is all new to me. Some questions:

1. Can I check out as many towels as I want at once?

2. If I want to exchange for clean towels, do they have an easy way to do this (like I hand them my dirty, they hand me a clean), or do I have to scan the dirties in and scan new clean ones out?

3. Are there towel stations on CocoCay?

4. Are there towel exchanges on the docks when getting back to the ship?

Yes, you can check out multiple towels at one time. You can replace towels without scanning. No towel stations on Coco Cay, except maybe for the suite area (not sure about that). There are sometimes towel returns (but not exchanges) when you get back on the ship.

I suspect that when the chair hogs grab their towels first thing in the morning, when there is no one there to scan their seapass. If they had been scanned they would not likely be so inclined to leave then unattended. Or, could it be that 90 % of those in line on the final night to get the charges removed are chair hogs whose towels were taken by others?

Have had the same issue on Magesty.

Charge on the last day for 2 towels, $50.

Maybe they printed the bill too early.

I went to the pool deck and checked, their laptop showed no towels out under my room.

I picked up 10 towels on my way there and asked him to credit the 10 to my room account, an easy $250 I thought.

He just laughed, it doesn't work that way sir.

Might be a good way to stop the Chogs, if people can get $25 per towel then no one is going to leave them out on a lounger ;)

There are always lots of clean towels on deck chairs around the pool in the morning. Next time just take a couple of those and you're good to go for the week.

Your on to something here. Putting the cost of the towels on the Chair Hogs accounts.

Who would have thought that towels would be an issue... What the heck??? I've sailed on CCL and NCL and never once have I been charged for a towel. We always had beach towels in our room and when we would toss them in the bathroom for our room steward he would replace them with clean towels. If we checked towels out by the pool then those had to be returned to the pool or risk a charge but on day 7 we had no clue what towel went where so they all got tossed in the floor and no charge appeared. So the question is do we take our own towels and take up a tremendous amount of space and weight in our luggage? I will need to take 4 towels. That's a lot. Or do we take the risk of being charged $100 in turn taking up a significant amount of our vacation time arguing the charge? Herein lies the dilemma. I know I know--First world problems. LOL

Who would have thought that towels would be an issue... What the heck??? I've sailed on CCL and NCL and never once have I been charged for a towel. We always had beach towels in our room and when we would toss them in the bathroom for our room steward he would replace them with clean towels. If we checked towels out by the pool then those had to be returned to the pool or risk a charge but on day 7 we had no clue what towel went where so they all got tossed in the floor and no charge appeared. So the question is do we take our own towels and take up a tremendous amount of space and weight in our luggage? I will need to take 4 towels. That's a lot. Or do we take the risk of being charged $100 in turn taking up a significant amount of our vacation time arguing the charge? Herein lies the dilemma. I know I know--First world problems. LOL

Getting charged accidentally is the exception, not the norm. Don't worry about it if you follow the rules. In the odd chance they accidentally charge you go to guest services or the pool deck. We've never been accidentally charged.

Dan