Carnival posts strong 4th qtr earniongs and stronger projection for 18

jimbo5544

It was a bit scary that they are focused on saving costs and expect to save 80 million next year vs 100 million this year. I hope they don't make a bunch more cutbacks, especially to food and staff levels.

Well, given that they are looking to maintain only a modest capacity growth at a time when worldwide capacity is growing quite fast with the introduction of new lines (Virgin) and lots of new ships (Viking and others), in order to keep the ships full they have to keep fares down, so the only place to improve profits is then operating costs.

Well, given that they are looking to maintain only a modest capacity growth at a time when worldwide capacity is growing quite fast with the introduction of new lines (Virgin) and lots of new ships (Viking and others), in order to keep the ships full they have to keep fares down, so the only place to improve profits is then operating costs.

Wish they'd charge a little more to be honest.

In the highly competitive 21st century economy, lean and mean is the way to go not just for cruise lines but pretty much in all industries. Those who can't or won't keep up are going to find themselves in trouble and fall by the wayside.

Exactly.... other lines they own add to the profit

They do, but to break it down further is tough. Carnival by itself is the largest cruise line in the world. RCI is more than Royal and NCL is more than Norwegian.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Pulling numbers out of the air here but if I am guessing right just the 2.00 a day cheers increase will bring in almost 20 million

They sure would like that, if true, LOL. I would have to say your numbers should have stayed on the air.

They sure would like that, if true, LOL. I would have to say your numbers should have stayed on the air.

OK, so I did a little more guessing here.

Carnival states that they sail full every sailing. ( I know BS) but lets say it's true. I came up with 66,400 people sailing everyday.(I know that ships will be in dry and other things will happen) I would guess that 25 to 30% (This might be a little high) of passengers buy cheers. (again a total guess) That means at 25%, everyday there is 16,600 people on cheers a cross the fleet and 30% it would be 19,920. So with that in mind the daily take on the 2 dollar raise in cheers would be at 25% $33,200.00 a day and $12,118,000.00 per year at 30% it would be $39,840.00 per day and $14,541,600.00. Not bad for just a $2.00 a day raise. This is only for Carnival line I don't know if any other lines are raising prices.

Carnival states that they sail full every sailing. ( I know BS) but lets say it's true. I came up with 66,400 people sailing everyday.(I know that ships will be in dry and other things will happen) I would guess that 25 to 30% (This might be a little high) of passengers buy cheers. (again a total guess) That means at 25%, everyday there is 16,600 people on cheers a cross the fleet and 30% it would be 19,920. So with that in mind the daily take on the 2 dollar raise in cheers would be at 25% $33,200.00 a day and $12,118,000.00 per year at 30% it would be $39,840.00 per day and $14,541,600.00. Not bad for just a $2.00 a day raise. This is only for Carnival line I don't know if any other lines are raising prices.

I believe the pricing is going up or has very recently increased for Princess as well. At the minimum, Princess is beginning to institute a 15 drink maximum just like Carnival.

I will ask around with some mgt types at Carnival and see if I can get an estimate of the average of cheers buyers per cruise.