Silly Question - What Precautions Do You Take to Avoid Getting Sick on Cruise

taylortime05

I get close to and play with many small children starting about a month before. This way all the germs will be in my system before I head to the ship. I also only wash my hands when I really need to. I believe the more you are exposed to germs the less likely you get sick......

Of course I am just kidding. when on board I use the hand sanitizers and "Washy Washy". I just keep mindful of things and I have survived so far. I have had Cruise cough once that last for a few weeks after the cruise...

We always bring several days of antibiotics and packets of Emergen-C to take.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is not a bad idea. I also learned the hard way on my last cruise to bring extra band aids and some antibiotic ointment. I received an injury just prior to getting on the ship. Thank goodness, there was a wonderful gal sitting next to me as we are waiting to board the ship. She had a complete supply of band aides and gave me a couple. Yes, she posts here and I will say to her again, Thanks Alice. I do carry a supply of tummy meds in case I get upset one way or the other. I still do not spend time worrying about picking up germs. I just use common sense.

That is not a bad idea. I also learned the hard way on my last cruise to bring extra band aids and some antibiotic ointment. I received an injury just prior to getting on the ship. Thank goodness, there was a wonderful gal sitting next to me as we are waiting to board the ship. She had a complete supply of band aides and gave me a couple. Yes, she posts here and I will say to her again, Thanks Alice. I do carry a supply of tummy meds in case I get upset one way or the other. I still do not spend time worrying about picking up germs. I just use common sense.

We carry a virtual mini medicine cabinet. Tums, triple antibiotic cream, band aids, scissors, tweezers, Alka Seltzer Plus, allergy pills SolarCaine, powder among other items. Never know, be prepared.

Being Positive makes life better. Look for the Good not the Bad

Spray down the stateroom (phone-light switches-door handles-bathroom-everything that has probably bee touched before) with Alpet D2 before settling in. Takes all of 5 minutes and kills NORO.

Wash hands often

Use hand sanitizer once you are seated and remember the chair you are sitting in has probably never had the arm rests sanitized so use it once you are comfortably seated.

18 years on cruises and thankfully never had a problem.

Not germophobic just cautious.

bosco

Spray down the stateroom (phone-light switches-door handles-bathroom-everything that has probably bee touched before) with Alpet D2 before settling in. Takes all of 5 minutes and kills NORO.

Wash hands often

Use hand sanitizer once you are seated and remember the chair you are sitting in has probably never had the arm rests sanitized so use it once you are comfortably seated.

18 years on cruises and thankfully never had a problem.

Not germophobic just cautious.

bosco

LOL...sorry but you have now been diagnosed as germaphobic along with several others in this thread. Apologies for breaking the news to you. ;p

To answer the original question. I wash my hands a lot. At the buffet, I always get my hands spayed by the "washy washy" person.

And I am careful what I eat on shore. Except for one bad cold, I have never been sick on a cruise.

I take hand wipes along with me....rub down the most used spaces in the cabin. You could carry those with you or a mini hand sanitizer bottle (keep it in a small purse for onboard use, or in a pocket) if you are worried about your room card after someone else is handling it. I would think staff would be even more diligent in cleanliness. They certainly don't want to get sick on the job.

We always bring several days of antibiotics and packets of Emergen-C to take.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, Emergen-C. Wash hands after you get all your food fro the buffet if you plan on eating with your hands. Try not to touch common areas with your fingers like elevator buttons.

If you drink hot tea in the dining rooms, request that the waiter/asst. do not put the bags in the pot. Do that yourself. They are constantly clearing tables and not re-sanitizing their hands.

Edited by IrieBajan54
add word