What to do in Bonaire?

fifthending

Hello,

I am headed to Bonaire in a few days with RCL and was wondering what those of you who have been did on the island. From what I've read online there doesn't seem to be a whole lot there...I know diving is very popular but none of us have a certificate. We were looking into kayaking in the mangroves (seems like fun but also hot and sticky, includes a snorkeling bit but reviews said it wasn't great), learning to windsurf at lac bay, or heading go klein bonaire and going snorkeling. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks!

Last time I was there, we rented a car. We drove through the donkey sanctuary, up to the north part of the island to see the flamingos, went around the south end past the salt flats and lighthouse, and then spent the rest of our time hanging out at Lac Bay. It was an awesome day.

Lac Bay is beautiful. You can walk out about 100 yards in waist deep water. There's a great little beach bar and restaurant there. In fact, I wish we had more time to spend there. It was post card perfect.

There's a Hertz at the Divi Flamingo resort, right next to the cruise ship pier.

Just a suggestion. Enjoy whatever you choose. Bonaire is my favorite Caribbean island.

Bonaire is all about the activities in the marine sanctuary. But if you want to snorkel, Klein bonaire is where you want to go, from what we've heard. We did a ship excursion, something we rarely do, which took small groups through the mangroves on small zodiacs. We say a couple of kayak groups while we were there. Surprisingly not that hot and sticky. Probably because of the breeze. It was one of the highlights of the cruise for us. Even saw a few turtles in Lac Bay.

We have long sang the praises of going out with Dee on the Woodwind for a few hours of snorkeling. But folks need to understand that her trimaran boat can only handle a limited number of folks and she often will book-up many months in advance. Another really fun option is to rent a golf cart (gasoline powered and street approved) to drive around part of the island. You do need a valid drivers license to get a golf cart.

For those who have not made solid plans, there will be a group of tour vendors just outside the port (they set up small tents between the two cruise ship piers). If you do want to book something (locally) try to be among the early folks off the ship since this gives you more time (and options) and tours can book-up.

Hank