Another Sale; Another Price Increase!

Lastdance

This really seems to be the norm with Celebrity, along with its 20% off of certain dinner packages and tours. So now we have refundable and non-refundable, raise in gratuities, many different promos/sales and some pretty big price increases...I guess we all need to get even more savvy on when and how we book! How do you feel about all of this, as it is the sign of the times, along with supply and demand?

Edited by Lastdance
Don't Cry For Me Argentina!

Hmmmm...I feel that I’m not going to kill myself slippin’ and slidden’ to try to beat Celebrity. My husband is 80, we’re never going to do non-refundable because you know...old. Who knows what can happen. We don’t care about drinks package because, see above old and don’t drink much, and we’re elite so we either get the elite cocktail hours or the vouchers and that’s plenty for us. We usually book onboard and then transfer to a TA. We ALWAYS buy our own travel insurance because...yes! you get it...old. On our last booking, we got drinks pkg and gratuities and an extra $450 OBC from TA so that covers a lot. If we didn’t get the drinks pkg as a perk, the obc from TA would cover any lunch time beer for my husband.

I do check twice a week for price drops. That’s about it. If the original booking is in our budget and where we want to go, then we jump on it. This seems to keep our life pretty simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by dana77kc

How do you feel about all of this, as it is the sign of the times, along with supply and demand?

How do I feel, in no particular order...

RCL are a corporation that only exists to make profits for its shareholders. Without that reason its three cruise lines simply wouldn't exist.

If they could get away with charging $1000 per person per night for an inside cabin they'd charge it. Thankfully some competition from other lines prevents them from doing this.

In areas where their is little to no competition, don't ever expect prices to decrease or expect to find a great bargain on the $ rater per person per night etc. Think Caribbean vs Galapagos.

Three years ago RCL announced their strategy to try and thwart the bargain hunters. You can get an idea about how they try and manipulate prices by reading this :-

http://www.rclcorporate.com/the-discipline-behind-double-double/

However it's not always successful in areas where they struggle to fight market forces. The Caribbean would be a good example due to huge competition. They do drop prices after final payment considerably in some cases. #

For me I have a $$ rate per night in mind for suites and one for balconies that I'm happy to pay. I'd add premiums for certain itineraries, peak times and added perks etc. If a cruise with an appealing itinerary appears and pricing is within my numbers it might just get booked.

I have a strategy which involves around 5 minutes to check three websites which helps scour deals months in advance. When one appears on the radar I then use a third party price monitoring website to track it and see what happens.

Celebrity's marketing department is completely disingenuous and not to be trusted at all. The fake 'buy one get one half price' sales are a joke and arguably should be outlawed IMHO as they're almost lying to you.

But everyone needs to remember that we all have choices. If you don't like a price, just don't book and do something else. What ever you do, don't make the schoolboy error of becoming a slave to any loyalty program. The added value you might receive in perks could be a fraction of the cost you overpaid by sticking with a line because you didn't sail with other people.

There are bargains still to be had, you just need to develop your own system to find them and use it regularly. I'm sure there are thousands of forum members who do that daily.

I'm very thankful to the team at Cruise Critic who's product has taught me to save a lot of money in recent years. I bet Richard Fain and Lisa Lutroff-Perlo wished they could moderate these boards at times! :D

It’s not just Celebrity & Royal, the same and more nickel & dime charges on some others.

Price increases for less are happening everywhere. Dentist increased price of teeth cleaning 15% and no more free toothbrush, toothpaste & floss.

Retail has had 3 prices for years initial price, higher price pre sale & sale price very similar to initial price.

I book a trip when I see something I like and at a price I am willing to pay.

Life is too short to look back at what was, we enjoy what is in front of us.

And then...

With the new promo my mother re-booked some 2019 cruises for a savings of $440.00 total. She already had the "Go Best" from a previous promo, but the price is now lower than it was.

Harris

Denver, CO

I have a strategy which involves around 5 minutes to check three websites which helps scour deals months in advance. When one appears on the radar I then use a third party price monitoring website to track it and see what happens.

I'm very thankful to the team at Cruise Critic who's product has taught me to save a lot of money in recent years. I bet Richard Fain and Lisa Lutroff-Perlo wished they could moderate these boards at times! :D

Is it possible to share which websites you use? -Brandy

I have no problem with how they do things, as most other stores, as it were, do the same thing, unless they are truly going out of business.

There are other ways to travel, if this is not suitable to you.

These types of things always upsets people around here, and I do sympathize with them to a degree.

If we see something we like, we book, we sail, we enjoy ourselves, we look for the next sailing and start the process all over again... ;p

There are times when we think prices might be a bit high, yet we book, watch for reductions, either they happen or not, yet we sail, we enjoy ourselves, we look for the next sailing and start the process all over again...

In a few years we think we will take a land trip, but we will see when that time rolls around..

bon voyage

Hmmmm...I feel that I’m not going to kill myself slippin’ and slidden’ to try to beat Celebrity. My husband is 80, we’re never going to do non-refundable because you know...old. Who knows what can happen. We don’t care about drinks package because, see above old and don’t drink much, and we’re elite so we either get the elite cocktail hours or the vouchers and that’s plenty for us. We usually book onboard and then transfer to a TA. We ALWAYS buy our own travel insurance because...yes! you get it...old. On our last booking, we got drinks pkg and gratuities and an extra $450 OBC from TA so that covers a lot. If we didn’t get the drinks pkg as a perk, the obc from TA would cover any lunch time beer for my husband.

I do check twice a week for price drops. That’s about it. If the original booking is in our budget and where we want to go, then we jump on it. This seems to keep our life pretty simple.

Your post made me giggle. We're right behind you, old.....:D

My wife and I are long-time cruisers and we have loved it, but the nickle-and-dimming has just gotten to be too much. And for us, we would happily pay more for a cruise that didn't nickle-and dime, but of the mainstream cruiselines, it just doesn't exist anymore. Yes there are the "luxury" lines but we are not looking for luxury, and they really don't go in the direction we are looking for. We are not looking to be pampered, were just sick and tired of paying a bunch for a cruise, then having to pay more at every turn.

We decided to take a break from cruising and instead go on some small-group land tour. Or first is with Overseas Adventure Tours to Japan, which we haven't taken yet. Overall, I'd say the cost comparable to a balcony on a cruise, especially if you add the cost of excursions. It includes airfare, transfers, all breakfasts, and maybe half of the other meals. It will be nice to see more of the country, rather just spending most of your time on an excursion with only 2 - 3 hours of actual touring.

I'm hoping the cruise companies will see the problem, when many long-time cruisers leave, but honestly, I don't think they really care. As long as they can keep filling their boats with newbies, they care little about making your experience memorable, and more about making sure each guest contributes to their bottom-line.

Edited by ano

RCL are a corporation that only exists to make profits for its shareholders. Without that reason its three cruise lines simply wouldn't exist.

If they could get away with charging $1000 per person per night for an inside cabin they'd charge it. Thankfully some competition from other lines prevents them from doing this.

In areas where their is little to no competition, don't ever expect prices to decrease or expect to find a great bargain on the $ rater per person per night etc. Think Caribbean vs Galapagos.

Three years ago RCL announced their strategy to try and thwart the bargain hunters. You can get an idea about how they try and manipulate prices by reading this :-

http://www.rclcorporate.com/the-discipline-behind-double-double/

However it's not always successful in areas where they struggle to fight market forces. The Caribbean would be a good example due to huge competition. They do drop prices after final payment considerably in some cases. #

For me I have a $$ rate per night in mind for suites and one for balconies that I'm happy to pay. I'd add premiums for certain itineraries, peak times and added perks etc. If a cruise with an appealing itinerary appears and pricing is within my numbers it might just get booked.

Celebrity's marketing department is completely disingenuous and not to be trusted at all. The fake 'buy one get one half price' sales are a joke and arguably should be outlawed IMHO as they're almost lying to you.

But everyone needs to remember that we all have choices. If you don't like a price, just don't book and do something else. What ever you do, don't make the schoolboy error of becoming a slave to any loyalty program. The added value you might receive in perks could be a fraction of the cost you overpaid by sticking with a line because you didn't sail with other people.

There are bargains still to be had, you just need to develop your own system to find them and use it regularly. I'm sure there are thousands of forum members who do that daily.

Great post! I thought I was a savvy shopper. You've taught me a few tips!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Forums mobile app

My wife and I are long-time cruisers and we have loved it, but the nickle-and-dimming has just gotten to be too much. And for us, we would happily pay more for a cruise that didn't nickle-and dime, but of the mainstream cruiselines, it just doesn't exist anymore. Yes there are the "luxury" lines but we are not looking for luxury, and they really don't go in the direction we are looking for. We are not looking to be pampered, were just sick and tired of paying a bunch for a cruise, then having to pay more at every turn.

We decided to take a break from cruising and instead go on some small-group land tour. Or first is with Overseas Adventure Tours to Japan, which we haven't taken yet. Overall, I'd say the cost comparable to a balcony on a cruise, especially if you add the cost of excursions. It includes airfare, transfers, all breakfasts, and maybe half of the other meals. It will be nice to see more of the country, rather just spending most of your time on an excursion with only 2 - 3 hours of actual touring.

I'm hoping the cruise companies will see the problem, when many long-time cruisers leave, but honestly, I don't think they really care. As long as they can keep filling their boats with newbies, they care little about making your experience memorable, and more about making sure each guest contributes to their bottom-line.

With regard to your last paragraph...I totally agree with you, they don’t care if anyone leaves or not. The old saying is, “a dog will only lick you ‘til you’re cold. There are lots of new cruisers out there waiting to jump onboard.

Your certainly right about not becoming a slave to a loyalty program, but most of your post is about finding the cheapest price, and I see very little about searching out for a quality product. Cruiselines are doing exactly what you want, they are giving you a very low cruise price, and making up the difference with nickle-and-dimming, as well as lowing the quality of the product you get. This is EXACTLY why I will not be cruising again for a while.

Just think, you are headed toward exactly where you are pushing the cruise industry to become. Maybe your cruise in 5 years will be completely free, but they will just charge you for EVERYTHING. There will be room charges, and each meal with cost money. Oh you want your room cleaned, $$$$, or see a show, $$$$, but just think how low the cruise will be priced. Want to take a tender to port, $$$$, or go in the pool, there will be a charge for that, and of course luggage charges and won't that be fun? Do you not realize they are playing you with the "bargains?" They are milking you all the way to the bank. You are the exact cruise customer they are catering to.

Edited by ano

Don't be looking for anything to change for quite some time. With the economy heating up and expected to remain strong for quite some time, people will be booking at whatever price the three RCL lines throw at them.

Maybe not savvy CC members but there are a ton more who never logged in here but book cruises. As long as the stock continues to perform with returns, I'll keep my shares. So thank you very much for booking at these inflated prices. :rolleyes:

Your certainly right about not becoming a slave to a loyalty program, but most of your post is about finding the cheapest price, and I see very little about searching out for a quality product. Cruiselines are doing exactly what you want, they are giving you a very low cruise price, and making up the difference with nickle-and-dimming, as well as lowing the quality of the product you get. This is EXACTLY why I will not be cruising again for a while.

Just think, you are headed toward exactly where you are pushing the cruise industry to become. Maybe your cruise in 5 years will be completely free, but they will just charge you for EVERYTHING. There will be room charges, and each meal with cost money. Oh you want your room cleaned, $$$$, or see a show, $$$$, but just think how low the cruise will be priced. Want to take a tender to port, $$$$, or go in the pool, there will be a charge for that, and of course luggage charges and won't that be fun? Do you not realize they are playing you with the "bargains?" They are milking you all the way to the bank. You are the exact cruise customer they are catering to.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried and have clearly misunderstood the point I've made. :)

My thoughts on the current nickel and diming are well documented with my historical posts. And as I've spent quite a few weeks at sea with Celebrity within the last 18 months I understand exactly what is and what is no longer included. I know what additions I'll have to pay for in order to give me the cruise I want, which is exactly why I can assign a dollar value per night depending on the class of cabin.

Some itineraries seem very bad value to me and I'd simply never book them, but others do offer both a sensible price and a quality product.

What you need to understand is that the quality product can be had for a good to very good price for those prepared to put the effort into their searches. This is completely serpate to the point you are making. Hopefully, you'll understand.

I booked the Equinox for Jan,2019 a couple of days ago. After reading this thread, I went to check the prices. Balcony went up $150.00, and Concierge $200.00. It's funny, because went I went to book on line, the price for a C3 was $989.00. But went it went to paying, the price jumped to $1199.00. I called Celebrity , and wound up paying the $989.00. No expaination was given, and I didn't push it, since I paid what I wanted. Now, with the sail, it is $1199.00, so I guess on their wonderful web site, they were pre pricing. LOL.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried and have clearly misunderstood the point I've made. :)

My thoughts on the current nickel and diming are well documented with my historical posts. And as I've spent quite a few weeks at sea with Celebrity within the last 18 months I understand exactly what is and what is no longer included. I know what additions I'll have to pay for in order to give me the cruise I want, which is exactly why I can assign a dollar value per night depending on the class of cabin.

Some itineraries seem very bad value to me and I'd simply never book them, but others do offer both a sensible price and a quality product.

What you need to understand is that the quality product can be had for a good to very good price for those prepared to put the effort into their searches. This is completely serpate to the point you are making. Hopefully, you'll understand.

Totally agree. We are budget travelers and with that base cost in mind you can pretty much know what the add ons should cost for your comfort zone. We also base most decisions on itinerary. VtG has the best search engine and my search starts there as you can search cruiseline, destinations, dates or price/discount parameters as you wish. Then I search everywhere!

m - Bravo!

bon voyage

I understand and support the concept that RCL should be trying to maximize their profits to benefit their shareholders but the problem is the floating base price of the cruises. Sure there will be changes in the price of a cruise as the cabins fill or perhaps decrease if the cruise isn't selling as well as they expected but the problem is the price increase before they announce a sale or add benefits. It's a lie to call it a price decrease if they also reduce included perks or free perks if the price increased. Many of us are tired of the need to perform truth checks on every new Celebrity promotion.

I applaud RCL's efforts to eliminate large last minute discounts. Nothing will change until we take our cruise and vacation dollars to other cruise lines or vacation options. We only have ourselves too blame if RCL is successful in their current marketing strategy. I think it's time to try other cruise lines.

Celebrity's pricing has caused us to look elsewhere. When X's 2019 Transatlantic itineraries were released, we decided to book the Transatlantic with Oceania which has more interesting ports and reportedly has better food and service. Then yesterday, our TA talked us into joining him on a 2019 Transatlantic with Royal Caribbean in the same timeframe (April) in an Owner's Suite. The cost of the RC Owner's Suite (582 sq ft room + 154 balcony) + equivalence of Olife perks (w/o air) comes out to about the same as what we have booked with Oceania in a balcony. We would have stayed with Oceania but decided to give RC Owner's Suite a try. Even RC is giving X a run for the money.

Edited by CEOofVacation

You may have an entirely different experience & I hope you do. We tried a Royal after a 5 year hiatus a couple of week ago- never again!

On the plus side ship was beautiful and well maintained, the veranda cabin & balcoy felt bigger & more roomy than an equivalent size cabin on X. The entertainment is way above X. We rarely go to the theater on X (maybe 2-3 times in a 14 night cruise). On our 7 night Royal Cruise we went to & enjoyed 3 shows plus a afternoon ice show.

The downside- early December cruise & ship had over 600 kids & sailed at full capacity 4,000+. IMHO food was marginal at best, ship was crowded & loud. Windjammer was a zoo, felt like we were in the middle of a feeding frenzy and the food was way too salty. There were a few bright spots among the crew but the majority never smiled or acted like they were doing anything more than going through the motions to get a check.

Smoking in the casino is a no go for us. The smell of smoke infiltrated the Schooner Bar, Photo area & Boleros. So even if the food were better, ship less crowded, fewer kids and a happier crew we won’t sail Royal again as long as there is smoking inside.

This really seems to be the norm with Celebrity, along with its 20% off of certain dinner packages and tours. So now we have refundable and non-refundable, raise in gratuities, many different promos/sales and some pretty big price increases...I guess we all need to get even more savvy on when and how we book! How do you feel about all of this, as it is the sign of the times, along with supply and demand?

EVERY single "promotion" and/or "sale" ever concocted by the expert scam artists and professional shysters in Celebrity's marketing department, is a case study in the philosophy of PT Barnum. Yet every year, hundreds of thousands of people fall for the hype and race each other to future cruise offices on Celebrity ships and are quickly parted from their money. Bless all those folks...that's why my RCL stock has almost quadrupled in price in the last five years... but it's also why the number of nights that I cruised with Celebrity in the last 12 months was only 14, while I cruised 73 nights with other lines in that same period.

Sadly, my days of cruising Celebrity for only $40pp/night may indeed be gone. (and there were more than 150 of those nights) There ARE still some fairly good deals to be found on occasion, but almost all are now only available by booking after final payment. I have found that the sweet spot for best deals is quite often 75 days, down to 40 days before sail away.

The information/strategy in the post by Mynki is your best bet... it is exactly what I do, and I just returned from a 13 night transatlantic in an ocean view cabin on RCCL's Jewel OTS for $531pp... (plus taxes and tips) and still got $200 OBC. Their Diamond Lounge free drinks last for three and half hours as opposed to only two hours in Celebrity's Elite Lounge. Just a couple of reasons why Royal got 106 nights of my cruise business in the last 18 months.

Do you not realize they are playing you with the "bargains?" They are milking you all the way to the bank. You are the exact cruise customer they are catering to.

If you are "searching out for a quality product..." the likes of Crystal, Silversea, Oceania, Regent and Seabourn await you... and your wallet.

Some cruise lines, and it seems Celebrity in particular... are most certainly not catering to me, but to people who are willing to spend at least three times, and up to/over ten times more per person per night than I am. I absolutely LOVE everyone booking CC, AQ, Sky, Royal and Penthouse Suites. THAT is where the increase in my stock price is coming from. The cruise lines can attempt to nickel and dime me all they want... but I simply don't buy.

Edited by teecee60

Sadly, my days of cruising Celebrity for only $40pp/night may indeed be gone. (and there were more than 150 of those nights) There ARE still some fairly good deals to be found on occasion, but almost all are now only available by booking after final payment. I have found that the sweet spot for best deals is quite often 75 days, down to 40 days before sail away.

Connie 15 night repo cruise April next year, inside cabins work out at almost exactly $50 pppn with a semi interesting itinerary. $77 if you want a balcony. So yeah, they can still be found. Just! :D

Almost no inventory left though.