Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy?

Kingofcool1947

I find that Cracker Barrel has the best CFS on any chain style restaurant we have ever been in. I like it, but I have had much better in many small family run restaurants.

I absolutely agree!! :D

However, I remember a small, roadside place way down in Southern Georgis - can't for the life of me remember the name - but the CFS was OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! It was served with mashed potatoes, gravy, Turnip Greens and beans with ham.

Honestly, I thought I had died and gone to Heaven!!

Everyone wants to go to Heaven, but no one wants to die. I agree with you Potstech. I hear from the vegetarians that eating meat is killing me. My answer back to them is that vegetarians die too. :halo:

I had to laugh when I was told I had "5 lbs. of undigested red meat in my colon" from eating meat. I asked if they had ever prepped for and then had a colonoscopy. Apparently the doctors must have missed it somehow... :rolleyes:

I have no problems with vegetarians or vegans. I've eaten some pretty decent vegetarian and vegan meals. My wife worked for a guy who was a vegan and he threw a Christmas party for the staff and spouses, children, etc. every year. (He's Jewish but what the heck. :)) He always had it catered and the vegan food varied from "ho hum" to "dang that's good!".

I eat meat but eat a lot less beef than I used to. These days it's some beef but more pork and chicken. Bacon though... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Bacon is my favorite fruit! ;p

I figure if I hear the alarm clock in the morning I made it through the night. Bring on the day.

GAH!!! Alarm clocks. About the only time I hear an alarm clock is when we have to get up early to make it to the cruise port or for an excursion. When I was going to retire people asked me what I was going to do and I told them one thing I was not going to do was get up in the dark and cold just because some stupid clock told me to. I absolutely love being retired. :D:D:D

GAH!!! Alarm clocks. About the only time I hear an alarm clock is when we have to get up early to make it to the cruise port or for an excursion. When I was going to retire people asked me what I was going to do and I told them one thing I was not going to do was get up in the dark and cold just because some stupid clock told me to. I absolutely love being retired. :D:D:D

Same with my DW and myself.....both retired and I HATE getting up early!!! For 50 years I was up at 4:30 AM.....never again!!

Now? Whenever the hell we get up is when we get up..... Love it!! :D

Bacon though... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Bacon is my favorite fruit! ;p

Some say that Bacon will kill you (due to carcinogenics), however there is a new Bacon in town (UK anyway) which is free of nitrates. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/safer-nitrite-free-bacon-to-be-sold-in-british-supermarkets-in-january-2018_uk_5a460080e4b025f99e1ac746

Naked Bacon, look for it soon.

It's funny (when you think about it)...My folks were teenagers during the Depression - but fortunately, both of their parents were fairly well established (in a sense). My Father's parents were successful dairy farmers and my Mother's parents (Father) was a Captain on the Fire Department.

One of my Dad's favorite dishes was to take a glass of milk, put 6-7 pats of butter in it - then put bread on top of that and eat it. I asked him one day if he knew that "combination" would kill him and he answered me by saying -" Son, there were many times during the Depression that this was all we had to eat, and we were grateful to have it."

Then he said something that I have never forgotten to this day: "Son, SOMETHING will kill every human, it's part of living. When I die, I will go with a full stomach". He lived to be 92.

I now live by that mantra.....something will kill us all.....might as well be good food!!!! :D

Select one:

Die of cancer

Die of an aneurism

Die of a coronary

Die peacefully in your sleep of old age.

Enjoy your cruise. And, the food you choose to eat. :)

Some say that Bacon will kill you (due to carcinogenics), however there is a new Bacon in town (UK anyway) which is free of nitrates. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/safer-nitrite-free-bacon-to-be-sold-in-british-supermarkets-in-january-2018_uk_5a460080e4b025f99e1ac746

Naked Bacon, look for it soon.

Apparently its cured with fruit juices and things rather than nitrates.Probably will be a lot dearer than "proper" bacon,lol.

If it would be anything like their biscuits and gravy offering No Thanks.

You mean those hockey pucks that are passed off as biscuits??? They simply dry out and get progressively harder when sitting in an open pan on the steam table. Unless you arrive at the buffet within 5 minutes of the full breakfast offering being put out, they are so brick-like as to be a danger to your teeth, even with a generous smothering with the so called "bacon gravy".

I love GOOD biscuits and gravy .... the operative word being "good". Princess' version does not make the cut.

I have no problems with vegetarians or vegans. I've eaten some pretty decent vegetarian and vegan meals. My wife worked for a guy who was a vegan and he threw a Christmas party for the staff and spouses, children, etc. every year. (He's Jewish but what the heck. :)) He always had it catered and the vegan food varied from "ho hum" to "dang that's good!".

;p

What his his religion have to do with anything, you don't need to add racist comments

I am also retired and use the alarm clock to awaken me when I decide I want to get up. Sometimes I take great pleasure in turning it off and going back to sleep. This way I control the clock not it control me.

I'm retired and I don't even know how to set the alarm.

Ah, the old food debate.

I didn't think Waffle House had CFS, but I see that at least by the internet, they do. Never had it there. I've had it some pretty good places (I'm sure you've never heard of Babe's, but it's the size of your plate), and I've had it in some pretty lousy places (any truck stop). Keep in mind that, like most cultures, the item was designed to use up pretty poor quality meat. Think fajitas, for example. The meat in a CFS is pretty tough, and it's prepared in a way to make the almost-inedible edible.

I didn't grow up in the south, but I can eat greats. That is, if I can get some butter and syrup. Growing up dirt-poor, my mother frequently made corn meal mush. Slice it, fry it, put on butter and syrup. Same idea, and, actually, pretty close to the same taste.

The biscuits for sausage gravy and biscuits are supposed to be dry and hard. How else are they going to be anything but mush under the gravy?

Wow... Being from the South, I have, at times, enjoyed Southern Fried Steak and Gravy.

No, you would not use Filet for this. But, it is most def. not 'almost inedible'.

I have also enjoyed grits. And, like other Southern/Country dishes, they are best when prepared correctly, by somebody who knows how to prepare them. (which would not be the Int'l staff on a cruise ship) And, really, there is just no such thing as 'Quick Grits'.

And, NO, good (Southern/Country) biscuits are never, never, 'hard'. Not even when served with gravy.

If anyone here, especially those not from the South, want a really good Country Fried Steak and Gravy, or excellent Grits, or proper biscuits... Don't book a cruise... Y'all just let me know... Come on over and sit a spell !!!!!

Wow... Being from the South, I have, at times, enjoyed Southern Fried Steak and Gravy.

No, you would not use Filet for this. But, it is most def. not 'almost inedible'.

I have also enjoyed grits. And, like other Southern/Country dishes, they are best when prepared correctly, by somebody who knows how to prepare them. (which would not be the Int'l staff on a cruise ship) And, really, there is just no such thing as 'Quick Grits'.

And, NO, good (Southern/Country) biscuits are never, never, 'hard'. Not even when served with gravy.

If anyone here, especially those not from the South, want a really good Country Fried Steak and Gravy, or excellent Grits, or proper biscuits... Don't book a cruise... Y'all just let me know... Come on over and sit a spell !!!!!

The Loveless Cafe in Nashville make really good biscuits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk