Question regarding safety issues during Rio to Barcelona cruise

Phillygirl3

I have received feedback from several people that have travelled to Brazil (particularly Rio) and have warned me about property theft. My brother was attending a conference and one of his colleagues had his gold chain ripped off his neck while he was jogging near his upscale hotel. Others have told us to not wear any jewelry when we are out and about in Rio. Reading threads from those traveling in the Amazon region, passengers are told to leave all of their jewelry in their cabin safes, including their wedding rings. Has anyone heard about this issue or have received feedback from others who have visited Brazil. As always, thanks for your replies!

We have done the Cape Town to Rio itinerary twice and the Amazon itinerary once. While some people argue that it can be unsafe anywhere in the world, Rio (and some other parts of Brazil) are different than other cities (Barcelona for instance) where people simply pick your pockets. As indicated, jewelry can be ripped off of your neck. There are stories of locals using knives to remove a shoulder handbag (with no regard to whether the person holding the handbag is injured).

IMO, disembarking in Rio is the worst since you are carrying valuables and your passport on your person. This was the only time in my 30 years of traveling internationally when I purchased a leg passport/credit card holder. Rio is a beautiful place but please follow Regent's instructions. Leave wedding rings and jewelry on the ship - even if it is not in your safe, it is highly unlikely that anything will happen to it.

I've told this story numerous times. A couple was walking around the port area when a local saw that the woman was wearing a necklace. The kind local stopped them and suggested that they return to the ship and remove their jewelry. IMO, this says it all.

Yes, this is good advice! Use common sense and stay cautious at all times. We sailed down the coast of Brazil earlier this year and I personally did not witness any crime. I did hear that one man from our ship was robbed of his camera in Salvador, Brazil. We had to skip the port in Vitoria because the police were on strike and it was not safe. Also, be extra careful in Barcelona with respect to theft/pick pocketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by pjules

One time that we were in Rio, another traveler had his pants pockets slashed and wallet stolen. We manage to look as bad as possible in ports like this for obvious reasons. Barcelona is not much better. We were on Las Ramblas and five well dressed gentlemen surrounded my husband who is 6' 5" and tried to take the tote that he was carrying. It didn't have anything in it, but he would not let go. Another man came to his aid and the five thieves ran away.

Unfortunately, we now all live in a time where theft, pick pockets, crime all exist. Some areas are worse than others. Some of those places are in the US. This is not a problem only in Rio or Barcelona or Paris.

If I know I'm going to be "out and about" for any length of time, I leave ALL of my jewelry in the cabin or room safe AND unfortunately that isn't always secure either.

As other posters suggested, leave the valuables behind....chains are particulary attractive for theft, wallets with lots of cash visable, expensive hand bags, etc. I'm a huge fan of zippered inside pockets on jackets, John puts elastic bands on his wallet and carries it in his front pocket...(elastic makes it hard to get out). Some may find this distasteful, but I've been a huge fan of carrying some folding cash and one credit card in my slip on shoe. Did that in college and still works today....

Be pro active and you'll be fine!

Situational awareness. Always.

It's good that you're on here asking these questions - it means that you know a problem exists and you're trying to minimize your risk.

I don't know if I'm just naturally cautious or if my time in the military caused me to be 'on edge' (as my kids would say) but I always read up on my ports, take the necessary precautions, and always, always, always try and stay aware of my surroundings. Of course, that means I sometimes miss seeing something cool - but on the flip side, I've never been mugged or robbed yet (knock wood).

We've been to Barcelona many times, and yes there's a problem, especially in the tourist areas. You can take steps to mitigate the risk. Haven't been to Rio yet (scheduled to go next January) but I've heard the tales since the 80's about the level of crime there. It'll probably be one of the riskier places you'll visit, but if you take the necessary steps you should be fine. Forewarned is forearmed, or something like that.

In my experience, 99% of the people who get robbed in these places were doing something they shouldn't have - flashing cash, wearing flashy jewelry, wallets in open pockets, etc. You'll occasionally find the person who did everything right and still became a victim, but thieves are generally a lazy group and will seek out the easiest targets. Follow all the advice you can get and you should be good to go.

I personally find Barcelona much safer than Rio. Yes - you have to be very careful or someone might spill ketchup on you in order for you to be distracted while their partner gets your wallet but I have not heard of as many cases of people being injured as we hear of in Rio.

We have Brazilan friends who live in Recife. We have been visiting them for more than 45 years. The first time we were told to not wear jewelry or name brand (Nike) shoes. Every visit, there was something else added to the list. The last two trips, they assigned armed men to follow us everywhere. We have only experienced one time when they pulled out their guns but they have verbally told people to stay away. Our friends no longer go to Rio. They feel it is not safe. I have been to Rio several times and have no need to return but it is a beautiful city and everybody should go there at least once. But, be careful.

I have received feedback from several people that have travelled to Brazil (particularly Rio) and have warned me about property theft. My brother was attending a conference and one of his colleagues had his gold chain ripped off his neck while he was jogging near his upscale hotel. Others have told us to not wear any jewelry when we are out and about in Rio. Reading threads from those traveling in the Amazon region, passengers are told to leave all of their jewelry in their cabin safes, including their wedding rings. Has anyone heard about this issue or have received feedback from others who have visited Brazil. As always, thanks for your replies!

Yes, good advice.

There are still gangs in Brazil and others who look for tourists.

Leave Jewelry on the ship or if at a hotel in the safe.

I only wear a sports watch. My wife maybe some inexpensive earrings.

Use a travel wallet that fits under your shirt.

Don't walk around with an expensive camera. A small point and shoot is good.

Take say one credit card and one ATM card and some cash. Leave the rest on ship or in safe of Hotel.

Don't pull out a wad of money on the street or where people can see.

And be careful of your surroundings and be street smart.

We are careful when out an about. We don't go too far from where a lot of people are and this is a place that I would mainly do organized touring.

I would give you very similar advice for Buenos Aires.

Keith

Why anyone would wear any good jewelry (yes, even wedding ring) ashore is beyond me. Same thing goes for folks wearing lanyards with cards in them. You might as well put a visible note on the lanyard that says "PLEASE ROB ME."

When you're in any port city known for pickpockets, keep an eye out for those little kids with the bandaged fingers hiding the razor blade used to slice open the bottom of pants pockets and purses.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on a walking tour in Rio a couple of years ago and there was a young man who seemed to be following us. After a bit of time had passed and he still was there, I wandered up to the Guide and mentioned it. The answer: he is Security. Glad he was there!

Peggy

Buenos Aires is also bad as we disembarked there several years ago and had a guide to tour us around until our flight left. We went to a very nice restaurant in a nice neighborhood to have lunch and as I was entering the restaurant a young man came up behind me and ripped my go,d and diamond Rolex off my arm. I had on long sleeves and tried to kept it hidden but still happened. Then he jumped on a motorcycle which another young man was driving and sped away. The police were called and it was reported but they said they have had the same thing happen to them when driving their police car and their arm was out the window and a young man on a motorcycle sped by and ripped their watch off. I believe the entire South America area has a problem. As the police stated the drug dealers and gangs from Columbia are moving into all areas. Be safe and careful. Glad I went but not a place I would want to return to.

Kandy

Greetings, from South Beach, Everyone. We have been in Rio twice, and survived the visit unscathed because we were on a container ship, and our van was driven by an expert in the place. Captain Anderson had been stabbed in the the port previously and had taken no chances since then. including passengers. We don't intend to return there. Yet, we have been to Barcelona many times, and really enjoy it. The best defense is touring valuable free. Barcelona police have problems with pickpockets because local laws are not very supportive of their efforts. Taking thieves in is usually a revolving door. Pickpockets have net incomes that exceed what police make, and that is also rather discouraging. When leaving our hotel, we use taxi drivers called by the hotel, and we have never had a problem.

Mary

Not all cities are created equal. Its nonsense to say "it happens everywhere' , as if the % of incidents is the same regardless of the city. Rio has been for many, many years horrible. It goes from mugging to stealing the towel and flip flops you left while taking a swim in Copacabana beach, anything goes. As for Barcelona, pretty bad too, but I would say their thieves are more "sophisticated", and usually no violence is involved. Have I had a bad experience this way in either city? No, but that doesn't mean they're not infested with criminals. Just follow the good advice you're receiving and be aware of your surroundings.