Any tips for first Timer trying Princess on the Crown Princess?

jewliana

I have gotten SO much useful information from these boards as I have cruised over the past few years so I wanted to ask you if there are any special tips for a first time Princess Cruiser?

Thanks in advance for your help!

We are going to have a suite- is there somewhere special for lunch on embarkation day?

In particular we are going without a drink package for the 1st time. It was just too expensive! I purchased a small bottle for my husband to be delivered and we will bring 1 bottles of wine. Are there any drink specials throughout the cruise?

Anything I should know about getting seats at various entertainment venues? How early do we need to get there?

Anything we should NOT miss on the menus?

Do they make a good hamburger and hot dog somewhere on board?

Is there a specialty drink we should not miss?

Welcome to Princess.....we will be aboard the Crown in Feb to the ABC's......as suite guests you may be able to access the lounge up on top each evening 5-7pm for reduced drinks and appetizers available to platinum/elite guests. Lunch for embarkation is available in one dining room until around 1-2pm.....as suite guests you might have one in the Crown Grill which also has breakfast for you each morning. Do try the Princess chocolate dream dessert, a heart shaped chocolate mousse dessert to die for. The theater is large enough but I'd get to popular shows 20 minutes early. Enjoy your cruise.

I forgot ....good burgers and hot dogs on pool deck grill......they usually offer 2 for 1 drink specials in certain lounges during your cruise. If you like decent coffee do get a coffee card so you can enjoy good brewed coffee from the shop down next to the International cafe.

My tip: don't expect everything to be perfect. Be flexible. Things will be great, but they won't be perfect.

The show around 8pm - get there about 30-40 minutes early.

Drink Packages - you have to drink an awful lot to make them worth it. Totally agree with you not getting one. We have never been able to make them a viable option.

Not to miss food - the Fettucini Alfredo (always available), the egg rolls (1st night) and my DH says the Chocolate Flourless cake.

I have gotten SO much useful information from these boards as I have cruised over the past few years so I wanted to ask you if there are any special tips for a first time Princess Cruiser?

Thanks in advance for your help!

We are going to have a suite- is there somewhere special for lunch on embarkation day?

Assume by suite you mean full suite, not mini suite. Club Class Dining should be open from noon to 1:30 on boarding day. If not then one DR is open at the same time.

Don't forget full suite passengers get a comp. specialty dining meal on the first evening of the cruise. Call the DINE line for a reservation after you board.

In particular we are going without a drink package for the 1st time. It was just too expensive! I purchased a small bottle for my husband to be delivered and we will bring 1 bottles of wine.

Each adult is allowed to carry on without charge 1 x 750ml bottle of wine without charge. So you can carry on a total of two bottles without corkage fee if you wish.

Are there any drink specials throughout the cruise?

BOGO was in the Wheelhouse each day around 3-4pm and in Skywalker's late evening. Check the Princess Patter for times and locations.

Anything I should know about getting seats at various entertainment venues? How early do we need to get there?

All entertainment is walk in. For the 8pm hour theater shows arrive around 30 mins early. For the 'Magic to Do' show arrive at least 40 mins early. For the 10pm hour shows you can arrive maybe 20mins early. For comics in Explorer's Lounge, arrive 30 mins early.

Anything we should NOT miss on the menus?

Full Suites get Club Class DIning. Each day's menu is posted on the walls by the DR's

Do they make a good hamburger and hot dog somewhere on board?

Hamburgers are available at the grill by the pool. Burgers are also available in the DR's. If you want a special burger try the Gastropub at the Wheelhouse Bar. I believe it is only open in the evening.

Is there a specialty drink we should not miss?

See above

See above

I think SKNIGHT addressed everything. Only comment I have is I am not sure Crown has the Club Class until after the renovation in March-April 2018. I wish it was on now, as we are in a suite and concerned about the mattress being a crater as in pictures of one of the current Crown reviews in an owner's suite, which is the best you can get on Princess.

We did not care for Magic to Do, and left after 15 minutes. Bravo show; however, BEST SHOW EVER, we actually saw it on each back 2 back cruise it was sooooooo good. Do not miss this one.

You also are suppose to be able to order meals for lunch/dinner from the menu in your room. Nice rather than having to go to MDR for lunch.

Definitely do the fish and chips. Our favorite lunch of all time, but be prepared to be there early and wait in line.

Crown Princess. Check out Adagio on deck 16 (Sun Deck) across from Sabatini's. Nice quiet venue. You can read there during the day and the bar opens around 5:00 PM or so. Very nice and relaxing venue.

Ask if the wine package is available on your cruise. Note: A 15% gratuity is added to all package prices (like any other bar purchase).

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $210 (average of $21 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $240 (average of $20 per bottle)

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $336 (average of $28 per bottle)

Alternatively, if you want to carry on more wine than 1 per person, they will charge you $15 per bottle but you can bring to the dining room or drink in you cabin. Some people find it worth it in terms of cost and availability of their preferred wines.

Note that you cannot carry on hard liquor or beer.

International Cafe is a must. Fresh baked goods in the morning. Yummy homemade doughnuts. Sandwiches and salads and desserts later. I love the Fruit Tarts. This is all included in the cruise price. Coffee bar next to it is extra. Tip. Tea is extra, but only a very small fee for a little pot of tea. We also LOVE the adult only pool aft. Really pretty view. Good place to eat at the little tables too. I have been on the Crown twice and we are going back in Jan.

As suite passengers, you get a free minibar setup. You can call room service and swap out the contents for things you prefer - beer for liquor, coke for Diet Coke, etc. I do this as soon as I get to the suite.

Also, you’ll board first so virtually no waiting. We’ve only been on ships with Club Class dining and have had our embarkation lunch there. It’s a good way to meet the dining room people. On the last night of our cruise on the Diamond Princess (last week) the head waiter surprised me with a personally prepared Indian curry dinner. That was pretty special.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
Crown has club class already

We are going on Crown end of Jan 2018 and it does not have an option for Club Class. I thought they were getting it in April 2018? So, if they have Club Class it should be the new beds then?