Where do the tips go?

Dakotastar

My wife and I just got off the MSC DIVINA. A Beautiful ship. Our stateroom was in the Yacht club.

With that being said. Who gets the 12.50 a day per person $25.00 tip.

The $200.00 bucks going to someone.

Does any of this go to our Butler? Our staff in the restaurant Le Muse?

If someone knows I would like a break down.

This is from the MSC website. Even vaguer than the vague information other lines offer about their daily service charge:

WHAT ARE THE SERVICE CHARGES?

The service charge, which is calculated on a daily basis according to the length of the cruise, the destination and the ship, is charged by MSC Cruises at the end of the cruise. This service charge is divided among the staff who provide the hotel services on board. For this reason, no tips are required or payable.

So surprisingly MSC does not appear to suggest that Butlers and Concierges (and any other staff exclusive to the exclusive cabin classes such as Yacht Club) are not included in the pool and should be tipped separately according to the service received. Which is the expectation on most other lines.

As for a more specific distribution some cruise lines used to provide such a breakdown when automatic daily service charges began a decade or more ago. But not any more.

Like the above responses I would encourage you to post this question on the MSC board if only to confirm that the policy in writing is the actual policy in practice. A question that certainly should have been asked up front when booking the Yacht Club.

Thanks fishy for your answer. I had checked that policy when I got back to shore but as you stated it wasn't very specific. I have no problem tipping people I see and who services me but the ones I don't see I have a problem with (i.e maitre'd, wine steward, and especially on MSC the unused Concierge. Most of them you don't see until day 6 of a 7 night cruise. I will check with the MCS forum for answers.

Tips Definition

Tips are discretionary (optional or extra) payments determined by a customer that employees receive from customers. Tips include: (i) cash tips received directly from customers; (ii) tips from customers who leave a tip through electronic settlement or payment (this includes a credit card, debit card, gift card, or any other electronic payment method); (iii) the value of any noncash tips, such as tickets, or other items of value; and (iv) tip amounts received from other employees paid out through tip pools or tip splitting, or other formal or informal tip-sharing arrangements.

In general, the following factors characterize a payment as a tip:

1. The payment must be made free from compulsion;
      2. The customer must have the unrestricted right to determine the amount;
      3. The payment should not be the subject of negotiation or dictated by employer policy; and
      4. The customer should generally have the right to determine who receives the payment.

Absent these factors, the payment is likely a service charge.

Service Charges Definition

Amounts an employer requires a customer to pay are service charges. This is true even if the employer or employee calls the payment a tip or gratuity. Examples of service charges commonly added to a customer’s check include: (1) large dining party automatic gratuity; (2) banquet event fee; (3) cruise trip package fee; (4) hotel room service charge; and (5) bottle service charge (nightclubs, restaurants).

Generally, service charges are reported as non-tip wages paid to the employee. Some employers keep a portion of the service charges. Only the amounts distributed to employees are non-tip wages.

Tips Definition

Tips are discretionary (optional or extra) payments determined by a customer that employees receive from customers. Tips include: (i) cash tips received directly from customers; (ii) tips from customers who leave a tip through electronic settlement or payment (this includes a credit card, debit card, gift card, or any other electronic payment method); (iii) the value of any noncash tips, such as tickets, or other items of value; and (iv) tip amounts received from other employees paid out through tip pools or tip splitting, or other formal or informal tip-sharing arrangements.

In general, the following factors characterize a payment as a tip:

1. The payment must be made free from compulsion;
      2. The customer must have the unrestricted right to determine the amount;
      3. The payment should not be the subject of negotiation or dictated by employer policy; and
      4. The customer should generally have the right to determine who receives the payment.

Absent these factors, the payment is likely a service charge.

Service Charges Definition

Amounts an employer requires a customer to pay are service charges. This is true even if the employer or employee calls the payment a tip or gratuity. Examples of service charges commonly added to a customer’s check include: (1) large dining party automatic gratuity; (2) banquet event fee; (3) cruise trip package fee; (4) hotel room service charge; and (5) bottle service charge (nightclubs, restaurants).

Generally, service charges are reported as non-tip wages paid to the employee. Some employers keep a portion of the service charges. Only the amounts distributed to employees are non-tip wages.

I suppose the biggest difference is that one is discretionary while the other is mandatory.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAcxAAAAJDA4MWM2YzIwLThjM2YtNDE1Zi1iZTJjLTIyOWI4N2I4NzI1NA.jpg